Yes I agree that there's many mixed feelings as to the crimp or no crimp debate. In most circumstances the crimp is for the purpose of holding the bullet seat depth for cartridges in the mag which experience recoil. When I first started doing loads for my .223 chambered 12fv I had slight high pressure signs for loads I shouldn't have when crimped. The thing I don't like about crimping is that the strength/tightness of crimp is not specified and is completely subjective to the reloaders ideals. These ideals of crimp pressure, along with the resulting case pressures, can vary a bit. I don't crimp on any of my bolt rig loads, not even on my 6.5 or 6 creedmoor match rifles and don't experience any slippage on bullet seating depth. For what it's worth, my gunsmith (a very talented long range shooter, good friend, and also current/former ga precision and badger gunsmith) advises against the crimp for low recoil cartridges in bolt guns, ar15's, and any cartridge in a bench rest type single shot rig. The lack of neck tension in some of the single shot bench rest rigs I've seen is insane. One I've seen, the users loads are jammed into the lands by ten thou and he can't unload a chambered round if unfired without the assistance of a cleaning rod because it pulls the bullet from the case. Lol. Just stupid imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk