PDA

View Full Version : Digital scale recommendations

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

yobuck
07-11-2021, 08:41 AM
On public lands the ranchers don't benefit other than by not having the elk compete with the cattle and tear up fences. I never was a fan of hunting on private land. Plenty of that around here too, including several ranches set up for raising and processing elk as well as hosting hunts. A couple of those are for sale if you are interested :) I think one was only $25M :)
I was referring to the (hosting hunts) part.
You want a trophy elk hanging on your wall, a hosted hunt would be the best way to do it assuming your pockets are deep enough.

Dave Hoback
07-11-2021, 04:34 PM
I hunted for a time. And enjoyed it. Stopped when I left Arizona. But I never was a “Sport” Hunter. I’ve never had an interest in a animal heads/antlers & such hanging on my wall. Where I live in Pa.(Tri-state area), hunting is extremely important for population control. Besides regular season hunting, most State parks here hire Sharp-Shooters every year.

Then there is varmint hunting. I’m not a fan of killing for the sake of, but there are many parts of country who’s farmers, cattle ranchers, etc. have serious problems. Look at the hog problem in Texas right now... I don’t have the answer. I’m certainly not on PETA’s side of things, but I have run into people who simply likes to kill animals, and wouldn’t call them friends either.

While hunting did at one time push much of the “Want & Need” for long distance shooting...., that has not been the case for a LONG time now. So yes, thank you Hunters of the past for your contribution. All you Hunters NOW? You had nothing to do with any of that! I’d say be careful of asking for recognition for events from the past, just because it’s a “thank you”. Remember.... Democrats & the Left are more than happy to give you the recognition for certain elements of the past! No thank you!

yobuck
07-11-2021, 05:45 PM
I hunted for a time. And enjoyed it. Stopped when I left Arizona. But I never was a “Sport” Hunter. I’ve never had an interest in a animal heads/antlers & such hanging on my wall. Where I live in Pa.(Tri-state area), hunting is extremely important for population control. Besides regular season hunting, most State parks here hire Sharp-Shooters every year.

Then there is varmint hunting. I’m not a fan of killing for the sake of, but there are many parts of country who’s farmers, cattle ranchers, etc. have serious problems. Look at the hog problem in Texas right now... I don’t have the answer. I’m certainly not on PETA’s side of things, but I have run into people who simply likes to kill animals, and wouldn’t call them friends either.

While hunting did at one time push much of the “Want & Need” for long distance shooting...., that has not been the case for a LONG time now. So yes, thank you Hunters of the past for your contribution. All you Hunters NOW? You had nothing to do with any of that! I’d say be careful of asking for recognition for events from the past, just because it’s a “thank you”. Remember.... Democrats & the Left are more than happy to give you the recognition for certain elements of the past! No thank you!
Im pretty familiar with the tri state area Dave, having lived in Bucks Co. for 64 years.
Most of those years were within spitting distance of the 1700 acre Tyler state park where the deer population is a big problem.
About 20 years very close to Nockamicson state park also.
They tried limited hunts in past years but the wako liberal animal lovers would lay on the road at the parking areas.
Never mind that Bucks county always led the entire state with road killed deer numbers which in some cases killed the driver of the car as well.
The snipers are just an alternative method that dosent create the circus atmosphere traditional hunting did.
They even tried archery only, and also handicap veterans only, but nothing satisfies these types.

charlie b
07-11-2021, 06:44 PM
We have the same problem with too many pests. Prairie dogs and coyotes are big ones out here. Even elk in some areas. My car was totaled last year on an early morning drive when an elk decided to commit suicide with my car. When talking to the local LEO (Mescalero Apaches) he said they had 375 elk accidents that year in his district alone. He hit one with his patrol car. Another officer hit an elk in the evening, then later that night hit another one.

Until my accident I always figured I'd be able to see the buggars when the headlights reflect off the eyes at the side of the road. Well, not so much. There was a 10ft drop at the edge of the road. The elk jumped that and the 3ft barb wire fence along the road and landed right in front of me. All I saw was a flash of brown filling the windshield just before the airbags went off. I decided early morning or later evening fishing trips aren't worth it anymore :)

Dave Hoback
07-11-2021, 08:24 PM
Im pretty familiar with the tri state area Dave, having lived in Bucks Co. for 64 years.
Most of those years were within spitting distance of the 1700 acre Tyler state park where the deer population is a big problem.
About 20 years very close to Nockamicson state park also.
They tried limited hunts in past years but the wako liberal animal lovers would lay on the road at the parking areas.
Never mind that Bucks county always led the entire state with road killed deer numbers which in some cases killed the driver of the car as well.
The snipers are just an alternative method that dosent create the circus atmosphere traditional hunting did.
They even tried archery only, and also handicap veterans only, but nothing satisfies these types.

Ahhh:smile-new: Bucks County is a stones throw up the road from me....I’m in Delaware Co. But, yeah.... you know it exactly. Nockamicson....I was very fond of that park many years ago, LOL!

SharpShooter82
07-12-2021, 11:37 AM
Yep, it is all in what we choose to do. Some like to hunt, others do not. Some like to go to the range and blast away at handgun distances while others want to hit a 12" plate at a mile or more. All of the disciplines have different requirements on rifle, ammo, shooting techniques and reloading techniques. What one person considers a horrible shooting rifle could be considered a tack driver by another. Some insist on that last .01" of group size, others will never shoot a group at all. Some will spend whatever it takes to reach their goal. Others will get by as cheaply as possible. Add in some personal biases/preferences and there is a huge range of 'perfect' answers.

This discussion of scales is a perfect example of all of this. Some want an automated system that gives them loads measured in .01gn increments and cost doesn't matter. Others don't even need to use a scale, just a powder scoop that throws some amount of powder. And many are in between those two somewhere.

It doesn't mean any one answer is wrong, it is just what we want out of our hobby. Some seem to think that if you don't do it their way then you are wrong. Nothing further from the truth. Giving advice on a forum is just that. The advice may be good for you, but, not so good for another. If the person does not take your advice it does not mean the advice was 'bad' or incorrect. It just means the person wants something different for their purpose.

Could not have said it better!!!

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk