Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The .338 Edge is up and running

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I will be in the shop today and will forward the notes.

If Scope-eye is around, he will also give us some information. He is the one who turned me on to this load and I love it.

Dennis

I haven't tried anything but the Barnes as I don't see anything else staying together. The Barnes XXX Shock have never failed.

Drybean has a used one for sale for short money.

Dean

My ears just perked up just like my border collie,LOL when I told Dennis about this load and he agreed to try it, and did and said it was all I said it was I could not believe it, most shooter are to reluctant to try my lets just say unconventional loads, OK here we go 338 edge and TTSXs 160gr and 185gr bullets.

338 EDGE 32' barrel
    Starting load 95gr of RL17, 3800 + FPS depending on set up
    Happy load 100gr of RL17, 4000 + FPS """"""""""""""""""""
    And Take No Prisoner Load 105gr of RL 17 4200 + FPS not a typo

The same load for the 185gr TTSXs, only use RL19 I have still hit 4000FPS with this load,

These loads also work great in a 338 Lapua, although they do not have as much case capacity.

Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 10-17-2014 at 08:04 AM.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

After i ran the numbers on this yesterday i was done for. I ordered two boxes of 160s last night.
    I should have those next week and will give the ole Magnetospeed a workout.

Gentlemen I really appreciate the info, it will not be wasted. I will be sure and post feedback once I get these run tested. This is gonna be a long weeks wait!
    Thanks again, Glenn

Hey Scope Eye and Dennis, thank you again for the load info.

I got to run a few of the 160 ttsx's thru the edge finally. I just loaded up 6 progressive loads topping out at 100grs of RL17 and clocked em on the Magneto Speed while watching for pressure signs. No notable pressure signs on primer so loaded up another batch progressing to 103.5grs so we will see how that pans out.

The 100gr load was clocked at 3972fps (30" barrel) so you guys are about spot on for the numbers. Accuracy was a hard call with the chrono strapped on the end of the barrel I wasn't putting a lot of effort into grouping, but it still put four shots into about a 1-1/8 inch group at 100yds. So it is looking promising in the accuracy dept too.

I can't wait to run a meat test with these loads.

Haha, that's awesome. I can't wait to get mine together and try some of those out, just for the heck of it. What brass are you using, BarrelBurner? I can't find brass ANYWHERE.

Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Haha, that's awesome. I can't wait to get mine together and try some of those out, just for the heck of it. What brass are you using, BarrelBurner? I can't find brass ANYWHERE.
    Its gonna be fun for you thats for sure!
    I am just running Remington brass so far, it seems to do okay with it but it looks like am going to get maybe 4 or 5 loadings out of them and that's about it. I've been using the same batch and a few are getting a bit loose in the primer pocket already.

Loaded 300 RUM was $48 a box, not cheap but maybe a starter for you.

Scope Eye, how many loadings are you getting on the 105gr loads before the brass is toast?
    I meant to ask before and keep forgetting but what did you end up with on length on a loaded round with these 160's?
    I have them at 3.820"

Thanks for the kind words Dennis, now that the secret is out on those 160s, just a heads up the 185s work just as well with only 200 FPS less, and with 95gr of RL17 or 100gr of RL19, as far as the longevity of the punch, as rare as 300RUM brass is right now, if you extend the life of 50 cases it has paid for itself.

Dean

PS: Dennis I rag on you about that 55X Nightforce only because I am jealous.LOL
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Whoa. First time I've heard of something like that... Must do research. Lol

Looks like it was sold on 9/24 accord to the edit notes on the first post.

I was told Retumbo would be my best friend with Berger 300's.

Below shots, right bottom, 300 yards. The 160's will shot about the same.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I was told Retumbo would be my best friend with Berger 300's.

Below shots, right bottom, 300 yards. The 160's will shot about the same.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Dang. Maybe I shoulda bought an 8lb jug of Retumbo and not H1000

D.ID
    I tested mine out again this weekend.....friday evening: 5x5 whitetail at 804 yards, 20 degree downward angle, sunday morning:6x7 bull elk at 913 yards 10 degree uphill angle. Both Beautiful animals. Both clean kills. Neither made it 10' from point of impact. There just aint nothin like smacking stuff with the 300 grainers..............Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    I tested mine out again this weekend.....friday evening: 5x5 whitetail at 804 yards, 20 degree downward angle, sunday morning:6x7 bull elk at 913 yards 10 degree uphill angle. Both Beautiful animals. Both clean kills. Neither made it 10' from point of impact. There just aint nothin like smacking stuff with the 300 grainers..............Good luck.
    I still can't imagine anything being hit with a 300 grain bullet out of the 338 Edge, maybe this season for me. The 160's @ over 4,200fps will also do the job right.

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I still can't imagine anything being hit with a 300 grain bullet out of the 338 Edge, maybe this season for me. The 160's @ over 4,200fps will also do the job right.
    No doubt.
    On a side note:
    I could not help but noticed running the numbers threw JBM that the 160@4200 vs 300smk@2780 (my mildest load) show at 900 yards you would have almost twice as much wind deflection, half as much energy at impact and about 30 fps slower with the 160s.

Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    No doubt.
    On a side note:
    I could not help but noticed running the numbers threw JBM that the 160@4200 vs 300smk@2780 (my mildest load) show at 900 yards you would have almost twice as much wind deflection, half as much energy at impact and about 30 fps slower with the 160s.
    That load was never intended for 1000 yards, I developed it for half that length, and so you would not have to even think about elevation @ 500 it is some thing like 4 min, that and also to allow you to get more trigger time without throwing out your shoulder, and lets not forget about the vapor trail there is no price for that spectacle.

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    That load was never intended for 1000 yards, I developed it for half that length, and so you would not have to even think about elevation @ 500 it is some thing like 4 min, that and also to allow you to get more trigger time without throwing out your shoulder, and lets not forget about the vapor trail there is no price for that spectacle.

Dean
    Thats what sold me on this load. I ran the trajectory with a 375 yd zero the point blank range is pretty impressive.

D.ID
    Got ya, that makes sense. I don't do anything at point blank so I forget that most people do.

By not using mag primers, and burning the powder slower, you can use more powder or a faster powder, without causing a "spike" in pressure.

Dean

I have yet to see or hear of a rig that does not do well with this load, be 338 Lapua, 338 RUM, or 338 EDGE.

Dean

Yeah, I'm already on that. Found someone here actually that's going to swap me.

I have found more consistency with non mag primers, as far as shooting a mile, I am not going to pretend I know anything, I have no clue what it takes to accomplish this, I am going to to stick to what I know, which is 5 MOA bullet drop after that I have no interest, so basically 600 yards which is 1/3 of what you want to accomplish, I would not be surprised if the same approach applied but I cannot confirm that.

Dean

I noticed in Shawn Carlock's comments and documentation of load development for the .338 Edge noted a greater ES with the non-mag primer. Looks like his go to primer in their pet Edge load is the CCI 250.

Got to try this thing out on an Aoudad Sheep this past weekend. Terminal ballistics were impressive especially with a very conservative load.
    Looks like two shots but was only one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast