Thread: 93r17GV....accuracy, grapes went sour UPDATE:

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy 93r17GV....accuracy, grapes went sour UPDATE:

Got the rifle back from savage. They said they "checked it over", "checked headspace", "mounted their service scope,and shot 1/2" groups with it."
    So,,I mounted & bore sighted my scope, shot a couple rounds at 50yds to get close to zero, and moved to the 100yd target. Shoots exactly like it did before I sent it in . They said they used 20gr cci gamepoints, so I bought 350 rds of that while waiting on the rifle to get back, which took a while because ups "thought the gate was locked" and didn't deliver, so I had to wait over the weekend until after 7 p.m. before it was delivered
    The game points shoot just like the other 6 or 7 brands/types. So, I replced the scope (this is the third scope, 1 new leupold, 2 others off functioning sub moa rifles), and it shoots the same. So, I got out my old "lead sled", and anchored the gun down on it and,,,, it shot the same
    So, I cleaned the bore, and gave it a "JB shine job". Shoots the same. So, I relieved an area around the tang and safety that looked like it was touching the receiver, shoots the same. Rechecked screw torque. Loosened action screws and re-torqued to 35" lbs. The screws stop turning at 30-32" lbs, solid make-up.(It has pillars, otherwise 30"lbs would crush the soft thin wood)
    Now, I don't claim to be an expert marksman, but I have more than a dozen centerfires that shoot sub moa. I have a CZ 452 trainer in 22LR that shoots better 100yd groups than this savage. I guess I'll give up on it. I have about 5 or 6 hundred rounds of various types/brands of ammo that I'm not going to waste on this gun. So now what,,,RAR or CZ varmint ???
    Last edited by gwtx; 12-08-2014 at 09:00 PM.