Thread: Primer pocket cleaning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clovishound View Post
    I usually clean primer pockets, but I quit cleaning cases a while back. Haven't noticed anything other than my cases don't look as nice. I might start following suit with the primer pockets. I have found that a quick couple stabs with a toothbrush works almost as well as the primer pocket cleaner.
    Your dies will not be your friend if you don't clean that brass.

Now, for the OP: If you tumble in stainless media your pockets will be cleaned in the tumbling process. If you use regular media tumbling, I don't see why you would not take the 2 seconds per round that it takes to clean the primer pocket with a cleaning tool. The idea of creating accurate ammunition involves consistency and repeatability. If you never clean your primer pockets, doesn't it stand to change the primer pocket after every round in terms of seating depth for the primer? May be nothing at all, but I like to start my loads with a clean, happy piece of brass.

clovishound
    Quote Originally Posted by nso123 View Post
    Your dies will not be your friend if you don't clean that brass.
    Well, I lube my rifle cases, and my handgun dies are carbide, so I'm not too worried. I like nice clean shiny cases, but not enough to spend the time and hassle on getting them that way. I've always cleaned my primer pockets, just to make sure I get properly seated primers. I may rethink that after seeing how many reloaders don't. I probably will still do it on my rifle calibers. I tend to be a lot pickier about the process with rifle cartridges. For example, I weigh every rifle charge. With the handguns I just weigh every 5th or 10th charge, depending on how consistent everything is looking. Most of this is driven by the volume I am loading between rifle and handgun.