Thread: Restocking my Model 12 FV

Basic Member

Restocking my Model 12 FV (with aluminum)

I normally build my own rifles but I broke tradition and bought an FV from Cabellas a several weeks ago. I was so impressed with it's accuracy that I tried to figure out what I could add to the platform. In all honesty the only things I could find wrong with it was the grip angle of the stock and the blind magazine was so hard to load that I'd resorted to loading one shot at a time into the chamber.

I looked around for another stock and bottom metal combination that I could set the action into but the cost of bottom metal with one mag was 2/3 the cost of the whole rifle after rebate. Add the cost of a wood stock and I could buy another rifle! So I just ordered a magazine and started whittling on some aluminum.

I'll add to the thread as I go along, hard to say when I'll be finished.

Last edited by holescreek; 08-06-2016 at 08:30 PM.

Basic Member
    i think that's awesome.

It looks like quality work. Thanks for sharing the project photos!

Basic Member
    Thanks fellows, it's going to be slow going now as I still need to figure out what the butt stock needs to look like. I got the trigger guard finished this morning, time to get busy with CAD. I was pretty stoked when it cycled a few rounds through the magazine, with a new mag design (new to me) I never know if I should have angled it or cut the channel straight.

Basic Member
    A little more done, need to start on the front end and have lots of hand work to go.

Basic Member
    How much for a chunk of aluminum that size?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    I buy large aluminum bars at the local scrap yard/recycling center for $1.25/lb. This chunk would've cost about $15.

Now that's DIY! Some skill and the right tools go a long way.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    This is my third aluminum stock but my first Savage stock. It gets easier with each one, especially if I can incorporate previous design ideas. I have a .308 Model 10 FCP-K that will be getting a similar upgrade as soon as I come up with a plan for dealing with the bottom bolt release.

Cool looking rig. You do some HD whittlin'.

Basic Member
    This is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. I wish I could do a stock like on the newer Anschutz rifles and make a savage prone rifle.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I go the hand work done over the weekend, glass beaded, taped off and Duracoated the aluminum parts. This morning I got the few steel components parkerized and assembled everything for a few pics.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anschutz View Post
    This is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. I wish I could do a stock like on the newer Anschutz rifles and make a savage prone rifle.
    Just take it one piece at a time. There is a lot of small parts but nothing you couldn't do.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
    Just take it one piece at a time. There is a lot of small parts but nothing you couldn't do.
    Finished that up nicely. I've never worked with a mil so it would definitely be a learning curve to get over.

Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
    This is my third aluminum stock but my first Savage stock. It gets easier with each one, especially if I can incorporate previous design ideas. I have a .308 Model 10 FCP-K that will be getting a similar upgrade as soon as I come up with a plan for dealing with the bottom bolt release.
    Nice work !

Makes me wanna get a mill.... and a lathe.

I've converted bottom bolt release to top release on my brothers308 FCP-K.

I ordered a sear from brownells for like $6 (bolt release is together with the sear).

On rifles with the top bolt release there is a recess on the action for the bolt release lever and on the fcpk there is no such recess. So I bent the sear lever outwards until it broke and re-welded it on a very slight angle to clear the receiver. I then cut a recess in the stock for the bolt release lever.

As you can see in the pic, it's a fcp-k with a top bolt release and aics bottom metal. I don't remember what manufacturer's bottom metal he got but I remember they shipped the wrong one and I had to grind off some of the aluminum bedding and extend the front screw spacing because the bottom metal was for 4.2" hole spacing and the fcp-k has the 4.4" spacing.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    Nice work !

Makes me wanna get a mill.... and a lathe.

I've converted bottom bolt release to top release on my brothers308 FCP-K.

I ordered a sear from brownells for like $6 (bolt release is together with the sear).

On rifles with the top bolt release there is a recess on the action for the bolt release lever and on the fcpk there is no such recess. So I bent the sear lever outwards until it broke and re-welded it on a very slight angle to clear the receiver. I then cut a recess in the stock for the bolt release lever.

As you can see in the pic, it's a fcp-k with a top bolt release and aics bottom metal. I don't remember what manufacturer's bottom metal he got but I remember they shipped the wrong one and I had to grind off some of the aluminum bedding and extend the front screw spacing because the bottom metal was for 4.2" hole spacing and the fcp-k has the 4.4" spacing.

That's a great idea! I've been trying to read up on what members have posted about the conversion but catching up on it all has been hit or miss so far. I appreciate the tip on Brownells, I'll give them a look to see if they still have parts. I was under the impression that there was yet another component that needed changing. Once I get into the project I'll put more time into figuring it out. I still need to decide which .308 mag to use and purchase one to compare size to my current drawing.

Brownells shows an 855-000-267MB Sear for a Model 110, 111, 112, 210 for $11.99 on back order. It's the only Savage sear they list on the site. Sound right?

Yes that's the sear... Tho I guess I was wrong on the pricing.

They'll have it back in stock soon, just keep checking.

Basic Member
    Shot it today with the new stock and ran a few groups through the On-Target program. Using the new chassis my best 5 shot 100 yard group with PPU was .721" and the SMK group measured .423". My buddy shot the rifle for the first time ever got a .598" group with PPU.

He went straight to Cabellas from the range and bought one for himself. I may need more aluminum!

Holescreek, I sent you a pm. Also, what were the dimensions of the aluminum block you started with?

Those would be good results even if you weren't shooting Prvi Partizan! I've never found a gun that liked it more than 1.5" 5-shot groups. Was it the 168gr match?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    Those would be good results even if you weren't shooting Prvi Partizan! I've never found a gun that liked it more than 1.5" 5-shot groups. Was it the 168gr match?
    69 gr BTHP PPU bullets

Estes640
    Holescreek, I sent you a pm. Also, what were the dimensions of the aluminum block you started with?
    The block I cut to start with was 14" long, 3.5" high and 1.875 thick. The stock finished dimensions are 13.93" x 3.427" x1.725" You can take an inch or two off the length if you do something different with the butt. I'm thinking about making a folding butt stock for the next one just to change it up some. I no longer let any blueprints out to anyone after catching a guy trying to make money by selling of one of my tool designs online. The savage stock is the easiest to make of the ones I've tried. It's a straight .6765" radius down the length of the top. It's .8" from the back of the recoil lug to the centerline of the front screw, and 4.4" between the front and rear screws.

The receiver channel is easily made with a 1" ball endmill making multiple passes.

Basic Member
    That diagram could be pretty confusing,.....Then I realized the X should be Y, and the Y should be Z, figuring a tool zero from the center of the ball cutter.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Yeah, like I said: cave man like, not fit for distribution.