Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What cheap savage rifle should I buy?

average_shot

What cheap savage rifle should I buy?

I want to buy a cheap savage centerfire rifle and I dont want it to be very expensive because it will be my first centerfire rifle (I'm thinking of an axis at the moment). Also what caliber should it be I have shot a .308 before and it didn't seem like it had much recoil but I don't know what would be a good hunting (deer)/long range target caliber. Can you please help me?

Re: What cheap savage rifle should I buy?

If you are looking at doing things on the cheap, go to your local pawn/gun and pick up a used 110 (or 10) series rifle. I would stick to these actions as the aftermarket is build around them. Do some reading here to help identify what you are looking at. .308 is one of the most prolific rounds in the US, so finding one shouldn't be much of an issue. You can then start to build it up as you see fit, or when the addiction really takes hold. The .308 is just fine for deer hunting, and so are any of its daughter calibers (.243win, .260rem, 7mm-08, .338fed, .358win) but the lighter rounds (>7mm) are much more accurate at long ranges due to increased BC of the round.

You seem to not know exactly what you are looking for, so please give some more details on what and how far you will be shooting this rifle. Most importantly, what is your budget and how much of a tinkerer are you?

average_shot

I will most likely be shooting moose or elk and will be shooting from around 500-600 in target as well my budget is up to $600-700 and thanks for the help

average_shot

Also what are your thoughts on the axis?

I like to tinker, and as the Axis/Edge have limited/no aftermarket support, I have avoided them.... well and the fact that the 10/110 series is a more than capable platform. I see the Axis/Edge as more of the introductory rifle for the guy who wants to shoot a deer, once a year, <100yrds. Because I modify, change barrels, fiddle with triggers, and want the ability to change things I stick in the 10/110 land. (admittedly I don't know enough to degrade or disapprove of the Axis/Edge rifles, so take this for what it is)

I am sure many will agree, the .308 is a bit light for moose and elk, especially at the ranges you are talking about shooting. 500-600yrds on such a large animal, you should be looking at the magnums to make an ethical kill. This puts you into a long action, which can be converted to shoot short action rounds as well. If you are punching paper at 500-600yrd, then you can go with a lighter round, I prefer something in the 6.5mm family. IF I were to be shooting Elk at that kind of range I wouldn't be shooting anything less than a 6.5-06 or .280 at <400, and anything longer I would step to the .300wm or .338wm.... if not something in the RUM family.

go get your self a new stevens 200. they are the way to go

Something else to consider for elk and moose loads.

You will find 300WM in almost every sporting goods store in the US. I also shoot 338 WM (my preference on the big boys) but it is not on the shelf everywhere. That makes finding your optimum load in 338 a little harder unless you reload. Once you do find it, keep a decent stock of ammo around and it won't be much of an issue.

If ur not too big on recoil, consider the 260. Good selection of bullets for hunting and long range. I just got a model 11 hunter xp on gunbroker for $429 shipped. The trophy hunter xp model has better glass and the bottom bolt release which I don't like. But if u don't care they run right around $500-550 and seem to be an excellent value considering they are ready to zero and start rockin and rollin.

A 270 isn't too bad on recoil and is pretty good at long range work.

Brian

Paid Member

I'm gonna suggest the old standby, the 30-06. It will do everything you have outlined, and more, and ammo is everywhere, cheaper than most anything else mentioned, except for maybe the 308, and will not have much more recoil than the 308.

Bullet selection is HUGE, and so is ammo availability.

One thing, the 30-06 and maybe the 300wm for that matter, are probably not going to do the job on elk or moose at 600yds, maybe. They will kill them but I imagine those regularly going after animals that large will either get a bigger cartridge, or get closer. Deer are not a problem,with proper bullets.

There was 3 nice actions for sale here for $250. and less each, yesterday. A good barrel for $50. and the stock of your choice here as well and you are set quite nicely.

I would go with the 06 as well.

Neal
    If we stand by and say nothing, someone will take it away from us and we have no one to blame but ourselves!

Super Moderator

average;

Are you wanting a mid to long range target rifle or a hunting rifle? You can make target rifle do double duty as a hunting rifle but it will be heavy and bulky.

Are you wanting to shoot game at 500y or just targets?

Professionals built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.
    Pascagoula Shooting Club www.pascagouladcm.com

Quote Originally Posted by 358Hammer
    There was 3 nice actions for sale here for $250. and less each, yesterday. A good barrel for $50. and the stock of your choice here as well and you are set quite nicely.

I would go with the 06 as well.

Neal
    He can't see the for-sale forums yet, so he doesn't know how cheap a rifle can be built or bought for on this site

Paid Member

For Moose and Elk get a 30-06 new Stevens or used Savage and change the barrel later to 338-06 or 35 Whelen.

You could also find a used Savage .300 Win. Mag. and not need to change calibers for elk or moose.
    Spend the other half of your budget on the scope.
    &quot;Every good and wise man should be wary lest he be deceived by sham internet quotes. &quot; Thomas Jefferson

average_shot

I was just planning on shooting targets at those ranges not animals and i was looking at a model 14/114 because they seem pretty good for what I am planning to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast