I just bought a new Savage 10 FCP yesterday in .223 (side bolt release, bottom mag release). I have not fired this gun--only took off stock, thoroughly cleaned it of packing grease, and put stock back on. When I load a full mag (4 rounds), the first round always has a failure to feed no matter how fast or slow I close the bolt. It's like the back of the cartridge pops up too fast and out of the chamber. The bolt hits the cartridge below the neck and dents the brass badly. Mag is seated perfectly. This is factory Remington 55gr MC ammo.

The next three cartridges load perfectly fine. If I start with three rounds, they all load perfectly fine. It's like the mag spring is too tight under full spring tension and/or, the mag lips fail to hold the cartridge long enough and with full tension cause the back of the cartridge to pop out.

I'm tempted to buy another mag to see if that's the issue (which are there any good aftermarket mag brands) to see if that's the problem. Or should I bend the mag lips in or try to adjust the mag spring??

Any advice?

Thanks