Quote Originally Posted by ClayC View Post
Honestly, consistent neck tension more then anything. Its pretty much that simple. I know there are a lot of opinions out there. For myself, I use Lapua brass and every lot I have ever trimmed had inconsistent neck thickness. From there its just my education. I was taught by the guys that I shoot with that you just neck resize. Seat your bullet, measure the neck and use a bushing a bit smaller.
So basically I learned that's what to do, Midway and everyone else sells the items needed to do it and the top shooters I personally know told me to do it so it was just what I did. Pretty simple.
Okay, now. THAT makes sense to me. Honestly, so far I have not seen a need to turn the necks. I trust it can be necessary, though. When I do, it will be as you stated here. What didn't quite make sense to me was getting as "little neck tension as possible." That sounded a bit arbitrary to me. Again, please, try different depth and different tensions (if necessary to allow for seating into lands) and report. I would be interested in your results. :)