Thread: Savage Axis Tactical Bolt Handle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by the Ranger View Post
    look at a picture of said Mauser and you will see that at the top rear of the receiver is a ramp machined in, (the back of the receiver is not flat, it has an angel on it) as you lift the bolt handle the root of the bolt contacts that ramp and causes said "primary extraction".
    I'm sorry Ranger,That was my bad for submitting the bolt action M16 Mauser rifle into the equation. Paul and Wilhelm Mauser knew that the bolt action rifle needed an primary extractor to work properly when they began building rifles way back in 1891 but Forever draggin is not comparing bolt action rifles to bolt action rifles. He is trying to compare a gas operated semi auto for the solution as to why his Savage Axis does not need a primary extractor that it was originally designed with. I'm sure there are people already altering the original Axis bolt handle by cutting, drilling, tapping and turning a longer handle on a lathe to install on the original Axis bolt handle frame as a solution for a properly working Axis bolt primary extraction system. I know this because I found it on the internet while searching last night and eventually I will send my bolt handle in to have it done.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cranebird View Post
    …… I'm sure there are people already altering the original Axis bolt handle by cutting, drilling, tapping and turning a longer handle on a lathe to install on the original Axis bolt handle frame as a solution for a properly working Axis bolt primary extraction system. I know this because I found it on the internet while searching last night and eventually I will send my bolt handle in to have it done.
    Yep, it's actually fairly easy. I used a Dremel and file to cut and shape, and then a die to thread it. Others have used a grinder. There are also smiths that will do it.

Check it out: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...quot-bolt-knob

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgin View Post
    Yep, it's actually fairly easy. I used a Dremel and file to cut and shape, and then a die to thread it. Others have used a grinder. There are also smiths that will do it.

Check it out: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...quot-bolt-knob
    I just ordered a extra Axis bolt handle so I'll be messing this one up or maybe it will come out alright.I wish I had the part number for the stainless handle but couldn't find it. It was $11 for the matte black axis handle, part #107922. I am fortunate to have the equipment available at work to mess around with it. I haven't messed with knurling stuff on the lathe which is what I'm wanting for the new handle conversion.