Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oryx Chassis Initial Thoughts

Basic Member

Oryx Chassis Initial Thoughts

Just got in my long awaited Oryx chassis for a Savage 12FV transplant...so let's see what it looks like. When I started my Savage rifle adventure years ago the one thing I always wanted to improve was the stock. I always hated how flexy the Axis tupperware was and was and I quickly got rid of them. So I turned to Boyd's for some pretty laminate wood stocks. While I like the Boyd's price and customization options they always seem like another project. Next thing you know you are looking at pillars and bedding to firmly mount the action.

When I started on the 12FV craze I quickly tried out a B&C composite stock. Talk about plug and play. They felt like a bridge girder and the action fit like a glove with no needed modification. As my desire to shoot at longer distances started to grow I would look at a chassis system but the price always turned me away. When MDT announced their new budget Oryx line I was intrigued and took the plunge.

The chassis arrives in a plastic bag with 2 action screws, an eccentric drilled oval spacer that allows both 4.27" and 4.40" action screw spacing, a pre-inserted .25" length of pull spacer, adjustable cheek riser, instructions, and uhhh....that is it. So my thoughts...

1. It's heavy...With the LOP spacer installed it weighs 69.4oz. The stock is a 1 piece milled aluminum slab that is minimally covered in some cosmetic plastic. It looks to me that if they had the choice between strength or low weight, they went for extra metal. With the 24" barrel, empty 10rd mag, and Athlon TAC 6-24x50 scope I am at 13.34lbs.
    2. The mill work on the aluminum spine is quite good. The anodizing does not appear that thick though. It feels more like an old M16 parkerized finish.
    3. The plastic trim piece molding quality is acceptable. There are some obvious flash and mold marks. It mostly lines up with everything and is totally serviceable.
    4. The recoil pad is more firm than soft. Not as hard as a stock Boyd's leather strap but not a Pachmayr either.
    5. The magazine release paddle is huge and very positive. The spring is a torsion style wrapped around the pivot pin...not a cheap compression spring held in a tiny pocket.
    6. The grip has a nice moulding with positive feel. It's a somewhat grippy firm rubber. Appears to be AR15 compatible although looking at some I have lying around an extended beavertail might need to be trimmed down.
    7. The bottom of the fore grip is milled for Magpul M-LOK style accessories. At the very end is a drilled and tapped hole for a swivel stud, but none is provided.
    8. At the bottom rear of the chassis is a QD hole for a sling.

So then I mounted my 12FV action with its x-caliber .243 varmint profile barrel...the instructions mention -0- about the eccentric spacer and its use. Recommended screw torque is 60 in/lbs or "snug plus 1/4 turn".

1. The action screws fit perfect. The front screw did not hit the bolt head...yeah!
    2. Only the action itself actually sits on anything. The recoil lug bottom does not make contact.
    3. It mounts like my B&C, very firm and positive. The action screws quickly reach firmness and you can tell that last 1/4 turn locks up tight...nothing is flexing.
    4. The barrel milling relief is huge. A straight taper barrel would fit...and then some. This relief starts at the barrel nut and just continues on. If you like a tight, but not quite touching stock, this is not for you.
    5. There is no real flex in the front end. You can squeeze the barrel down a smidge if you try, but it really is stiff.
    6. The AICS magazines that I have fit very snugly. All I have is a 5 and 10 round Magpul. They both require a firm smack to seat if the bolt is closed. The 5 rounder rubs a bit on the front and back, but that could be fixed with some fine sandpaper. The feed lips *just* kiss the bolt head so no problems picking up the rounds.

So now to playing around with the mated action and chassis. One thing I notice is that either cycling the bolt or dropping the trigger gives you some "twanging". I think my wood Boyd's and composite B&C do a much better job of absorbing vibrations. Will this show up as a problem in shooting? I have no idea...

Overall I am pleased with this unit. I commend MDT/Oryx in bringing a cost effective chassis option to the masses. Hopefully I can get it out soon and see if it performs...

Attachment 5884Attachment 5881Attachment 5882Attachment 5883Attachment 5879Attachment 5880Attachment 5878Attachment 5877Attachment 5876

Great review, let us know how it shoots!

Basic Member
    Any update on the chassis. I purchased one also but have not had the chance to shoot.

Basic Member
    That pinging sound you hear is because the assembly doesn’t touch anywhere,allowing that tone to play itself out. This is a good thing. It means the barrel/action assembly can freely oscillate,making finding a node more easily.

Basic Member
    Took it out yesterday. Was working on 2 different bullets for my .243, the 108 gr Hornady ELD and a 107 gr Sierra. Put ~60 rounds through it and it shot beautifully. Had 2 sub 1/2 MOA groups and a 1/3 MOA with the 107s. The stock felt solid and very easy to work off of. I love the straighter grip and how you can really put -0- force on the chassis as you pull the trigger.

I only took the 5 round Magpul mag and it was tight and hard to seat. I need to just sand down the mould lines a tad and I think it would be much better. My 10 rounder seems to seat easier.

I am debating on pulling the plastic off and painting over the anodizing with some epoxy paint, just to give it a smoother look.

At any rate it didn't hurt my accuracy at all, and may have made it a tad batter. In fact it was shooting so good that I aimed for the push pin holding down my target and melted it into the backer. Still highly recommended!

Basic Member
    Thanks for the review! Looking to get one!

Basic Member
    Good review, thanks, ordered one today for 12FV, 25 Creedmoor build.

Nice review - thanks much for the photos :-)

Will

Basic Member
    The fun continues...took it out Sunday working on a load for the 108gr Hornady ELD-M. 41.5gr of H4350 got me to 2959fps and a .38" 5 shot group.

I am liking it so much that I am thinking of another one for my 12FV in .223. But it sure seems hard to find magazines, so on a whim I ordered a Ruger RPR mag hoping it was AICS enough to work. I had to trim some clearance notches and widen the feed lips a tad, but it will work. It's supposed to hold 10 rounds, and it will...but man are they tight. So consider it a 9 round mag.

Attachment 5940

Basic Member
    What was the delivery time for your stock? Was immediate or was there a lead time and made to order, for the Savage action? Just wondering....

Basic Member
    Mine took almost 2 months to arrive, but I think I was part of the pre-order. I am not sure of what the lead times are now...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    Mine took almost 2 months to arrive, but I think I was part of the pre-order. I am not sure of what the lead times are now...
    Thanks, because, I only received an order# and processing message. I try to be a patient person, but I don't even have a barrel yet either?!

I ordered mine on back in March and it took about 10 days for them to get it out to me. I did not order the LOP spacers and ended up ordering them later. They were on back order for a couple of weeks. If you did not order them I would recommend getting a set unless you are used to a short LOP.

Basic Member
    Nice looking rig. Once again I see us lefties are left out. Sigh......on the bright side, just saved $400

Basic Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Savage 12FV 25 creedmoor.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	238.6 KB 
ID:	5975
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonCO View Post
    Thanks, because, I only received an order# and processing message. I try to be a patient person, but I don't even have a barrel yet either?!
    12FV put together. Currently 6.5 Creedmoor, waiting for a 25 Creedmoor barrel......

Basic Member
    JasonCO, is that a Oryx magazine?

From reading this thread and another one on the same chasis... now 95% sure I want to order this chasis instead of the more expensive options.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninosdemente View Post

From reading this thread and another one on the same chasis... now 95% sure I want to order this chasis instead of the more expensive options.
    No, Magpul AIC. I have several chassis Savage's including the Oryx. I had to notch the mag feed lips to fit perfectly in the Oryx, that's the identifier on 2 mags.

Basic Member

I so far like the Oryx, but I also have an Element Gen 1 and the 10BA Stealth MDT.

Basic Member
    THanks. Have ordered the Oryx. I tried searching for other additional chassis but the Element Gen 1 did not show up. Did see that they have 3 discontinues chassis on sale at their webpage.

Basic Member
    So I finally got mine. Installed and I like it. Have to admit I had to come back to this thread as did look odd in some places. As mentioned by celltech, the barrel relief is quite a big difference. Did purchase the 5rd and 10rd magpul magazine. Have not tried the 10rd but the 5rd magazine, for me doesn't go in really smooth. But no worries, after a few repetitions will get use to it. It does not "click/hold" the magazine with ease, have to give it a somewhat smack to ensure it holds correctly. Did see where celltech mentions also the 5rd mag to rub on the back and front of the magazine, mine did as well.

Tightened the screws with wheeler at 60in lbs. Haven't bought a bipod for it yet. Not sure if to get a Mlock or a stud bipod. Decisions, decisions....

Basic Member
    JasonCo, on your picture you have two slots for rounds. Is it off a old piece cut to size and valcro? Just curious. Thanks.

Forgot to mentioned, the only bummer when ordering is that it doesn't allow you to choose color unless one buys the extra color pieces. Wasn't planning on spending an additional $40 just to have the others laying around. Wonder if those can be painted.

Basic Member
    Short Action Precision 2 round holderClick image for larger version. 

Name:	SAP 2 round holder.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	6020

Basic Member
    Thanks for the reply.

------

Celltech, when you mounted your stock to the rifle did you experience any bolt action stiffness when the screws were torqued? I have a problem where if torqued at 60 in lbs as indicated by instructions, my bolt action is stiff. If the screws are loosen just enough, then I don't have that problem as if it were torqued. Thanks.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the reply.

------

Celltech, when you mounted your stock to the rifle did you experience any bolt action stiffness when the screws were torqued? I have a problem where if torqued at 60 in lbs as indicated by instructions, my bolt action is stiff. If the screws are loosen just enough, then I don't have that problem as if it were torqued. Thanks.
    Sounds like your front action screw is hitting the bolt head. Loosen everything up and take out the bolt...then tighten again. Feel in the bolt chamber for the action screw and I bet it's just coming past the receiver threads. At this point you have 2 options. Either lightly grind down the stock bolt a smidge or upgrade to some nice grade 8 hex cap bolts. But you will still have to grind the cap bolt down to the right size...

Basic Member
    Thanks. Will try grinding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast