PDA

View Full Version : Which would be best

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Robinhood
05-29-2021, 01:12 AM
Yeah, kinda suxs to get old but. it's a gift too......better than the alternative.

Right

I'm that guy who never considered I could wear this wonderfully designed body out and found out I was wrong. Hitting the ground hard too many times took it's toll.

Orezona
06-01-2021, 09:26 AM
Right

I'm that guy who never considered I could wear this wonderfully designed body out and found out I was wrong. Hitting the ground hard too many times took it's toll.

We don't hit, roll and spring back to our feet anymore!

yobuck
06-01-2021, 05:44 PM
Quit your *****in about getting old.
Think about those friends who died in their 40s and younger.
Or those who are confined to a rocking chair on the porch of some nursing home.
What would they give to be where we are?
Im 86 and i know exactly where i am as for the long term.
Thank your maker for allowing you another day, then go do something.
But dont be wasting any time weighing loads, just shoot. lol

charlie b
06-01-2021, 09:26 PM
Not really complaining. Old age sneaks in. We drift along thinking we are still young, until something reminds us we aren't. It can be something simple like not being able so sling an 40lb bag of concrete. Or, it can be a knee or hip that gives up. A rude awakening when we recognize the signs.

My father died at 57. I felt pretty good at that age. My father-in-law was my caution sign. When in his early 60's he could not go out and 'move dirt' like he used to and admitted he needed help with the fence work. Before he died at 67 he told me he always thought he had 20 more years. I still feel pretty good now despite a couple of brushes with cancer. But, I also know that I probably don't have 20 years left so I do what I want now instead of putting it off 'til next year'. And I am glad I am able to do what I want. And, yes, every day I wake up I am thankful for it.

Robinhood
06-02-2021, 10:53 AM
Think about those friends who died in their 40s and younger. We are blessed
Or those who are confined to a rocking chair on the porch of some nursing home. That's me.
What would they give to be where we are? Yep, physical therapy, pain medication, heart, diabetes and BP meds. I know they are envious.
Im 86 and i know exactly where i am as for the long term. You're fortunate my friend
Thank your maker for allowing you another day, then go do something. Stretching right now
But dont be wasting any time weighing loads, just shoot. lol Like that is an option with my obsessive compulsive disorder

See underlined Bold

yobuck
06-02-2021, 01:51 PM
See underlined Bold
Well at least you still have some semblance of a sence of humor.
Hopefully the compulsive disorder wont find a way to dismantle that. lol

charlie b
06-02-2021, 08:49 PM
The fact that he recognizes the OCD is proof that he still has a sense of humor :) I am a bit of the opposite, not having a lot of patience. Something I struggled with in my engineering career, and also hampers my shooting skills.

yobuck
06-03-2021, 10:54 AM
Well Charlie the things we do in our careers arent always easy to change.
Starting over at a new job or at a different location isnt easy, especially when theres family to consider.
But the things we do for enjoyment, should be simply that, enjoyment, at least imop.
We tend to place pressure on ourselves even with the things we do for pleasure.
Temperament plays a much larger role in all the things we do than most of us realize or are willing to admit.
Which is why i dont compete or shoot groups.
It dosent pay very well anyway. lol

Robinhood
06-03-2021, 12:02 PM
Well Charlie the things we do in our careers arent always easy to change.
Starting over at a new job or at a different location isnt easy, especially when theres family to consider.
But the things we do for enjoyment, should be simply that, enjoyment, at least imop.
We tend to place pressure on ourselves even with the things we do for pleasure.
Temperament plays a much larger role in all the things we do than most of us realize or are willing to admit.
Which is why i dont compete or shoot groups.
It doesn't pay very well anyway. lol

A lot of wisdom there.

Orezona
06-03-2021, 01:44 PM
A lot of wisdom there.

Agreed.

charlie b
06-03-2021, 08:13 PM
I agree, which is why I don't compete. Funny about job changes. Military for 20 years and I changed jobs at least 15 times. Moved 7 times. As an engineer for another 20 I only had 5 different jobs. Moved 3 times. Then there was dealing with retirement, which was more stressful than one might think. And moved twice.

I do like trying to do better at things. Managing my lack of patience is good for me in more ways than one. Funny how the therapy of shooting helps me deal with people, which has always been an issue for me as well.

Robinhood
06-03-2021, 11:01 PM
TMI brother Charlie. We starting to enter male bonding territory!

GaCop
06-04-2021, 06:37 AM
Think about those friends who died in their 40s and younger.
Or those who are confined to a rocking chair on the porch of some nursing home.
What would they give to be where we are?
Im 86 and i know exactly where i am as for the long term.
Thank your maker for allowing you another day, then go do something.
But don't be wasting any time weighing loads, just shoot. lol :thumb::thumb: You've got a few years on me! Ever since I was diagnosed with emphysema in 2009. I started running at least 5 miles a day. Got to the point in 2015 where I couldn't run any more so started walking 4 to 5 miles daily. 2014 I was diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma cancer after having an enlarged spleen removed. My doctors tells me I'm in pretty damned good shape for someone 74 years old with cancer and lung problems. I'm pretty damned lucky.

charlie b
06-04-2021, 08:50 AM
Thanks RH. It is a LOT of thread drift.

yobuck
06-04-2021, 09:10 AM
:thumb::thumb: You've got a few years on me! Ever since I was diagnosed with emphysema in 2009. I started running at least 5 miles a day. Got to the point in 2015 where I couldn't run any more so started walking 4 to 5 miles daily. 2014 I was diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma cancer after having an enlarged spleen removed. My doctors tells me I'm in pretty damned good shape for someone 74 years old with cancer and lung problems. I'm pretty damned lucky.
Well there you go, your positive attitude is no doubt a big plus as well.
Tomorrow will be my fathers birthday, he died 3 weeks before his 55th birthday from artery disease in 1961.
His brother at the same age from the same thing a few years earlier.
Their father at age 49, same thing.
I owe alot to a guy in Houston who pioneered a fix for that.
How many here besides me remember kids who developed polio?

wbm
06-04-2021, 09:39 AM
"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?" Satchel Paige

yobuck
06-04-2021, 12:04 PM
"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?" Satchel Paige
Hey, i actually saw old Satchel pitch when they finally left him wear a major league uniform.
Connie Macks As when they were still in Philly.
I think him and old Connie were about the same age.

charlie b
06-04-2021, 08:49 PM
Yep, I remember people who had polio. A big deal when we got the vaccine.

Dad died from melanoma at 57. Just five years later they perfected the techniques that would have let him live through it. My brother and his wife both had melanoma and are still going strong.

Robinhood
06-04-2021, 11:44 PM
Yep, I remember people who had polio. A big deal when we got the vaccine.

Dad died from melanoma at 57. Just five years later they perfected the techniques that would have let him live through it. My brother and his wife both had melanoma and are still going strong.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.... When you start getting to know peoples stories, your learn how much you have in common. I lost my father when he was 57 also. Cancer.

I owe alot to a guy in Houston who pioneered a fix for that.

Dr. Michael Debakey?

yobuck
06-05-2021, 08:40 AM
Dr. Michael Debakey?[/QUOTE]
Yes he was the go to guy back in the 70s.
I knew several from my area which was very close to Philly and NYC who chose to go to him.
I was 70 when i had it done, but by then thanks to him it was being done everywhere.