PDA

View Full Version : What happened?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

charlie b
04-02-2020, 03:44 PM
Yep, we are all looking for something a little different :)

Hunting? What's that? :)

Would I come back to the same spot? Depends. :) I might look for someplace on the other side of that ridge, but, careful not to be near one of the well used trails. Or was the other side of the ridge steep enough to make recovering the deer not so easy? Or was it a cloudy day instead of a sunny day (or vice versa)? Sometimes they will take their siestas in the same places and sometimes not, so he may decide to lie down on the other side next day.

If it was elk I would not bother. They go different places almost every time (unless you found a good water hole).

Mr.Snerdly
04-03-2020, 07:29 PM
Who ever started the notion that accurate loads cant be created with full legnth resized cases should be exposed for what he is, an idiot. Read the manual that comes with the dies when you set them up and thats it.

Don't the cases last longer if you full length resize no more than necessary? That is probably one reason I was doing it initially, plus I didn't have the press set up yet.

charlie b
04-03-2020, 10:34 PM
They last just as long when full length sizing. Neck sizing really does not do much special. You'd have to be a much better shot than I am to be able to tell a difference. FWIW, failure usually occurs in the neck anyway. So the brass is worked just as much either way.

I only neck size, but, it's just cause I am lazy. I use the Lee collet dies so no lube needed. And I never get a case stuck in the die cause I forgot to lube it :) I only fire the cartridges in one rifle so neck only works fine.

Mr.Snerdly
04-03-2020, 11:47 PM
Doesn't the shoulder get pushed out if all you do is neck size? It seems to my limited experience it does. It also seems some calibers are worse than others. The 223 maybe has been loaded 1 time less than the 243 but I can't measure hardy any difference and the 243 was .009" on a few. I think all of them were at least .0065" and most were more than that. It was getting to where the bolt was hard to close and open. I am still waiting on a full length die for the 243 and today I got a notice it hasn't even been shipped yet. The China virus has really messed things up.

Robinhood
04-04-2020, 03:53 AM
Doesn't the shoulder get pushed out if all you do is neck size? It seems to my limited experience it does. It also seems some calibers are worse than others. The 223 maybe has been loaded 1 time less than the 243 but I can't measure hardy any difference and the 243 was .009" on a few. I think all of them were at least .0065" and most were more than that. It was getting to where the bolt was hard to close and open. I am still waiting on a full length die for the 243 and today I got a notice it hasn't even been shipped yet. The China virus has really messed things up.

.009" growth at the shoulder. Somebody does not know how to set up their die.

charlie b
04-04-2020, 07:43 AM
No, the shoulders on mine don't move at all when just neck sizing. That's the nice thing about shooting all the cases in one rifle (and I don't shoot max loads).

If you full length size set them up so you either bump the shoulder slightly or you just touch the shoulder. When I used to full length size I would set mine to just touch the shoulder of a fired case.

Robinhood
04-04-2020, 11:08 AM
Charlieb, I got that and you are right. I was looking at Mr.snerdly's comment. If you notice, I quoted his post where he said that some of his 243 grew .009" at the shoulder. I could have missed something though. I would expect a 1st firing to move a little if the headspace was set at max. >009" is out of that realm and this leads me to believe he had a case head separation and that was what he saw in his barrel. Not sure but one other poster may have said something like this already.

Mr.Snerdly
04-04-2020, 12:06 PM
^^I do think something is wrong with that brass. I heard Winchester had some problems with their brass years ago and this ammo was old so it might be some that did. This brass also had 3 split necks after the first firing. I haven't had the 22-250 brass grow that much either. I don't have full length resizing dies for the 243 and 223 yet. I don't know when they will be here with the mess in shipping. Normally they would have been here by now.

Robinhood
04-04-2020, 01:20 PM
Brother, you need to address the .009" shoulder length growth.

yobuck
04-04-2020, 04:26 PM
Ive had neck splits on new but old brass that had been sitting around in the original box for a number of years.
Ive also had ammo given to me that had been loaded by people i had known and was never fired, new brass.
I pulled the bullets and dump the powder and throw both away. Next day all the cases are neck split.
Especially if you plan on using the ammo for hunting, by all means full length resize it.
Take no chances on an empty hanging up in the chamber.
Just follow the directions that comes with the dies when setting them up.

There is one other thing that could have taken place with the incident, and it has happened to me.
Old ammo, meaning reloaded ammo that has been sitting around for a period of time, maybe several years.
There is a thing that can take place called ( case welding ).
What happens is that over time the case attaches itself to the bullet, thereby causing excessive pressure when it’s fired.
How much pressure depends on how much welding has taken place.
The way to check for it is to put one of the loaded cartridges in your press and run it up into the seating die after you have turned the seating depth in a turn or so. In other words we want to push the bullet further into the case.
When you do that be very carefull about listening for a snap sound, sorta like a stick snapping.
IF you have that situation, there is your answer to your problem.
You can correct it by being aware that it can happen, and check all old reloaded ammo before firing it by seating the bullets slightly deeper.

charlie b
04-04-2020, 10:12 PM
Charlieb, I got that and you are right. I was looking at Mr.snerdly's comment. If you notice, I quoted his post where he said that some of his 243 grew .009" at the shoulder. I could have missed something though. I would expect a 1st firing to move a little if the headspace was set at max. >009" is out of that realm and this leads me to believe he had a case head separation and that was what he saw in his barrel. Not sure but one other poster may have said something like this already.

Sorry, I was also referring back to Snerdly's comment. Just forgot to quote it. And the shoulder moving that much to me would be an issue as well.

My first thought about the obstruction would be that the primer had somehow wedged itself in there, but, that is not likely unless the next round was shoved in there to jam it in the bore.

Second thought was that for some reason a portion of the last bullet fired separated in the bore. I've never heard of that happening.

When I have had a case head separate I could easily see through the bore and the only obvious clue was the next round would not chamber.

If the recovered case is the one that was fired last and is complete then it has to be primer, piece of bullet, or a foreign object in the case with the powder.

Bunky-Shooter
04-17-2020, 08:05 PM
I'm pretty sure this is a headspace issue. Looking at the fired casing being measured with a shoulder gage that casing is bulging just above the case head says a lot.. This normally happens when you resize your casing and push the shoulder to far back. That's the reason the primer was pushed out of the primer pocket. You need to measure your shot casing and only bump your shoulder back .002 and this problem should stop.. You are also shooting a high pressure round and could be opening up your primer pocket if you are shooting them at max. loads. As for the obstruction in your barrel it had to be something inside your casing that came out with the powder.. I would also take your bolt apart and inspect the firing pin and components.. More severe problems could happen if your firing pin was damaged...

yobuck
04-18-2020, 01:03 PM
Well lets look at it another way, suppose i said my opinion is that its an indigestion issue your having.
Or do we look at chest pain issues differently than head pain issues?
Apparently we do.

Robinhood
04-20-2020, 12:36 AM
Well lets look at it another way, suppose i said my opinion is that its an indigestion issue your having.
Or do we look at chest pain issues differently than head pain issues?
Apparently we do.

I'm going to put this right here.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. i5hY2ezvNmT5PSLlxKbmzAHaGV%26pid%3DApi&f=1

wbm
04-20-2020, 09:05 AM
_.

yobuck
04-20-2020, 10:50 AM
I'm going to put this right here.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. i5hY2ezvNmT5PSLlxKbmzAHaGV%26pid%3DApi&f=1
Yes, and no doubt his mother sitting there watching the game said, look at that, everybody is wearing the wrong uniform but my Joey. lol

I suppose our life experiences may tend to change the way we think and view things.
When i was 14 years old, i stood about 10’ from my father as he shot for the first time a nice 3006 sporter built on an Enfield action he had just bought.
The second shot blew the rifle apart much like this one, and caused severe damage to my father.
Thankfully the bolt remained in the gun.
He had purchased the gun from a Pawn shop in Philly, and the owner gave him no satisfaction at all when he went back after recovering somewhat.
Of coarse there being no internet then, he had no other choice but taking it to a gunsmith, again in Philly.
Actually as it turned out a very good choice of gunsmith who had a partner who built the stocks and did the checkering on them.
He took one look at the gun and said that gun came from Sedgley, i worked at Sedgley and Pete here built that stock.
But added, i dont think that barrel was on that gun when it left Sedgley.
Turned out the gun had been owned by a Philly cop who liked to tinker around with guns.
And it also turned out to be a headspace issue that caused it.
My father didnt even know what headspace was at that point.
But the biggest surprise came when the gunsmith said what are you going to do with the gun?
The action was still ok, so guess what, he rebuilt the thing and used it for the rest of his life.
The new stock was actually nicer than the first one.
Today is my 85th birthday, i had heart surgery when i was 70.
But the guy who did it was no amateur, and neither are the guys who build my guns.
Were talking very serious stuff here, that should be obvious, and to my mind at least theres no room for amateur opinions.

Robinhood
04-20-2020, 01:27 PM
Agreed, But we are all Savagesmiths ....right?

yobuck
04-20-2020, 02:06 PM
I doubt very much that Savage created the barrel nut in order for a bunch of gun nuts to become Savagesmiths.
But one thing is for sure, without it there would be a whole lot less of them.
And again, just my opinion is that wouldnt necessarily be a bad thing.
Fully realizing that comment wont make me more popular around here.

Fuj'
04-21-2020, 07:58 AM
Today is my 85th birthday.

I'll hoist a hop flavored cold one later this day. Stay well !!

That relief pitcher on the mound should be Yuengling.....:cool:

yobuck
04-21-2020, 09:58 AM
I'll hoist a hop flavored cold one later this day. Stay well !!

That relief pitcher on the mound should be Yuengling.....:cool:
Thank you, they the opened a brewery here in Tampa a few years ago.
Now Americas oldest brewery is also in Florida, and very popular here also.
Im not much of a beer person, a case will last me a year, but one can be enjoyable with things like Pizza.
I usually stop by Straubs brewery in Saint Marys Pa when im up at our camp and buy 2 cases.
One for the camp and one to bring home.
Maybe thats why my mind is off track, i dont drink enough beer. lol