Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
This is my third aluminum stock but my first Savage stock. It gets easier with each one, especially if I can incorporate previous design ideas. I have a .308 Model 10 FCP-K that will be getting a similar upgrade as soon as I come up with a plan for dealing with the bottom bolt release.
Nice work !

Makes me wanna get a mill.... and a lathe.

I've converted bottom bolt release to top release on my brothers308 FCP-K.

I ordered a sear from brownells for like $6 (bolt release is together with the sear).

On rifles with the top bolt release there is a recess on the action for the bolt release lever and on the fcpk there is no such recess. So I bent the sear lever outwards until it broke and re-welded it on a very slight angle to clear the receiver. I then cut a recess in the stock for the bolt release lever.

As you can see in the pic, it's a fcp-k with a top bolt release and aics bottom metal. I don't remember what manufacturer's bottom metal he got but I remember they shipped the wrong one and I had to grind off some of the aluminum bedding and extend the front screw spacing because the bottom metal was for 4.2" hole spacing and the fcp-k has the 4.4" spacing.