Thread: "Tactical" bolt knob

chunk

"Tactical" bolt knob

Does anyone know if anyone makes a new bolt handle for an axis. I was told the ones for the model 10/110 will bolt on but will not work. I just need a larger knob.

Basic Member
    I have yet to find anyone that sells a replacement handle. There were some on ebay, but they were actually 10/110 handles. While they fit, you lose primary extraction, so they're a no go.

I had one of mine threaded and a new knob installed. Any smith that can do a 700 knob should be able to do an Axis (doesn't mean they will though).

I'm going to try doing my next one on my own (fingers crossed).

Basic Member
    It's real easy with a bench grinder and tap & die set. Ground the 4 sides and top of the ball flat round it off slightly larger than the cutting die and thread it. Make sure you get a quality tap and die set. I used a $15 china made one and the threading isn't pretty, but I did get it to work. only took me a few hours. Keep a bowl of water next to the grinder to cool it off every now and then. Also remember you could always revert to epoxy if the threading isn't perfect!

Side note if you really mess it up a new bolt handle from Savage is only $11 last time I priced it with their partfinder.

Basic Member
    Just ordered a couple extras today. Figured better be prepared just in case.

The matte handles are $11, and the Stainless are $14.

Thanks for the water tip, I completely forgot about that.

Basic Member
    Don't forget some kind of thread lube as well. I actually just used some hoppe's #9 because it was close by.

chunk
    Alright if y'all are gonna do it I guess I will too. I went to the savage website and entered my serial number and it could not find it so I guess I will try later.

Basic Member
    You can see mine here. Its a D.D. Ross knob.

chunk
    That is a good looking axis. What kind of stock have you got there? I did not know you could customize an axis that much.

Basic Member
    SSS Axis ProTac. They haven't fully released it yet, but a they may have some ready to cut if you send them an inquiry you can find out more about it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chunk View Post
    I did not know you could customize an axis that much.
    Yeah, they're great to tinker with, especially with replacement stocks now available from SSS and Boyds.

I went with a Boyds for my first one. The knob I used is a standard large knob similar to a Badger knob.

chunk
    Another nice one. Where are y'all getting the mags

Basic Member
    Thanks! Every time I see Lonewolf's it just make me want the SSs ProTac for my next build. I wish Boyds would do the Tacticool for the Axis, I'd definitely get one of those.

I got my mags from a forum member on Sniper's Hide. There were a couple of guys that were making them, but neither are right now. I know there's a few guys here that have made them too. Mine were made using an HK G3 mag, cutting it, welding it to the savage mag, and modifying the follower.
    Last edited by Elgin; 01-09-2014 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Completed thought.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chunk View Post
    Another nice one. Where are y'all getting the mags
    PM me on that topic if you're seriously interested.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgin View Post
    Thanks! Every time I see Lonewolf's it just make me want the SSs ProTac for my next build.
    Every time I look at mine it makes me want to build another! I got the ProHunter stock I modified waiting to be filled though. I'm thinking a nice 223 build for something cheaper to shoot will be good for it.

Basic Member
    So, I finally gave the threading a go. I ended up using a cutting wheel on my Dremel, and then grinding to shape it. Not the prettiest, but they turned out pretty good. I have a couple more I'm going to do for practice and any future builds. Took me about 4 hours total for both.

Chunk - Did you ever give it a shot? If so, how'd it go?

Here they are. Still have to work on polishing the stainless one some more.

Basic Member
    Elgin-Those don't look bad. I ordered a new bolt handle also, just need to take the time to get it done.

Basic Member
    Thanks Swissfan!

chunk
    I haven't tried it yet but I did order one extra bolt handle from Numrich. I will give a go in the next week or so.