Thread: Magazine swaps? What works with model 11 bottom release

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    jayman412
    I bought a used Model 111 FXP4 7mm Rem Mag. Serial # G423***, non Accutrigger made about 2003. This was a package deal with sling and Simmons 3-9x40 8 Point scope. It has a 24 inch barrel, a 3 round stagger stack fed, blind magazine This fine shooter has harvested deer 4 out of 5 years, would have been 5 for 5 but the Simmons scope failed. I would like to take this out west and harvest an elk. I will need upgrades and/or modifications like an new mil dot scope and replace the 3 round capacity blind magazine with a 4 round capacity removable magazine, or another 7mm, prior to heading west.

This spring I replaced the scope with a gift I received, a Leapers UTG 3-12x44. To mount the shorter 30mm tube scope, I needed a Weaver Rail, another gift. The problem now, (or OPPORTUNITY to further customize or modify) to insert a round from the top side with the Weaver Rail is difficult. I can see this becoming a dexterity issue as I age. I called Savage today and looked into a new stock and removable magazine. They can add a removable mag to a center stack blind magazine, but I have a stagger stack blind magazine, no parts at Savage to add a removable magazine for the stagger stack design.

I need to add a removable magazine to this fine shooter, and modify or replace or the stock. I could replace the scope and ditch the Weaver Rail but I love the scope, but I still need to add a larger capacity, removable magazine before I go west. Time to make a new Christmas list... and go semi auto?

Has anyone modified this gun to a removable mag and are there after market parts available to modify?
    Should I just drop this off to the gun smith and let him work his wonders???
    Should I sell it and buy a new or used Savage 7mm Rem Mag with the removable magazine?
    Any ideas or insight would be wonderful, all constructive advice welcome, if you can help me move this to a NEW THREAD, I am unable to create a NEW THREAD. WHY?

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by jayman412 View Post
    I bought a used Model 111 FXP4 7mm Rem Mag. Serial # G423***, non Accutrigger made about 2003. This was a package deal with sling and Simmons 3-9x40 8 Point scope. It has a 24 inch barrel, a 3 round stagger stack fed, blind magazine This fine shooter has harvested deer 4 out of 5 years, would have been 5 for 5 but the Simmons scope failed. I would like to take this out west and harvest an elk. I will need upgrades and/or modifications like an new mil dot scope and replace the 3 round capacity blind magazine with a 4 round capacity removable magazine, or another 7mm, prior to heading west.

This spring I replaced the scope with a gift I received, a Leapers UTG 3-12x44. To mount the shorter 30mm tube scope, I needed a Weaver Rail, another gift. The problem now, (or OPPORTUNITY to further customize or modify) to insert a round from the top side with the Weaver Rail is difficult. I can see this becoming a dexterity issue as I age. I called Savage today and looked into a new stock and removable magazine. They can add a removable mag to a center stack blind magazine, but I have a stagger stack blind magazine, no parts at Savage to add a removable magazine for the stagger stack design.

I need to add a removable magazine to this fine shooter, and modify or replace or the stock. I could replace the scope and ditch the Weaver Rail but I love the scope, but I still need to add a larger capacity, removable magazine before I go west. Time to make a new Christmas list... and go semi auto?

Has anyone modified this gun to a removable mag and are there after market parts available to modify?
    Should I just drop this off to the gun smith and let him work his wonders???
    Should I sell it and buy a new or used Savage 7mm Rem Mag with the removable magazine?
    Any ideas or insight would be wonderful, all constructive advice welcome, if you can help me move this to a NEW THREAD, I am unable to create a NEW THREAD. WHY?
    Contact CDI

jayman412
    Thanks Drybean. I will look up CDI.