Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "The Farther One Travels, The Less One Knows" Barrell / Reloading Questions

I got lucky when I built my son's heavy barrel 223 using a factory stainless fluted barrel. I's a 1 in 9 twist and loves the 75 gr A-Max bullets. He shot at 400 yards for the first time Sunday and managed a 3.69" group at that range after getting his elevation right. He fired 6 more shots and all those averaged 4.59" with five going into 2.73".

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    I got lucky when I built my son's heavy barrel 223 using a factory stainless fluted barrel. I's a 1 in 9 twist and loves the 75 gr A-Max bullets. He shot at 400 yards for the first time Sunday and managed a 3.69" group at that range after getting his elevation right. He fired 6 more shots and all those averaged 4.59" with five going into 2.73".
    SWEET! You can be very proud of him! Hoping I do that well when I start "getting out there"! Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrow1 View Post
    I read somewhere that there is a company that will sell you small amounts of "sample" bullets to try in your gun, for a reasonable cost. I FORGET where I saw this info- any one know? Appreciate any leads- I'd love to experiment.

Brian
    Sinclair (part of Brownells), carries small batches of bullets (25-30) so you don't have to buy by the hundreds. Not the cheapest way to reload, but not dropping a ton of cash on the unknown.

dcloco
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Bullet WEIGHT means very slightly more than NOTHING when it comes to stability and twist rates, so get that out of your head. People who talk weight: 1) don't know chit. 2) are making a very generalized comment.
    RPM is what stabilizes, and the LENGTH is what needs stabilizing, not the weight.
    RPM is a function of both twist and velocity. No two barrels are created equal, but here is a calculator to get you started:
    http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi
    Look up your specific bullet from the tab on the left, then come back and fill in for your specifics.

DITTO what darkker said. Amount of bullet jacket in contact with the rifling...hence...length of bullet.

thomae
    Please be careful.
    It is ok to disagree with each other, but we are all friends here and we are all trying to help each other out.
    Personal insults or attacks are not appropriate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12