Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: B&C Medalist for Model 10 with bottom bolt release & factory DBM

choclabs

B&C Medalist for Model 10 with bottom bolt release & factory DBM

New Product Release

[IMG][/IMG]

Part #1012, Savage M40 Style Varmint Tactical Riflestock
    Model 10 & 12 with 4.4” screw hole spacing
    (Varmint & Heavy barrel, Short Action with Factory Detachable Bottom Magazine)
    (Bottom or Top Bolt Release)

Bell and Carlson is pleased to announce that we have added the Savage M40 Style Riflestock to our Medalist lineup. The stock is designed as a “drop-in” to fit the short action Savage Model 10 & 12, with 4.4” Short Action with factory detachable magazine.
    The M40 Style Savage riflestock incorporates 2 front and 1 rear sling studs, a premium Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad, and can be ordered in any of the available finishes we offer.

This Stock, like all in the Medalist line, has a full length aluminum bedding system that is computer designed and CNC machined out of aircraft grade 6061-T6 aluminum. The aluminum block extends through he forearm to add strength and stiffness and also has an aluminum “tail piece” from the bedding block through the grip area to add rigidity to strengthen the stock. The stock is designed to be “free-floated”.

Team Savage
    Are these so new they are not available yet? Can't find anyone who has some.

Basic Member
    Hmmm.... I've been waiting on these but they seem to still not be available for purchase anywhere. I don't like this style so much though... I am more into the A2 Medalist.

Basic Member
    Stockys is taking pre-orders now

Basic Member
    These are in production currently:
    1012 Bottom Bolt Release
    1014 Top Bolt Release

M40 style is a great balance between a full vertical grip stock and a traditional hunting stock.

I cannot say for sure, but I believe CDI is producing a DM that will drop into the factory Accustock as well as this stock. The profile will mate up to the bottom contour of the stock with a much cleaner look. This will allow the use of AICS mags with no inletting what so ever.

choclabs
    Thank you for your update on production status.

Questions: Do you know if the Aluminum bedding block in these stocks utilizes a V block design?
    Or do these stocks have embedded pillars from the factory?

Stupid question, but what are the physical differences between 1012 and 1014?

choclabs
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    Stupid question, but what are the physical differences between 1012 and 1014?
    M40 Tactical style, DMB Medalist 1012 (heavy bbl) Bottom bolt release.
    M40 Tactical style, DMB Medalist 1014 (heavy bbl) Top bolt release.

Quote Originally Posted by choclabs View Post
    M40 Tactical style, DMB Medalist 1012 (heavy bbl) Bottom bolt release.
    M40 Tactical style, DMB Medalist 1014 (heavy bbl) Top bolt release.
    Yes, thank you...that does not address the PHYSICAL DIFFERENCES between the two stocks, both of which are designed for centerfeed short actions.

Basic Member
    1012 top, 1014 bottom

Action Portion of Bedding Block

Both 1012 and 1014 share the same tool in production as well as the same block. The cut illustrated in the first picture on the 1014 is the only physical difference.

Thank you for the photos.

Based on them, am I safe to assume that there is nothing preventing one from running a bottom bolt release action in the 1014 top release stock, and that the difference is simply inletting for the top bolt release mechanism?

Thanks!

Red Hawk Rifles has the 1012 and 1014 in stock; I ordered a tan 1012 yesterday, it should arrive at my house Friday.

Review to come...

choclabs

Nice to know!

Red Hawk Rifles has the 1012 and 1014 in stock; I ordered a tan 1012 yesterday, it should arrive at my house Friday.

Review to come...
    Congratulations on your purchase! I know there are many of us looking forward to hearing about some range results from your project. Furthermore it will be most interesting if you choose to at first try the stock without bedding applied to see what results you can obtain in that configuration. Best of luck with which ever direction you choose to follow.

Will these work on the 11vt with bottom bolt release?

choclabs

Contact B&C

Quote Originally Posted by 300rem7 View Post
    Will these work on the 11vt with bottom bolt release?
    My best advice is to send B&C an email with an exact description of what your action is and they will reply with the correct answer. One of their plant workers may even read your post and offer his answer to your query as he has posted pictures of actual aluminum blocks being machined further up in this thread.

Basic Member
    I would be over the moon if someone posted a photo of the M40 stock with an Accurate-Mag and, or a CDI DBM to see how it compares to the factory setup (which looks perfect and flush).

If they fit just as well as the factory DBM I would sell two McMillian/CDI stocks and buy two B&C stocks! It's always bugged me how the CDI doesn't fit flush with my McMillian stock.

Poorly lit/terrible iPhone picture time!!!

Savage 11 Trophy Predatory Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor with Vortex HS-T 4-16x44, Burris XTR low, Weaver 20MOA base

I ordered the stock from Red Hawk Rifles on Monday (happened to notice they were added to their website and showed in stock); shipped Monday afternoon and arrived at my house today (Friday).

The DBM inlet was *very* snug, but factory steel metal fit with no problem.

As you can see, the tang does not appear to be floated.

Feels MUCH better prone than the factory tupperware.

Allah willing, I'll be able to shoot it early next week (my steel magazine bases are scheduled to arrive from Savage on Monday).

Basic Member
    thanks for the pics, i couldn't hold off on these so i purchased one in green for my bottom bolt release. it shipped the same day i ordered it and should be here this wednesday. now for the wait!!!!

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Basic Member
    Well done to B&C for inletting the M40 for Savage rifles. The DBM inlet and the general fit and finish looks great.

choclabs

Great pics - B&C gives good fit!

Poorly lit/terrible iPhone picture time!!!

Savage 11 Trophy Predatory Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor with Vortex HS-T 4-16x44, Burris XTR low, Weaver 20MOA base

I ordered the stock from Red Hawk Rifles on Monday (happened to notice they were added to their website and showed in stock); shipped Monday afternoon and arrived at my house today (Friday).

The DBM inlet was *very* snug, but factory steel metal fit with no problem.

As you can see, the tang does not appear to be floated.

Feels MUCH better prone than the factory tupperware.

Allah willing, I'll be able to shoot it early next week (my steel magazine bases are scheduled to arrive from Savage on Monday).
    I assume that you mounted w/o bedding, since you have it in place same day of arrival. I have only had 1 Savage rifle so far, Model 10 Predator Hunter Max 1 w/fluted 24" barrel in caliber .243WIN. I now have a brand new, 1 box of cartridges shot through it, exact same Savage factory barrel in 6.5 CM for my rifle, with a Farrell 10MOA steel rail. Was able to pick it up from a guy on Predator Masters forum for $133.00 delivered.

I am grateful to you and others who will prove this stock to the Savage forum members. Should we be concerned that the tang is not floated, relative to accuracy? Best of luck with your range session, looking forward to seeing some great results. And thanks for showing us the factory inlet fit on this B&C stock!

Basic Member
    I have a Hog Hunter in 308. Can it be modified to use in this stock.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Basic Member
    I ordered mine from RedHawk on Thursday and should get here on Friday... Thanks for the pics Boilerup! I can't wait to get mine. I'll post pics here since it will be green with black webbing.
    Last edited by Russmerle; 03-31-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by devildogandboy View Post
    thanks for the pics, i couldn't hold off on these so i purchased one in green for my bottom bolt release. it shipped the same day i ordered it and should be here this wednesday. now for the wait!!!!

Bruce
    just as they said, it would be here wednesday and it arrived today. i get the barreled action mounted up tomorrow and try to get it out in the next day or so. looks nice!

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Basic Member
    Let us know how it goes. I suspect there's a bunch of people waiting to see how these work.

Put another 50 through the 11 Trophy Predator Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor with #1012 Medalist yesterday...in four 5-shot 100yd groups, average group size was a tick under 0.7" with the best group coming in at a hair over 0.4" using the generic 140gr Creedmoor "box" recipe (41.5gr H4350, 140gr HPBT, 2.81" COAL). Without a flier increasing one group to just under 1", the average size would have been right at 0.6".

The rifle has also shot factory 140gr Amax loads (lot 314xxxx) very well, consistently producing similar results.

Compared with the factory tupperware, the M40 Medalist has a higher cheekweld and is more stable off a bipod. The grip is also slightly more vertical than the factory stock, which I prefer. While I'm not sure the stock changed the mechanical accuracy of the system, with those ergonomic changes the stock provides I am more comfortable behind the rifle, which has improved MY results. That said, the cheekweld is still a *bit* lower than I'd prefer using a 20MOA base with Vortex HST 4-16x and Burris XTR 30mm low rings, but with a Triad stock pack it is juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust right.

I currently own a McMillan A5 and a Manners T2, and while both are GREAT stocks I think the M40 Medalist provides exceptional value.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast