Thread: New rifle, bolt came disassembled

New rifle, bolt came disassembled

New guy checking in, and looking for advice. Just received a Savage Long Range Hunter that was ordered from an online distributor. Opening up the box, the first thing I notice is the rear baffle assembly laying in the box, separated from the bolt. Is this common?
    Thanks,
    Rick

Basic Member
    Welcome. I've heard of it before. Shouldn't be a problem. Nothing is broken. Unscrew the large screw in the back of the bolt, remove the bolt handle and replace the baffle. Make sure the ramps align when you do.

No, I wonder what happened, normally the bolt handle needs removed to remove baffle. If baffle can be put on bolt, without removing bolt handle, baffle is defective. Might want to strip bolt & see if the parts are all there.

Yes, the bolt handle will have to be removed to install the baffle. Just finding it odd that it would leave the factory that way.

Basic Member
    Right. It doesn't make sense, but they do sometimes. Go figure. :)

The baffle can be installed without removing the BAS. It can go on at the turned down portion, then slid backward past the cocking pin, lastly rotated into the correct position.

I would imagine that this was how it came off to begin with.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Geargrinder, I looked at it 'till my eyes crossed for an explanation as to why it was laying in the box apart from the handle. Your explanation sounds plausible. I did remove the bolt handle to fix this. Good to know I didn't have to...if it happens again, now I know.

Basic Member
    LOL I know I've had them fall off before when the bolt was out of the action, but I don't remember putting it back on without removing the handle. I've been messing around with one for most of the past hour and for the life of me, I can't put it back on without removing the handle. It seems like it should be possible, especially because I took it off without removing te bolt handle.

Honestly, I don't know what bothers me most; the fact that I can't put it back on or the fact I have been trying for so long. It's 10:00 on a Saturday night, for crying out loud! Where did my life go? When did it become so lame?!

Basic Member
    And, the secret is.....turn the baffle 1/2 turn and slide forward...it will fall right off.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    And, the secret is.....turn the baffle 1/2 turn and slide forward...it will fall right off.
    Right. But why can't I put it back on the same way? Is the detent ball too stiff? Is it alright to force it?

Time for a BFH!!!!!
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Or a PBR!
    or six.......
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

If you do get it back on, see if it is really sloppy, if it is I would call savage and get a new one. I had one like that and cocking was alittle noisey so I bought one for cheap at brownells and put it on and now it cocks much quieter. I tossed the old one.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!