Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Savage Stealth in 6.5 - First impressions.

Basic Member

Set it up with some MOA to start with. I put 40 MOA into Burris XTR Extreme rings and have over 60 MOA of up elevation in my scope allowing me to dial all the way out to 1400 yards with the 6.5. The downside is the closer to the edge of the scope you are you might lose some clarity and the tracking might be off.

So my 6.5 stealth came with a 22" barrel, do I stay with the 22" length or have the 24" barrel installed. What are the pro and cons? Anyone shot the 22" and changed to a 24"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Thank you very much guys for explanation on 20 MOA.
    One more thing, almost forgot. I purchased Varmint (Target) spring from Gun Shack. Ones I open rifle for maintenance, I found that spring on my Stealth looks exactly the same as spring I received. I counted coils, measured wire diameter, everything to get an idea if there any difference and found non. I cranked original spring down to minimum pull weight and found that spring doesn't need to be replaced. I measured 1 lb 10 oz. I am good with this number.

Hawaiian
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmaris View Post
    I cranked original spring down to minimum pull weight and found that spring doesn't need to be replaced. I measured 1 lb 10 oz. I am good with this number.
    That's the same pull I got after adjusting it down. You're a smarter man than I am. I changed the trigger just to be able to go lower.

Hawaiian
    Quote Originally Posted by jfoote208 View Post
    So my 6.5 stealth came with a 22" barrel, do I stay with the 22" length or have the 24" barrel installed. What are the pro and cons? Anyone shot the 22" and changed to a 24"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    On page 5 or 6 there were a few people that got the 22 inch barrels instead of the 24 inch ones. You and call Savage and have them put on a 24.
    I think CBryars2 was able to get a non fluted 24 inch put on when he sent it back to Savage.

Here's a link to an article that'll show you how much the difference in velocity is with various bullets with different barrel length.
    http://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-5-creedmoor-effect-of-barrel-length-on-velocity-cutting-up-a-creedmoor/

Basic Member
    I also bought a BA Stealth in 6.5 creedmoor over the holidays and it came with the 22" barrel. I am working on my load, but it looks like I will be right around 2800fps with Nosler 140 RDF. According to that article I would not pick up that much more velocity. I think it is accurate with the 22" and a little easier to maneuver. I am thinking that I am going to stick with the 22" instead of losing the rifle for 3-6 weeks for rebarrel.

Basic Member
    I think having rifle to know to be 24" barrel with actual length 22" will eventually loos it resale value. I would hesitate to loose opportunity to re-barrel her back to spec over loosing 3-4 weeks of fun.

I was about 1/2 moa with 22, went ahead and rebarrelled and had them not flute. Glad I did, rifle is even better. Took 4 weeks door to door.

At Precision Rifle Blog in their end of year match show a guy shooting what looks to be a Savage Stealth in Production class. Looking for more info.

Inspector12
    I have read this thread with great interest as I have recently put a stealth in 6.5 creedmore on layaway at a local gun shop. Many good observations already shared and several good suggestions such as the 20 moa rail and some other "improvements". Looking forward to picking this gun up and then putting some glass on it and taking it to the range.

i used the EGW 20 MOA, it is a winner. If you are going to 1000 yd and beyond the 20 MOA helps alot. Only reason to not get it is 70 bucks. Get the solid model not the one with the v in it for using open sights. I use same scope on 3 tealths so rail was only practical way to go for me. Mount is a Larue.

Shot suppressor on 6.5 for first time, POI was about 1.5" lower at 100. Rezero'd and all is well. Will try and scan targets tomorrow.

Basic Member
    Brought from work calibrated digital force gauge and remeasured trigger pull. Happened to be very surprising for me-#1.3. Re-measured numeros times, but result is the same. How bad can it be? Checked for trigger lock up and couldn't replicated the way people described (pulled trigger sideways and other symptoms) on different forums. Feels really good!

Basic Member
    Got my foam finaly done
    [IMG][/IMG]

Hawaiian
    That's nice Palmaris. What did you use to cut that out?

Basic Member
    That was done on waterjet. I created design in Solidworks, then was decoded to CNC waterjet and cut. Then second layer was bonded to first.

What case are you using, looks great.

Basic Member
    Thank you very much.
    this will fit in Pelican 1720 (I think this is correct nmber) and will fit to 42" Explorer case.

Basic Member
    I am about to buy a 20 MOA base, but I have a few questions. I assume I just buy the standard Savage 10 through 16 short action? Do I need a round or flat rear?

Hawaiian
    Quote Originally Posted by icker96 View Post
    I am about to buy a 20 MOA base, but I have a few questions. I assume I just buy the standard Savage 10 through 16 short action? Do I need a round or flat rear?
    Afternoon Icker this one from EGW will work. Just remember to select the 8-40 screws.
    http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts/savage-round-back-short-action-picatinny-rail-scope-mount-20-moa/

Sharp Shooters Supply
    Has one that will work, you just have specify the 8-40 screws for a Stealth when you email Lisa.
    http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/SSS_ScopeMounts.html

Basic Member

Savage Stealth in 6.5 - First impressions.

Range report: 0.5 MOA or better rifle

Went shooting today. Zeroed at 100 again since had to take off my scope to locktite the rail then shot some 100 and 200 yard groups. This thing shoots tight with 140 ELD-M from Hornady!

Rifle on Bench

200 Yard Group! 0.28 MOA

100 Yard Group 1 - 0.36 MOA

100 Yard Group 2 - 0.4 MOA

Basic Member
    Pretty good mpressive groups!!
    i went today to re-zero my rifle due to the maintence I mentioned bofore. I was need to move POI 2" down and 1.5 left. Found interesting thing for my self. I made monopod, it has zero play in the moving thread, up and down moves like butter. But, using monopod I couldn't get group better then 1.5". I start worry and just heck of a trial remove monopod. Miracle! Group went down bellow 1"!!! I need to analyze why is this. For sure won't use monopod again.

Palmaris: Really like what you've done to the Stealth (except that wacky grip). You've inspired me to buy the xlr stock and folder. I'm also planning on a SWFA SS scope. How do you like that 12x42? I have about 7 months to wait before I can get the rifle. I plan on buying the scope before that to play with on another gun. Anyhow, you have a sweet rig! Nice work.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
    Afternoon Icker this one from EGW will work. Just remember to select the 8-40 screws.
    http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts/savage-round-back-short-action-picatinny-rail-scope-mount-20-moa/

Sharp Shooters Supply
    Has one that will work, you just have specify the 8-40 screws for a Stealth when you email Lisa.
    http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/SSS_ScopeMounts.html
    Thanks. Spoke with Lisa today at SSS and ordered from them. She was very nice and easy to work with. They have MOA rail in stock and are expecting 8-40 screws by end of the week.

Basic Member
    Bhowell, what height are your Burris XTR rings and scope objective diameter?

Thanks