Two years ago I bought a Savage 12-112 Varminter in 22-250. I like it because I can easily change barrels. I worked up a load using a Sierra 60 gn bullet with H380 powder at 3612 fps. I was getting groups inside 1/2" and many tighter. I even got two groups in a 1/4" group. Before I left for Utah to Prairie Dog hunt I had shot about 300 to 400 rounds and my groups were 5/8" to 3/4" and I didn't understand what was happening. When I began shooting the P Dogs I was getting them out to 250 yds easily. The more I shot the looser my groups got and I stopped shooting when the groups were 1/1/2" at 100 yds.

When I got home and did some research I found the barrel was coppered up. I was not familiar with shooting that fast a cartridge. I used a lot of copper cleaners and JB bore polish and the best I can get with that barrel now is 3/4" groups. The barrel has no copper in it now.

Last year I bought two Shilen barrels one 22-250 and one 308 in competition grade. I haven't shot the 308 yet. but the 22-250 is holding 1/2" or better groups, depending on how steady I am that day. I am using Lapua cases, Sierra 65 gn SBT bullets, 29.6 of R15, CCI 200 primers and .030" jump for the bullet. I am ready for the P Dogs this summer now.

My question is, is there any hope the Savage barrel can ever get back to the 1/2" or better groups it was getting when new before it was coppered up?

I asked Savage if I could buy a barrel for it but they said I had to send it to the factory to get a new barrel. I found that a little ridiculous because With my wrench I can break the nut loose, unscrew the barrel, put in a new barrel with a head space gauge set the barrel and tighten the nut and that is exactly what they will do. The original barrel was so accurate I couldn't believe the groups I was getting. I am not wild about sending my rifle back to them so I guess I won't get a new Savage barrel.

Now that I have a good load for the Shilen I am planning to try that load in the Savage barrel, maybe before I head for Utah this summer. It only takes a few minutes to change barrels and I can even do it in the field when P Dog hunting.

I sure do love this rifle, a little more than I love my 1903 Springfield 30-06 that is sporterized that I have owned since 1962. Both are great rifles.