Quote Originally Posted by pisgah View Post
What "everybody knows" and "everybody says" is often not based on any facts whatsoever, in the shooting world or anywhere else.
Exactly. That's why I linked the very comprehensive test by Lucky Gunner. They shot THOUSANDS of brass and THOUSANDS of steel and quantified the results with actual documented data. Pisgah, you should read the article, it's pretty eye opening (and not one sided, they also discuss the merits of steel case, just as any good ammo supplier should). Cupro Nickel jackets are long gone, most steel cased ammo is bimetallic a far different animal than the 1920's cupronickel. The bimetal bullets are lead core with a steel jacket with a thin layer of copper. I suspect plinking with Silver Bear at some tin cans would be fine, and I really doubt pressure is of any concern to any of the previous commenters. I believe the actual documented facts show that a steel jacketed bullet wears barrels/throats faster than a copper jacketed/gilding bullet. In my truck gun that sports more rust than I care to admit, yes, in my bull barreled target gun...? H*ll no!