Thread: Savage has left a sour taste in my mouth...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    I started reading your post and was thinking, new barrel. Of course, that is exactly what you did and now you are happy. Sucks Savage did not help. My .223 Axis was problematic and I should have sent it back to Savage. It was shooting terribly low. I put Burris Signature Zee rings on it to correct this. I found that to be a pain, because I had to use the most extreme inserts. Groups were crappy at first. Similar to Charlie B and his Axis, mine starting grouping better the more I shot it. Fortunately, my groups instantly improved just at or past 75 rounds and not at 200 like his. I was just starting to reload and thought it was me. So, like you, I bought some factory ammo just to see and it did not help. I really should have sent that rifle back. I even had to buy a second pair of Burris rings since I stripped the screw holes on one having to taking the ring caps off and on playing with the ring inserts to correct the low shooting. I have no idea why it shot so far off, but it shoots pretty good now.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    I started reading your post and was thinking, new barrel. Of course, that is exactly what you did and now you are happy. Sucks Savage did not help. My .223 Axis was problematic and I should have sent it back to Savage. It was shooting terribly low. I put Burris Signature Zee rings on it to correct this. I found that to be a pain, because I had to use the most extreme inserts. Groups were crappy at first. Similar to Charlie B and his Axis, mine starting grouping better the more I shot it. Fortunately, my groups instantly improved just at or past 75 rounds and not at 200 like his. I was just starting to reload and thought it was me. So, like you, I bought some factory ammo just to see and it did not help. I really should have sent that rifle back. I even had to buy a second pair of Burris rings since I stripped the screw holes on one having to taking the ring caps off and on playing with the ring inserts to correct the low shooting. I have no idea why it shot so far off, but it shoots pretty good now.
    Thanks for the comments. I do understand that every fire arm manufacturer can put a lemon out. It does stink that I got one. It just took me back that Savage was no help. I even ordered the bottom metal through them which was not cheap and I explained to them I did this to try and improve accuracy. I explained to them all the things I tried (different bullets, scopes, bases, shooters....etc) and that I was not a simple person complaining about a rifle shooting bad with cheap bullets or because I'm new at shooting. I did everything I could, with the exception of fully bedding it and their best response was...we were able to get a 1.5inch 3 shot group with our precision ammo so there is nothing we can do for you. Heck, I would have even split the cost with them on a new barrel but they wouldn't have it. From now on I will either save for more expensive rifles from higher end manufacturers OR I will build the rifle myself out of savage actions. No more off the shelf rifles for me.