Thread: Flat back 110 "short action" stagger feed questions

Basic Member

Flat back 110 "short action" stagger feed questions

I've got a line on an older 110 short action in 300 wsm. Obviously it's a stagger feed blind mag and the barrel supposedly free floated. Barrel is standard magnum contour so not a varmint model.

My questions are did Savage do pillar bedding for most synthetic stocks back in the early 2000's and how easy is it to tune/swap the trigger (I'm assuming it's a three screw)?

Any info is most appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your model probably has the wire spring trigger. I have no problem with them as a hunting trigger. Some .040 wire bent as a replacement spring and keep enough preload to ensure the trigger pushes against the sear so it does not bump-fire. always use the safety when carrying loaded.

That model came from the factory with a standing ejector and was considered a control round feed. The bolt head was open on the bottom and had a slot for the ejector. The ejector dragging on the bottom of the bolt made it a little rough on cycling but not too bad.

It is a large shank(1.125, at least in pitch diameter) thread. Meaning if you change barrels you will need to go big. Bolthead swaps are easy.

Basic Member
    It may not be a large shank with the flat back. The large shank WSM's started showing up when the round back came out, in 2003.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Not arguing but I just walked away from looking at a Flat back wsm and it is 1.125
    G108xxx

Basic Member
    That doesn't surprise me.....any combination is possible right around a transition period. That's the same time the accutrigger and the round tops came out. I've seen flat tops with accutriggers, and roundtops with the old triggers that had consecutive serial #s. I've seen stagger feed actions with a 4.4" screw spacing, and center feed with 4.275"....it was a matter of using up surplus parts.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Yep, It's not like it was a rare thing to do.