PDA

View Full Version : What happened?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Robinhood
03-29-2020, 04:41 PM
Tells you how far back you bump your shoulder. Called a comparitor. This is one type. Measure fired brass and when you size it you try to stay .001" to .002" less than fired dimension.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stu-offroad.com%2Ffirearms%2Freloading%2Fheadspace%2Fh eadspace-2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Mr.Snerdly
03-29-2020, 05:33 PM
That's what I thought you meant. I see you have a mechanical caliper. I wish I had one. The digital ones are fussy sometimes and I don't have a cheap one either. I want to get some actual micrometers. I believe they are more accurate. I know they would be more accurate than the digital I have.

Mr.Snerdly
03-29-2020, 06:01 PM
Would the shoulder dimension of my case compared to a new one tell you the information you need to know?

Robinhood
03-29-2020, 06:49 PM
The one that will tell you the most is one fired from you rifle but not yet sized.

sharpshooter
03-29-2020, 08:52 PM
One cannot "blow out" an ejector......it will only jam and stick in the bolt face. I've seen extractors "blow out" but they only go as far as the extreme outside of the bolt head and jam into the receiver threads, and sometimes the detent ball comes out. If this scenario happened, it WOULD get your attention.

Mr.Snerdly
03-29-2020, 09:52 PM
I am going to Lincoln tomorrow and get one of those comparators it they have one. If they don't I might wait and get that and a few other things online unless with the China virus deal the shipping would be very slow. I thought I could do it another way but there are two problems with the way I am doing it. I know it is time to do more than neck size. On the case that gave trouble I won't even tell you what I came up with for a measurement. I don't see how it would be possible to get the dimension I did and will try it again with the comparitor. The other brass that was fired I think I am safe to say that my measurements would be a fairly close and it is definitely time to do a little more than neck size with the other brass. I believe the shoulder has been pushed out .006"-.0065". The bolt has more resistance too.

I despise the digital calipers. It is nearly impossible to get the same reading twice. About the only thing is get a half dozen readings and average them. I really need to get a 0-1", 0-3" micrometer and a 0-2" would be nice but I can probably get by with the two I mentioned.

I might take the gun to a local guy that is not a gunsmith by profession but is good. I am almost afraid to shoot again until someone looks it over.

Robinhood
03-30-2020, 01:41 AM
Some people take a 9mm or 40 cal pistol case and set it over the mouth and measure from base to base. After all it is a reference dimension.
This is not my picture.
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FSBy9rXK.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Fuj'
03-30-2020, 08:33 AM
I thought that was odd, figured it got thrown out when I ejected but fortunately, before I shot again, I pulled the bolt and couldn't see through the bore. Got back home and there was brass or part of the primer lodged in the very back part. I took a cleaning rod and had to tap a few times to dislodge it.

Squib load was mentioned, and I'm leaning towards that. Pics would
go a long way in solving this. Still have that target ?? It's possible
that you sent a pill thru a stuck pill, and left some jacket material in
the bore. If that happened, I'd have the barrel scoped and checked
for loose spots......Really need to find that debris you pushed out !!

GrenGuy
03-30-2020, 09:15 AM
There is nothing wrong with digital calipers, unless it is defective.

I suggest You take Your rifle to “the local guy”, “that is good” :( JMO

yobuck
03-30-2020, 10:11 AM
First thing i would do is take the gun to a very well known (gunsmith), not just some wannabe, and have it repaired and thouraly checked out.
Next i would be reviewing my entire approach to loading, including an honest evaluation of my own ability, and what my goals are for shooting.
Despite what we read on the internet, the basic reloading dies sold by makers like RCBS and Lee are very good and capable of producing loads beyond the shooting ability of most of us with modern factory rifles. Who ever started the notion that accurate loads cant be created with full legnth resized cases should be exposed for what he is, an idiot. Read the manual that comes with the dies when you set them up and thats it.
Ive been loading since ive been 15, and im now 85. Ive never owned a comparator, and dont see the need to have one. Finding the OAL of the cartridge is as easy as closing the bolt on a partially seated bullet and adjust the die till you get the desired length.
What else is necessary for us to have than that?
I agree that a good set of calipers is nice to have, but fact is they dont have to be professional quality.
If we keep a dummy round of the load, and an empty case of the proper length, then it need only be used as a gauge to compare length.

Now if we want to become another cat chasing his tail with regard to even smaller than necessary groups, then we just dont skip over the basics and start at a higher level because of the way we go about loading ammo, like neck sizing only for example.
The old cliche of trying to create a silk purse from a sows ear still applies, and it no doubt always will.

Texas10
04-01-2020, 12:30 PM
My first thought was the obstruction in the barrel was a clump of partially burnt powder. I think it quite unlikely that parts of the ejector somehow managed to move forward past the case being ejected. Perhaps if you closed the bolt after ejecting the cartridge, but you don't mention that. Then there's the description of knocking it out of the barrel, indicating it was stuck there.

I'd start by removing the barreled action from the stock and inspect everything very carefully. I would also highly recommend that you purchase a borescope camera, or Teslong camera so you can inspect the inside of the barrel for any defects.

The blown primer may be an indication of a too long case, not trimmed properly to length and the neck was forced into the chamber throat thereby pinching the bullet. Saw a guy do this at the range with the same results you describe. First thing he did was toss the cartridge case which greatly reduced the ability to diagnose.

Running your cases through the action with the borescope camera in the throat allows you to see just how much room your trim methods leave for safety. A few thou extra for the wife and kids is never a bad thing.

Any possibility that the trigger work you did left something out or amiss? Don't mean to accuse, just trying to think of all the possibilities.

Robinhood
04-01-2020, 02:03 PM
First thing i would do is take the gun to a very well known (gunsmith), not just some wannabe, and have it repaired and thouraly checked out.
Next i would be reviewing my entire approach to loading, including an honest evaluation of my own ability, and what my goals are for shooting.
Despite what we read on the internet, the basic reloading dies sold by makers like RCBS and Lee are very good and capable of producing loads beyond the shooting ability of most of us with modern factory rifles. Who ever started the notion that accurate loads cant be created with full legnth resized cases should be exposed for what he is, an idiot. Read the manual that comes with the dies when you set them up and thats it.
Ive been loading since ive been 15, and im now 85. Ive never owned a comparator, and dont see the need to have one. Finding the OAL of the cartridge is as easy as closing the bolt on a partially seated bullet and adjust the die till you get the desired length.
What else is necessary for us to have than that?
I agree that a good set of calipers is nice to have, but fact is they dont have to be professional quality.
If we keep a dummy round of the load, and an empty case of the proper length, then it need only be used as a gauge to compare length.

Now if we want to become another cat chasing his tail with regard to even smaller than necessary groups, then we just dont skip over the basics and start at a higher level because of the way we go about loading ammo, like neck sizing only for example.
The old cliche of trying to create a silk purse from a sows ear still applies, and it no doubt always will.

Yobuck is a wise man and has been doing this for more years than most. The reality is that there would be indicators involved in this situation that someone with experience would have easily identified. We are left without those items as they are not available to us. For any new hobby there is a learning curve and often help is needed to get over that curve. I would take a look at the bold print above and consider that there may be more to it than just threading some dies down on the press, sizing, fill and pill. Get some in person assistance from a knowledgeable person.

yobuck
04-01-2020, 02:54 PM
In fairness there is a much better opportunity to shorten the learning curve today, than when i began loading or learning anything else for that matter.
And that could in fact also include various tools available today that didnt exist at that time also.
But loading ammo in and of itself isnt going to shorten any curve, regardless as to how we go about doing it.

wbm
04-01-2020, 07:02 PM
Get some in personal assistance from a knowledgeable person.

+1

Mr.Snerdly
04-01-2020, 07:23 PM
My first thought was the obstruction in the barrel was a clump of partially burnt powder. I think it quite unlikely that parts of the ejector somehow managed to move forward past the case being ejected. Perhaps if you closed the bolt after ejecting the cartridge, but you don't mention that. Then there's the description of knocking it out of the barrel, indicating it was stuck there.

I'd start by removing the barreled action from the stock and inspect everything very carefully. I would also highly recommend that you purchase a borescope camera, or Teslong camera so you can inspect the inside of the barrel for any defect.

The blown primer may be an indication of a too long case, not trimmed properly to length and the neck was forced into the chamber throat thereby pinching the bullet. Saw a guy do this at the range with the same results you describe. First thing he did was toss the cartridge case which greatly reduced the ability to diagnose.

Running your cases through the action with the borescope camera in the throat allows you to see just how much room your trim methods leave for safety. A few thou extra for the wife and kids is never a bad thing.

Any possibility that the trigger work you did left something out or amiss? Don't mean to accuse, just trying to think of all the possibilities.

You have given some good ideas. I know the case wasn't too long. I checked it before reloading and also after the mishap. It was under the maximum length both times. I am sure it was not parts of the ejector pin. I didn't close the bolt after the incident. I am wondering if maybe the piece could be in the rifle yet. I looked as carefully as I could on the floor and I wonder maybe if it could have dropped into the magazine and be in the bottom part of the magazine.

On the digital calipers, I wonder if there might be something wrong with mine. A lot of times when I put it back to zero it will show-.0005" even though I always zero it each time before measuring. A few times it will say-.0010". Not usually but sometimes. I wonder if it might be be off .0005" sometimes and that is why I come up with inconsistent readings. I just have never trusted digital things too much. The digital powder scale included in the reloading kit is horribly inaccurate. I realize you can't expect much for the price you buy the whole kit for but I think they should just not even include it if it is so inaccurate. I use the beam scale to measure powder.

Robinhood
04-01-2020, 10:01 PM
.0005"-.001" is nothing to get worked up about.

yobuck
04-01-2020, 10:29 PM
You have given some good ideas. I know the case wasn't too long. I checked it before reloading and also after the mishap. It was under the maximum length both times. I am sure it was not parts of the ejector pin. I didn't close the bolt after the incident. I am wondering if maybe the piece could be in the rifle yet. I looked as carefully as I could on the floor and I wonder maybe if it could have dropped into the magazine and be in the bottom part of the magazine.

On the digital calipers, I wonder if there might be something wrong with mine. A lot of times when I put it back to zero it will show-.0005" even though I always zero it each time before measuring. A few times it will say-.0010". Not usually but sometimes. I wonder if it might be be off .0005" sometimes and that is why I come up with inconsistent readings. I just have never trusted digital things too much. The digital powder scale included in the reloading kit is horribly inaccurate. I realize you can't expect much for the price you buy the whole kit for but I think they should just not even include it if it is so inaccurate. I use the beam scale to measure powder.
I have a set of Mitoyo or similar sounding name manual calipers. Probably had them over 20 years, and they werent all that expensive.
They can be fine tune set on zero before using them, and also locked at any measurement for things like checking case length.
But if you keep an old case, even one with a split neck trimmed to the proper length, thats all you really need. And that case also makes it easy to adjust the case trimmer length also. You could probably find a suitable set of calipers for all your loading needs at Harbor Freight.
As for precise powder charges, we could have a long heated debate over that also.
But just to satisfy your own curiosity on that issue, load 3 rounds with a charge weight like say 25 grains for this discussion example.
Then load 3 more with 1/4 of a grain increase. Then 3 more with a 1/2 grain increase.
Shoot the first 3 into a target, disregarding where the group is with regard to where your aiming point was.
Then use the exact same aiming point, and shoot the second 3 shots and the third 3 shots and see where all 9 shots landed.
Then have a big discussion with yourself over the importance of precise weighing of charges to the 1/10th of a grain.

Mr.Snerdly
04-01-2020, 10:48 PM
^^^^Another option would be some used micrometers. They aren't terribly expensive if you can find them used and I am much more comfortable using a micrometer.

Maybe this isn't as precision as I have been led to believe. A guy can overdo it either way I guess.

Robinhood
04-02-2020, 01:45 AM
Then have a big discussion with yourself over the importance of precise weighing of charges to the 1/10th of a grain.

You mean me trying to keep everything within .04 grains is overkill? You're a one shot one kill guy with big cases(100gr h2o). When you drop that case down around 50gr h2o or less, things get a little more sensitive with 20 shot strings looking for 1/2 moa. Don't make me come up there next deer season!

yobuck
04-02-2020, 09:19 AM
You mean me trying to keep everything within .04 grains is overkill? You're a one shot one kill guy with big cases(100gr h2o). When you drop that case down around 50gr h2o or less, things get a little more sensitive with 20 shot strings looking for 1/2 moa. Don't make me come up there next deer season!
Difference is your goal, and every other competition shooters goal is to win the match they are competing in. Those who claim otherwise are lying. lol
Therefore you will be apt to grab every straw that floats downstream if you think it will help in your quest for better accuracy.
Even more so if shooter Joe has it or is doing it and Joe usually outshoots you. Never mind that the difference could simply be Joe.
Hunters on the other hand at least as a general rule, have a more undisciplined mindset about them as for perfection, that includes (most) l/r hunters.
At least the ones who are somewhat consistently successful. Not that accuracy dosent matter, just that it dosent matter as much. One bad shot, maybe even caused by an unseen tree branch, dosent necessarily mean you lost the match. And does it really matter what caused the miss?
What really matters is what happens next, and that requires a hunters mindset.
Trivia question.
You have been glassing a side hill across the valley from where you sit all day.
At 4pm as you are about to quit for the day since it will be getting dark very soon, a really nice buck comes over the top of the ridge.
But he proceeds to lay down behind a couple very large trees giving you no shot.
So, will you be coming back to this very spot tomorrow?