Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Savage Stealth in 6.5 - First impressions.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Brought from work calibrated digital force gauge and remeasured trigger pull. Happened to be very surprising for me-#1.3. Re-measured numeros times, but result is the same. How bad can it be? Checked for trigger lock up and couldn't replicated the way people described (pulled trigger sideways and other symptoms) on different forums. Feels really good!

Basic Member
    Got my foam finaly done
    [IMG][/IMG]

Hawaiian
    That's nice Palmaris. What did you use to cut that out?

Basic Member
    That was done on waterjet. I created design in Solidworks, then was decoded to CNC waterjet and cut. Then second layer was bonded to first.

What case are you using, looks great.

Basic Member
    Thank you very much.
    this will fit in Pelican 1720 (I think this is correct nmber) and will fit to 42" Explorer case.

Basic Member
    I am about to buy a 20 MOA base, but I have a few questions. I assume I just buy the standard Savage 10 through 16 short action? Do I need a round or flat rear?

Hawaiian
    Quote Originally Posted by icker96 View Post
    I am about to buy a 20 MOA base, but I have a few questions. I assume I just buy the standard Savage 10 through 16 short action? Do I need a round or flat rear?
    Afternoon Icker this one from EGW will work. Just remember to select the 8-40 screws.
    http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts/savage-round-back-short-action-picatinny-rail-scope-mount-20-moa/

Sharp Shooters Supply
    Has one that will work, you just have specify the 8-40 screws for a Stealth when you email Lisa.
    http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/SSS_ScopeMounts.html

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
    Afternoon Icker this one from EGW will work. Just remember to select the 8-40 screws.
    http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts/savage-round-back-short-action-picatinny-rail-scope-mount-20-moa/

Sharp Shooters Supply
    Has one that will work, you just have specify the 8-40 screws for a Stealth when you email Lisa.
    http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/SSS_ScopeMounts.html
    Thanks. Spoke with Lisa today at SSS and ordered from them. She was very nice and easy to work with. They have MOA rail in stock and are expecting 8-40 screws by end of the week.

Basic Member

Savage Stealth in 6.5 - First impressions.

Range report: 0.5 MOA or better rifle

Went shooting today. Zeroed at 100 again since had to take off my scope to locktite the rail then shot some 100 and 200 yard groups. This thing shoots tight with 140 ELD-M from Hornady!

Rifle on Bench

200 Yard Group! 0.28 MOA

100 Yard Group 1 - 0.36 MOA

100 Yard Group 2 - 0.4 MOA

Basic Member
    Bhowell, what height are your Burris XTR rings and scope objective diameter?

Thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFretired View Post
    Bhowell, what height are your Burris XTR rings and scope objective diameter?

Thanks
    Burris XTR Rings (420210 Part #) 1 inch tall 34MM Rings. The scope objective is 50MM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhowell View Post
    Burris XTR Rings (420210 Part #) 1 inch tall 34MM Rings. The scope objective is 50MM.

Thank you for the information. I have the Bushnell Elite Tactical LRTSI 4.5-18x44mm to put on mine. 30mm tube.

Basic Member
    Pretty good mpressive groups!!
    i went today to re-zero my rifle due to the maintence I mentioned bofore. I was need to move POI 2" down and 1.5 left. Found interesting thing for my self. I made monopod, it has zero play in the moving thread, up and down moves like butter. But, using monopod I couldn't get group better then 1.5". I start worry and just heck of a trial remove monopod. Miracle! Group went down bellow 1"!!! I need to analyze why is this. For sure won't use monopod again.

Betterlate
    Most shooters Ive spoken to Prefer sand bags front and rear to reduce the hard surface bounce off bi-pods and mono-pods unless the ground is soft.

Palmaris: Really like what you've done to the Stealth (except that wacky grip). You've inspired me to buy the xlr stock and folder. I'm also planning on a SWFA SS scope. How do you like that 12x42? I have about 7 months to wait before I can get the rifle. I plan on buying the scope before that to play with on another gun. Anyhow, you have a sweet rig! Nice work.

Basic Member
    Anyone Chronographed the Hornady ELD-M 140gr Match factory ammo out of a 24" Stealth barrel?

I can't reconcile my personal experience (+0.3 Mil) at 200 yards with the Ballistics AE app (+0.4 Mil) after reviewing all the inputs. I can get it to align if I put the bullet speed at 2800 FPS but the box indicates 2710 FPS. I'm using the G7 BC of .326 which I understand is appropriate for longer boat tailed bullets.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhowell View Post
    Anyone Chronographed the Hornady ELD-M 140gr Match factory ammo out of a 24" Stealth barrel?

I can't reconcile my personal experience (+0.3 Mil) at 200 yards with the Ballistics AE app (+0.4 Mil) after reviewing all the inputs. I can get it to align if I put the bullet speed at 2800 FPS but the box indicates 2710 FPS. I'm using the G7 BC of .326 which I understand is appropriate for longer boat tailed bullets.
    I am using data from Strelok Pro and they have G7 number for 140 gr ELD-M which is .326 as well. I guess Boris just get that number from Box or Hornady web site
    Strelok Pro using 2675 f/s @42F velocity and at 200 yards it is +.46 MRAD

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmaris View Post
    I am using data from Strelok Pro and they have G7 number for 140 gr ELD-M which is .326 as well. I guess Boris just get that number from Box or Hornady web site
    Strelok Pro using 2675 f/s @42F velocity and at 200 yards it is +.46 MRAD
    Double check the data on strelok. I use that program and find errors on some of there bullets.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Double check the data on strelok. I use that program and find errors on some of there bullets.
    Thank you Sir for warning. I will.
    Did you find for 6.5 Creedmoor or for other calibers? I have direct contact to the guy and can point him to this errors.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkhuntclub View Post
    Palmaris: Really like what you've done to the Stealth (except that wacky grip). You've inspired me to buy the xlr stock and folder. I'm also planning on a SWFA SS scope. How do you like that 12x42? I have about 7 months to wait before I can get the rifle. I plan on buying the scope before that to play with on another gun. Anyhow, you have a sweet rig! Nice work.
    Thank you very much Sir.
    First of all, this SS scopes were tested and qualified for Navy Seals, they are still on the list, meaning company must to hold everything the way it was qualified. If this is good for Navy Seals, it is definitely good for me!
    I have similar scope (12X42 Mil-Quad) on my Tikka T3 Hunter 7mm Rem Mag (I am not hunting, I use that rifle for long range), it is serving me very well. It is very clear glass, reticle is very clear and sharp. I spoke with a lot of people and everybody recommend me 10 or 12 power for 1000 yards. Probably I will end up buying 16X and will see if it will give me more on beyond 1000 yards. Unfortunately I didn't use Stealth on long range yet, planning to go 600 yards next weekend and it is still will be gong, no target. In our area 1000 yards range is very rare, only in private clubs. I am looking for access for one.

Basic Member
    I use the pro version. Found bc on 338 Hornady 285 ELD was off. Think there was one on 308 to but been awhile. Need to write this stuff down so I can send in the info.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Bhowell - what app is that, is it Android or Apple. Looks like a neat product.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBryars2 View Post
    Bhowell - what app is that, is it Android or Apple. Looks like a neat product.
    Ballistics AE for iPhone and iPad.

Basic Member
    Just measured LOP and it came up 13 and 5/8". There is no way to make it shorter. But XLR is offering shorter tube to compensate length of FU. In my case-I don't need it, I am right on the money with this LOP
    Here is pic how FU looks now. In my opinion it is much cleaner then with castle nut.
    [IMG][/IMG]