Thread: 5.56 / .223 brass difference?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M.O.A. View Post
    cant we all just get along here ;-}
    The author Louis L'Amour who wrote "How The West Was Won", "Hondo" and the "Sackett" series once said that the old West was a very polite place. And if you insulted someone, hands were slapping leather.

The biggest problem most forums have are midgets setting at their computers pretending to be giants. When you quote printed material and are told that you are wrong by these midgets, then hands start slapping the keyboard.

The winner is the one with the best factual printed material.

"All the information in the world is printed in books and all you have to do is read".
    Attila the Hun

Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    The author Louis L'Amour who wrote "How The West Was Won", "Hondo" and the "Sackett" series once said that the old West was a very polite place. And if you insulted someone, hands were slapping leather.

The biggest problem most forums have are midgets setting at their computers pretending to be giants. When you quote printed material and are told that you are wrong by these midgets, then hands start slapping the keyboard.

"All the information in the world is printed in books and all you have to do is read".
    Attila the Hun
    Problem is, none of this has anything to do with the what the OP asked. All he wanted to know was if he could use it. Yes, he can, plain and simple.

This is not directed solely at you, it is for all involved in creating this mess.

Problem is, none of this has anything to do with the what the OP asked. All he wanted to know was if he could use it. Yes, he can, plain and simple.
    +1

Saw another chart similar to the one posted on page one where lots of 223 brass were weighed and compared. Interestingly enough the brass with the smallest SD was the Winchester. Not to suggest that it is better than the Lapua but interesting nevertheless.

Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post

Attila the Hun
    Last I checked the library was also full of books filled with bad or incomplete information yet are being portrayed as "the truth" and "complete history". Some of them are even books pertaining to science and history. *gasp* I also know for a fact that most self-proclaimed 'forum giants' are also self-proclaimed know-it-alls who generally have zero first-hand experience or knowledge on the subject, but they feel they're experts on the subject because they read it in a book once and in a few different forum threads.

Now I suggest you all start playing a little nicer with one another, cuz if you don't I can promise that you won't like my solution to the problem.
    Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Solo View Post
    I have 1000 rounds of once fired Winchester 5.56 brass. I know the difference between 5.56 and .223 loaded ammo, but I'm unaware of any difference in the raw brass. I do know that military (LC) brass is thicker and can increase pressure, but I'm talking about Winchester brass.

Is there any reason why I can't load the 5.56 brass to .223 specs and use it in my #10PH with it's .223 chamber??

I plan on using SB (small base) die for the first loading, then fire form and neck size after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    There is no difference in brass
    And sometimes books and documentation are all you need to prove a point, military 5.56 brass is made from a higher quality brass. The cases can't be made thicker because it would cause a internal capacity problem therefore it is made with a better grade brass. The military also loads to a higher pressure than commercial .223 and the base harness and design is important at higher pressures, and the last thing you need is a primer popping out of an AR15 in a match and jamming the trigger group.

Army Research Laboratory
    Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21005-5069

Vickers Hardness Measurements of the M855
    Cartridge Case Base

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA497469
    Last edited by bigedp51; 09-12-2012 at 02:12 PM.