Thread: 93r17GV....accuracy, grapes went sour

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wind just won't quit, but i put up a flag and shot some during the very slight lulls. I'm satisfied the rifle will shoot, if there is very little wind. Don't know if the pic is gonna show, if not, I'll try again. Been a while since I tried to post a pic, always have problems with it. Ahh, the golden years!
    Pic made it up, forgot to mention, the group was shot at 100yds. I guess if you shoot enough, 3 of em are bound to land close together sooner or later :)

Last edited by gwtx; 11-05-2014 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Forgot

Quote Originally Posted by gwtx View Post
    Wind just won't quit, but i put up a flag and shot some during the very slight lulls. I'm satisfied the rifle will shoot, if there is very little wind. Don't know if the pic is gonna show, if not, I'll try again. Been a while since I tried to post a pic, always have problems with it. Ahh, the golden years!
    Pic made it up, forgot to mention, the group was shot at 100yds. I guess if you shoot enough, 3 of em are bound to land close together sooner or later :)

Well, I guess it was a fluke, I haven't shot a group since that one shot didn't fly off 1 1/2" or so. I removed scope, checked tightness on screws, re'torqued, tried different (proven) scope, and about out of ideas. Thought maybe after shooting 300+ rounds, the barrel should be "settled in" if it's ever gonna be. I have been able to fix all of the little glitches it came with(except misfires on winchester ammo), and I really like the rifle, but I can't use it for what I bought it for if it won't shoot consistent. I haven't talked to savage c.s. yet, but I doubt that they will do anything due to the mods: pillars, and modded trigger. May give'em a call to see what they say.
    ANY IDEAS greatly appreciated. Gary

I gave up and called Savage. The rep was very understanding. They sent me a ups return label, and I shipped it off this morning. I was pleasantly surprised as I told him all the things I had done to the rifle including the pillar installation. Couldn't ask for a better experience, just hope they can do something with it. Will post when I have results.

Quote Originally Posted by gwtx View Post
    I gave up and called Savage. The rep was very understanding. They sent me a ups return label, and I shipped it off this morning. I was pleasantly surprised as I told him all the things I had done to the rifle including the pillar installation. Couldn't ask for a better experience, just hope they can do something with it. Will post when I have results.
    They couldn't find anything wrong with the rifle. They said they shot a sub moa group. After I got it back and re-mounted the scope, it shot just like it did before. Must be me, but I put my Stevens 200 22-250 on the rest and shoot a 1/2" group. Go figure. I'll work with it later, but for now I found a beautiful 'RemLin' XT-17 VSL that I couldn't resist,,,,,it shoots 1/2" groups. I still think there is a problem with the stock/receiver connection. May try a Boyds stock later. Funds are running low.
    Merry Christmas to all. Good shootin to ya. Gary