Quote Originally Posted by Scott Evans View Post
SR primer crater in itself is not a sign of impending doom. Add a crater with an ejector wipe, difficult bolt release, expanded head and loose primer pocket, it is.
I agree. If my sweet load for a rifle happens to flatten the primer slightly, I typically don't sweat it. The ejector wipe (as well as the other signs you've mentioned) is a definite high pressure sign and should be noted. I like to use good quality brass, so I do what I can to prolong its life. So long as I'm not giving up accuracy to avoid slightly above ideal pressures, and by that I mean a little bit of flattening of the primers. Anything more than that and I will back down the charge, play with seating depth, or even try a different bullet all together. My go to are Berger 140gr vld hunting, and 110gr hybrids for long range rigs (a 6.5 creed, and 6 creed), and for my coyote rigs I run sierra game king 65gr btsp's on my .223's, and 75gr swift sciroccos(great performing bullets with a very high bc, but the cost is higher than giraffe p#**¥)for my 1:8 twist 22-250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk