My rule of thumb is to reset the head space when I change the bolt head. It's easy. If you don't have the tools, perhaps you can borrow them from a fellow Savage shooter.

I use a go-gauge first and then apply a piece of clear packing tape to the gauge and use that as a no-go.

You should check your firing pin protrusion. I'm not going to look up the specs for you, you can do that easily enough yourself. You might need to reduce the protrusion if your primers look bad when there is no chance of over pressure. It's easy enough to adjust the primer protrusion stop once you take the bolt apart. Google will provide you with videos.

Hint. Put an allen wrench in the assembly bolt in such a way that when you put the bolt down on the floor, you can step on the rear part of the bolt and have the bolt handle and allen wrench work in such a way to unscrew the bolt. Use a cloth or piece of carpet to protect from scratches. Savage typically puts the assembly bolt on with a LOT of torque and it's hard to get it loose the first time. Again, there are YouTube instructions for this if what I wrote doesn't make sense.