Thread: 93r17GV....accuracy, grapes went sour

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

93r17GV....accuracy, grapes went sour

Got my new rifle(93R17GV), broke it down, cleaned it, took scope bases(factory)off, three of the four screws were loose, one was so tight I thought it was going to strip or break off, re-mounted using lok-tite. The socket head screws are something I've seen before, or, they are just junk from china. I have all sorts of hex wrenches, metric and sae, even whitworth, and none will fit snugly in some of the screw heads. They are not all that way. I mounted scope (alignment was no problem) , peeked through the bore at my target and adjusted scope. First shot was 1" low, 1" right, got lucky, old eyes usually don't see that good. Shot a few rounds to get close to bullseye. Then the first three, 3 shot groups were just under 1" c to c. Got lucky again. Each group was with a different brand/type ammo. Cleaned the bore with Hoppes9 solvent. Back to the bench, groups went to around 2". Thought it needed to be "re-seasoned", so I shot 5, and let cool. Shot 5 and let cool. Still no joy. Gave the bore a J&B job.

Still the same results after quite a few rounds. Checked action screws, they were not tight, I had torqued them to 18" when I re assembled. They actually had not loosened, the stock had compressed,,,with only 18 inch lbs torque on the front, and a little less on the rear. This is the "GV" model with the plain beechwood(or whatever) stock. This wood is like styrofoam. I have re-tightened the action screws several times, they just keep compressing the wood more. I made a new piece of bottom metal a little longer that eliminated the "wood screw". No change. While I had the stock off the action, I found the rear mount (the thing the screw goes into) was loose. Tightened and applied lok-tite.

Also had numerous FTF's with different brand/type ammo. The safety took a gorilla to move from safe to fire, adjusted the spring(bent it a bit) and applied a little moly,,, better. From the git go the magazine was out of alignment and would have to be twisted to get it seated,,removed the burr from the cutout in the receiver that was the mag was catching on. I know this is not an expensive rifle, but it IS a SAVAGE. I don't mind tweaking and touching up a few small things, but the quality control guy must have been on smoke break when this one went through. I have two other fairly recent rifles made by savage (and one is an AXIS) , and no problems with them, with a little tweaking, they both shoot sub moa . The "GV" stock is not worth trying to pillar & bed. There is not much material to work with. I read "NH Shooter's" great write up on the laminated stock, and I guess I may have to do something like that. There goes my "bargain rifle" . I've been over the accuracy check routine several times: Scope tracked perfect while zeroing, bases/rings screws tight, all other threaded items tightened, different brand/type ammo, etc., etc. ANY IDEAS APPRECIATED. Long post,but I probably still left out something Thanks,,,,,,,Gary
    Last edited by gwtx; 10-27-2014 at 09:50 AM.