PDA

View Full Version : Digital scale recommendations

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

7kings
07-05-2021, 07:47 PM
Kinda funny all the roads this thread has taken. I was just curious if anyone had a digital scale recommendation. It was interesting seeing the discussion, for sure. Didn't really get an answer to the question, unfortunately, but still interesting...

99 K 30-30
07-05-2021, 07:51 PM
As I said up front, The FA scale is plenty accurate enuf for handloading. Fresh batteries, sheltered from wind and chack often with a knoen weight item.

NF1E
07-05-2021, 07:53 PM
What?? Off topic much?

Not at all. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say. Proof is in the pudding. We use 1/2' dots at 100 yds for bolt rifles. Try it some time. That relates to a 5" target at 1000 yds. With the 10 separate targets on the sheet, it is a real test of the system, Equipment, Ammo, and trigger monkey all have to be working in unison to perform.

7kings
07-05-2021, 07:56 PM
As I said up front, The FA scale is plenty accurate enuf for handloading. Fresh batteries, sheltered from wind and chack often with a knoen weight item.

I've mentioned it a few times, but my FA scale does not respond well to trickling until you're a couple tenths past your target weight AND is sensitive to where the pan is set on the scale and how the powder is distributed in the pan. It is not consistent. Net result? I can't trust the FA for doing it and am interested in something a little nicer.

charlie b
07-05-2021, 08:00 PM
I have the cheap FA scale. It is consistent IF you let it settle. It also does not always respond to trickle well. I usually add a grain and then tap the scale to get it to settle again. And, if it is 'in between' readings it will go back and forth between the two. Just all a function of inexpensive piezo's.

Hence my interest in something a little more accurate without going way up in price.

7kings
07-05-2021, 08:11 PM
Hence my interest in something a little more accurate without going way up in price.

Yep. I've just got to believe (hope?) that there's something between the $40 FA and the $500-$750 A&D models that's worthwhile.

yobuck
07-06-2021, 09:20 AM
Not at all. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say. Proof is in the pudding. We use 1/2' dots at 100 yds for bolt rifles. Try it some time. That relates to a 5" target at 1000 yds. With the 10 separate targets on the sheet, it is a real test of the system, Equipment, Ammo, and trigger monkey all have to be working in unison to perform.
Not only that but for at least some, it can be both more fun and challenging than group shooting.
What your doing is essentially the same as hunter class benchrest.
Try shooting at clay birds at 400 yds with a 223, same type situation as the target.
Let the young kids do that and see how fast you run out of ammo.
Sometime load up a hundred 223s and dont weigh the charges.
Just dump them directly into the case from a good powder measure.
Look into the cases before seating the bullet to assure you didnt miss any, and that the powder level appears the same in all of them.
Then see if you can hit any clay birds at 400.

NF1E
07-06-2021, 11:01 AM
Not only that but for at least some, it can be both more fun and challenging than group shooting.
What your doing is essentially the same as hunter class benchrest.
Try shooting at clay birds at 400 yds with a 223, same type situation as the target.
Look into the cases before seating the bullet to assure you didnt miss any, and that the powder level appears the same in all of them.

After 60 plus years of shooting I sort of have it figured out what works for me. It is enjoyable sharing what I have learned over time. " You can lead a horse to water, but you can not make him drink" . Always loved that saying and amazing how it can be applied.

Viva America

Robinhood
07-06-2021, 01:21 PM
After 60 plus years of shooting I sort of have it figured out what works for me. It is enjoyable sharing what I have learned over time. " You can lead a horse to water, but you can not make him drink" . Always loved that saying and amazing how it can be applied.

Viva America

Yep
And they listen to misguided info all day long.

What powder? Where do you start with your powder drop. 1/2 full or fill to the base of the neck. 2mm below the neck? Maybe just random, i mean all barrels are the same and you don't need to find a node...right. The guy who follows this limited information will quit when he has no luck shooting small.

Dave Hoback
07-06-2021, 11:32 PM
Sorry.....forgot to add the smiley faces, laughing emoji-woji’s, and the subsequent LOL, LMAO-blBQRXZ...was just too lazy. I kiiiinda figured at this point, everyone would get it was “tongue in cheek” from me. NF1E, it wasn’t directed AT you. Was along the lines of what Brian pointed out... The “tangents” most of our threads seem to take. Just think it’s funny. Not in a bad way.

And yes, I’m familiar with the simulated “MOA at distance” by targeting sequential dot formatios. It’s kinda cool... I don’t buy into it, but cool none the less.

yobuck
07-07-2021, 08:39 AM
Fact is that there are a whole bunch of people who prefer to complicate what really isn’t complicated at all.
Nobody is talking about just dumping any amount of any powder into a case and then expecting good results.
I could actually care less if somebody wants to line up a bunch of powder scales in order to assure the powder charge in their (Savage) is perfect.
It’s their life and time to waste however they prefer doing it.
However, there is a legitimate argument as to how powder can be inserted into cases and still produce accurate loads.
The key word of coarse being (accurate), and what/who’s definition best describes it for each of us.
I dont care about quarter inch groups with my 223 o k.
But i will kill as many prairie dogs with mine and maybe more than a guy who does.
Whats a 223 made for anyway? Shooting tiny groups?
If im going to be loading 400 223s, rest assured i wont be trickeling the charges

Anybody who thinks that precise accuracy is the end all for all situations is living in a dream world anyway.
Which is exactly where many serious shooters reside.

7kings
07-07-2021, 09:43 AM
Fact is that there are a whole bunch of people who prefer to complicate what really isn’t complicated at all.
Nobody is talking about just dumping any amount of any powder into a case and then expecting good results.
I could actually care less if somebody wants to line up a bunch of powder scales in order to assure the powder charge in their (Savage) is perfect.
However, there is a legitimate argument as to how powder can be inserted into cases and still produce accurate loads.
The key word of coarse being (accurate), and what/who’s definition best describes it for each of us.
But i will kill as many prairie dogs with mine and maybe more than a guy who does.
If im going to be loading 400 223s, rest assured i wont be trickeling the charges

Anybody who thinks that precise accuracy is the end all for all situations is living in a dream world anyway.

When I'm loading 500 rounds of 9mm for a carry gun or a PCC, or even .45 for a custom 1911, I don't trickle charge. I reload on a 550b and check the charge every 10-20 rounds on a scale to make sure nothing has shifted. When I'm shooting carbine, I buy factory ammo, which is plenty accurate enough for the ranges and results I'm looking for.

However, for the bolt, I'm trying to make the smallest group of holes I can. I don't think anyone is saying that precise accuracy is the end-all for all situations - not sure I've ever heard anyone say that. BUT, I think assuming that everyone is only interested in a single discipline or goal of shooting is kind of a weird outlook.

Just my two cents, but I enjoy the reloading process, whether cranking out bulk or single-stage loading for rifle. It's meditative and the focus on detail helps quiet the mind. So for me, it has nothing to do with shooting prairie dogs; it's the enjoyment of the sport and the constant realization that there is always more to learn that I wasn't even aware of yesterday.

yobuck
07-07-2021, 10:56 AM
When I'm loading 500 rounds of 9mm for a carry gun or a PCC, or even .45 for a custom 1911, I don't trickle charge. I reload on a 550b and check the charge every 10-20 rounds on a scale to make sure nothing has shifted. When I'm shooting carbine, I buy factory ammo, which is plenty accurate enough for the ranges and results I'm looking for.

However, for the bolt, I'm trying to make the smallest group of holes I can. I don't think anyone is saying that precise accuracy is the end-all for all situations - not sure I've ever heard anyone say that. BUT, I think assuming that everyone is only interested in a single discipline or goal of shooting is kind of a weird outlook.

Just my two cents, but I enjoy the reloading process, whether cranking out bulk or single-stage loading for rifle. It's meditative and the focus on detail helps quiet the mind. So for me, it has nothing to do with shooting prairie dogs; it's the enjoyment of the sport and the constant realization that there is always more to learn that I wasn't even aware of yesterday.
Well thats fine, and thats exactly how i load for my guns.
I use the scale as an occasional reference check to assure nothing has changed.
If the scale itself isnt 100 percent accurate, it simply means that every charge weighed isnt 100 percent precise, so what?
Who/what gets to determine precise?
For me it’s things like dead prairie dogs, if it’s different for others thats ok.
The vast majority of us arent really capable enough to discern what small powder charge differences make anyway, especially when other factors like wind might also be in play.
For my type of shooting it’s necessary to have good equipment, including an accurate gun.
But the most important thing is to send enough lead to get it done, and hopefully thats just one.

NF1E
07-07-2021, 11:05 AM
Yep
And they listen to misguided info all day long.

What powder? Where do you start with your powder drop. 1/2 full or fill to the base of the neck. 2mm below the neck? Maybe just random, i mean all barrels are the same and you don't need to find a node...right. The guy who follows this limited information will quit when he has no luck shooting small.

IMR-8208 25 gn recently with 55 gn Berger fb. Used IMR-4198 for decades. Only recently dug out a couple of my Savage bolt rifles in .223 and got back into it. The sat dormant for a many years while working with other calibers.

7kings
07-07-2021, 11:26 AM
Well thats fine, and thats exactly how i load for my guns.
I use the scale as an occasional reference check to assure nothing has changed.
If the scale itself isnt 100 percent accurate, it simply means that every charge weighed isnt 100 percent precise, so what?
Who/what gets to determine precise?
For me it’s things like dead prairie dogs, if it’s different for others thats ok.
The vast majority of us arent really capable enough to discern what small powder charge differences make anyway, especially when other factors like wind might also be in play.
For my type of shooting it’s necessary to have good equipment, including an accurate gun.
But the most important thing is to send enough lead to get it done, and hopefully thats just one.

Fair enough, and I think that's the whole point, right? Everyone has their own goals and has to determine exactly what's important to them and what they want out of shooting. I think that's part of what makes the whole thing so interesting - for something as objectively simple as throwing a little chunk of metal out of a metal tube really fast, we have created a whole world of variety. It's just pretty cool to me that the community tends to be such a helpful and welcoming one, regardless of each person's place in the shooting spectrum.

Robinhood
07-07-2021, 12:13 PM

Yobuck. On most powder drops i've seen there is an adjustment screw to alter the size of the powder chamber. I have 2, One is an RCBS and one is a Harrells Premium. So I know this to be true. How do you adjust your drops for accuracy. All of them have lines and numbers on the adjustment screws for what...reference?

You like to downplay measuring for weight like powder charge amounts are not important. I know you don't believe that but I feel like you leave that out for a reason. Do you throw a random powder and a random weight or is there a process? I ask because if your not working with consistent powder charges whether it be by volume or weight it is out of ignorance. Once you start working up your load with a volume powder measure the process starts stringing out. Both processes now become, at the minimum slightly cumbersome for a reloaded. In all of you post about reloading all of that information is absent. Its like dump it in the measure and drop the powder put the bullet in and go shoot a deer at 500 yards and take the heart out. Nope.

Lets look at reality. If you are shooting at a range and loading at home. Pick your powder. Buy your accurate powder measure shipped to your house for $290( price you would never consider paying for a scale. Drop 3 or 5 charges at one volume. Then do same for maybe 5 more charges while slightly turning the volume screw. You document the loads volume reference number. You go to the range and test. Fail, nothing better than an inch. Whats you next move? What brings you satisfaction? Is 1" at 100 god enough? 5" at 300? What are you after. Tell the tale brother.

When we look at that process is there really that much difference? For me it is about where you want to be. Again shooting the absolute best your rifle will give you. Powder measure powder measure or charge weight. you still have to find the node. People much smarter than me have proved that. Aaaand, I have yet to see someone come on here and say " My new Savage rifle is shooting 1.5 MOA, I couldn't be happier!. Who could want anything better".

Don't bother telling me how you threw some Reloder 15 in a 7mm STW and it shot 1/4 MOA. I don't buy it. Don't be like the main stream media and leave out all the facts to create a narrative. Tell the whole story my friend, it is about progress not regression.

Dave Hoback
07-07-2021, 05:50 PM
Hey Brian, maybe have a look at this one. https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Digital-Bench-Scale-050111/dp/B08SNWDQJF/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=digital+reloading+scale&qid=1625693827&sr=8-13#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div Again, more than I’ll spend knowing the simplicity of a scale. (Even a digital scale!)

Says it handles trickle charging well. I don’t know. Lyman & FA also both make a SUB $100 unit.

BTW, you were able to find some Primers there, eh? Man! Good stuff!:thumb:

7kings
07-07-2021, 06:05 PM
Hey Brian, maybe have a look at this one. https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Digital-Bench-Scale-050111/dp/B08SNWDQJF/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=digital+reloading+scale&qid=1625693827&sr=8-13#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div Again, more than I’ll spend knowing the simplicity of a scale. (Even a digital scale!)

Says it handles trickle charging well. I don’t know. Lyman & FA also both make a SUB $100 unit.

BTW, you were able to find some Primers there, eh? Man! Good stuff!:thumb:

Thanks Dave - yeah, that's actually one of the scales I had been looking at - I guess it replaced the previous model relatively recently.

Yeah, I ran into a buddy who hooked me up with some primers. Still plenty of good folks out there!

Dave Hoback
07-07-2021, 10:17 PM
Oh nice. LOL! Yeah.... still some good eggs left:smile-new: Especially here.

Robinhood
07-08-2021, 02:45 AM
Since we have brought up powder scales. The Gempro haas been used with a lot of success. You have to watch the drift in certain environments but it does read down to .02.