PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Handles (new pics on page 3)

Pages : [1] 2 3

bootsmcguire
01-31-2011, 11:49 PM
I got some free time with the CNC Lathe and decided to make my own 110 BA styled Tactical Bolt Handles. They are about the same length as an SSS Tactical Handle and about the same weight as a standard Savage BT handle. I personally like the good grasp I get from them and I think they look pretty good. I made them from a couple of old Savage Sporter handles I had extra, by using the factory handles as donors. As far as installation it was pretty much just -cut off the old handle - drill out the old handle base - remove burrs - glue in the new handle shaft with red loc-tite. I tell you what, that CNC can crank 'em out in no time.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx111/bootsmcguire/bolthandles.jpg

From top to bottom
Savage BT Handle
SSS Stainless Tactical Handle
My Custom Handle (2nd design)
My Custom Handle (prototype)

Both my handles are made from Cold Rolled Steel and still in the white.
I would have taken more pictures but my camera crapped out after this one.

blue
02-01-2011, 12:15 AM
really nice work, looks great

bootsmcguire
02-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Thanks blue, I may have to make just a FEW more of these ;).

mkf350
02-01-2011, 07:23 AM
How do I go about getting a couple? ;D

GaCop
02-01-2011, 08:41 AM
+1 what would it take to get a couple.

82boy
02-01-2011, 11:09 AM

Fellows, sales outside the classified section is prohibited.

bootsmcguire
02-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Guys, 82boy is right. Now that I see there is a need for them, I may make some extra and post them in the classifed section. Give me some time on that for some schedualing. Any thoughts or suggestions on the handles themselves? They are a D.I.Y. thing that requires a donor sporter handle.

GaCop
02-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Sounds good. Might I suggest the grooves in the handle be cut just a bit shallower? Might be easier on the fingers yet still give a good grip.

Tom

NeverNoLuck
02-01-2011, 12:50 PM
:o

Varget 7-08
02-01-2011, 04:06 PM
I hope you get to sell some! I'm interested

T. Stubbs
02-01-2011, 04:23 PM
can you post a picture how the look in a rifle?

mkf350
02-01-2011, 05:34 PM

Fellows, sales outside the classified section is prohibited.

Who said anything about paying for them... ;)

Aircraftmech76
02-01-2011, 06:29 PM
I agree with the shallower grooves in the handle. I would also like to see one without grooves. Good job with posting the pics showing the bolt handles next to each other; gives a benchmark for comparison.

Kevin

bootsmcguire
02-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Wow. Alot of interest in these. I am a little suprised to be honest, but I guess I shouldn't be. I am gonna do some checking on a few things before I dive in here, don't wanna get in trouble in any way ;). Thanks for the input guys, no grooves would not be a problem or shallow grooves either. I orginally thought about using aluminum instead of steel to save weight but steel turned out to be about the same as a BT handle and steel is alot cheaper. I will see where this road takes me I guess and see what I can come up with.

Keep ideas and preferences comming.

These are a Do It Yourself kinda thing now remember. But all you need is one of the new handles, a donor sporter handle, a drill, and abrasive cutting tool (since the factory handles are surface hard), and some loc-tite. Then just finish however you want, be it paint or duacoat, or blue, or just polish out.

I'll post my progress as I find out how much of a reality I can make this.

dwm
02-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Maybe it would be better to thread them instead of gluing them on ...?

ar15kittykat
02-01-2011, 10:21 PM
I agree with the shallower grooves in the handle. I would also like to see one without grooves. Good job with posting the pics showing the bolt handles next to each other; gives a benchmark for comparison.

Kevin

+1, w/o grooves w/ light knurling would be great, similar to Savages' BA110... I'll be interested in a couple... ;D

bootsmcguire
02-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Maybe it would be better to thread them instead of gluing them on ...?

Thought about that, but I was a little afraid of tapping on the cast factory handle section, plus I figured not everybody has access to taps, dies, and tap drills. I would hope anybody could go to Lowes and get some loc-tite and already have a vice and 1/4" drill. Plus with the tapping part, those factory handles are suprisingly hard from the factory heat treat, I don't know how a tap would take to that. Red Loc-tite is very strong and I turned the male side of the joint to .251" and drill the hole to .250" so you get a light press fit (since most drill bits end up drilling a .0005" over or so). The two originals I did seem to be very stout so far.

Was also thinking of some Knurling, but I can't do that in the CNC, we've tried before and it never turns out good. That would add an extra step by going over to a manual lathe. Might add some cost, I'll hafta loook into it.

sha-ul
02-01-2011, 11:51 PM
I used to use the green lock-tite for sleeve bearings on heavy duty machinery Caterpillar& Case IH, when you have a snug slip fit, or a decent interference fit, it will do a very good job of holding.

#609,& #645

Cover Dog
02-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Sounds good. Might I suggest the grooves in the handle be cut just a bit shallower? Might be easier on the fingers yet still give a good grip.

Tom

First thing I thought about when I saw that handle was to slip a couple of rubber "O" rings in the groves. I think that would give a good grip and lessen the sharpness of the grove. I want a couple!

bootsmcguire
02-02-2011, 12:10 AM
I like the O ring idea. I'll hafta see if I can find some, the edges of the groove are beveled and not too sharp at all. Be a pretty thick o ring since the grooves are about 3/16" wide, but I'll bet there is something out there.