So for the past few months I've been scouring the websites of various optics manufacturers trying to find just the right scope for my AR. I had already decided to get the Aimpoint PRO for my M&P15-22 and it could serve dual-duty on my AR if I ever felt the need for a CBQ option. However, what I really wanted was a scope that would effectively fill both roles of a CQB and a suitable medium-long range optic. I started by looking at the various 1.5-6x options that are available, but I really want a little more magnification on the high end, and ideally would like a true 1x on the bottom end of the scale for zero magnification. I also want a 30mm main tube, a ballistic reticle, and an objective bell no larger than 36mm (20-25mm preferred to keep it small and compact).

Unfortunately for me there are VERY few options out there that meet these specifications.

IOR has a couple options - the 1.5-8x26mm Trident Tactical at $1,700, and the 1-10x26mm Eliminator LTS at just under $2,400.
NightForce has the 2.5-10x32mm NXS Compact that starts around $1,400 but it doesn't offer the low-end I want.
Nikon has the M-223 2-8x32mm with BDC reticle for $380 which is well within my budget, but it has a 1" tube and doesn't offer the low-end I want.
Sightron has a new SIII 1-7x24mm for around $800, but availability is a bit sketchy and it isn't offered with a ballistic reticle.

And then I stumbled across the perfect scope that met all my criteria - the Leupold Mark 8 1.1-8x26mm CQB SS with TMR reticle. Unfortunately it runs about $5,000 which is ludicrous in my book, and even if I could afford it there's no way I could ever justify spending four times what the rifle cost for a scope. Noooo waaaay!!

Then again....I wonder how many pints of blood I'd have to sell to....