Thanks, gents, sounds like the SSS kit will be worth a try; it's a cheap fix if it works.

I didn't even know they made this gun in x39 caliber. I had a .308 Scout for years, loved it, but sold it when I eventually got my hands on a Steyr. When this one in x39 came up locally it took me about 10 seconds to make the call and buy it. I have no plans to reload for it, at least not until I work my way through a few cases of the milsurp stuff. I doubt I'll hunt with it either, but I do enjoy plinking with it.

Newtosavage, do you know of a source for aftermarket magazines for this gun? The previous owner told me that he had a difficult time locating spare mags for it; I have only two mags total, and I would love to find some 10-rounders if they exist. Any leads?

Funny, I once owned a bunch of Savages, but recently sold off most of my collection of guns (getting to the point where there are more guns to shoot than there are years left to shoot them in...). I just discovered this site very recently; wish I'd found it years ago.