PDA

View Full Version : What scope for $1500 to $2000

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Zero333
01-12-2017, 11:35 PM
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/10/18/best-tactical-scopes-and-reticles/

This will answer your question as to which optic.

Use the one that is used the most by PRS shooters and is in your price range. It doesn't get any simpler that that !

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/09/19/tactical-scopes-field-test-results-summary/

toddcdozer
01-12-2017, 11:36 PM
Kinda funny but I wasn't counting 223 from ARs in my amount shot. Didn't occur to me that I still bang 400+ at every steel shoot + big stuff. So yeah I probably STILL SHOOT 5k+ a yr and that's just shooting 1 or 2 days a month. 223 is like popcorn.:)

schnyd112
01-12-2017, 11:50 PM
Yeah he's killed a million deer, 1000 of them at a mile, at least. He has shot more at a mile than I have in my life, at any distance. His 4 year old shoots a 338 edge better than anyone on this board. He has no problem letting everybody know he is the baddest killer on the planet, threatening extinction on anything that breathes. The souls of the animals he has killed have granted him immortality.

toddcdozer
01-12-2017, 11:57 PM
Yeah he's killed a million deer, 1000 of them at a mile, at least. He has shot more at a mile than I have in my life, at any distance. His 4 year old shoots a 338 edge better than anyone on this board. He has no problem letting everybody know he is the baddest killer on the planet, threatening extinction on anything that breathes. The souls of the animals he has killed have granted him immortality.
Actually about a million and 4after this yr. Slowing down in my old age. Kid was 8 or 9 also.:)

toddcdozer
01-13-2017, 12:10 AM
And instead of acting like a jealous little kid , why don't we debate the actual mechanics of the subject instead of insinuating that someone either has or hasn't done something. Shooting LR isn't magic in todays day and age. The equipment and knowledge available has increased massively since the early 80s when I started with a Shepherd scope. Anyone can do this stuff if they have a place to shoot. Everyone where I am from shoots LR. Everything is LR. A wheat field is usually 1 mile across.
Lets talk about what my recommendations were instead of being surprised someone actually shot 10 thousand whole rounds in a yr. WOW. Or that his kids first deer kills were with a 338. Big deal.
So what would your recommendations be for a 1 mile capable combo....and don't go sneaking over to LRH and ask.:)

toddcdozer
01-13-2017, 12:25 AM
Actually according to your posts on LRH I have shot more at 1 mile than you have your whole life. I can paste your MY FIRST RIFLE threads from 2015 if you wish.

schnyd112
01-13-2017, 01:07 AM
Bud I have been shooting since I was 8. I am 30 now and just was able to BUILD my first semi-custom rifle. Post all you want, bud, I know what I can do and I know when I run into a guy that likes to toot his own horn.

You have an opinion on everything and come across as a pompous asshat. Step away from the keyboard, go tally your rounds and burn barrels so you can come tell all of us commoners how you are gods gift to the sport.

toddcdozer
01-13-2017, 01:22 AM
Bud I have been shooting since I was 8. I am 30 now and just was able to BUILD my first semi-custom rifle. Post all you want, bud, I know what I can do and I know when I run into a guy that likes to toot his own horn.

You have an opinion on everything and come across as a pompous asshat. Step away from the keyboard, go tally your rounds and burn barrels so you can come tell all of us commoners how you are gods gift to the sport.So I guess we aren't getting any insight into ELR glass then?

schnyd112
01-13-2017, 01:28 AM
Guess not

toddcdozer
01-13-2017, 01:36 AM
I am not a gift to anything.
This stuff is just MATH.
And there are apps available now. There didn't used to be.
We had to count fenceposts or use a Barr and Stroud or just wing it.
I'm not tooting my horn, yeah I killed a slew of em. I figured I would be dead by 40 so I spent the first part of my life either hunting or fishing.
Point is ANYONE can do this stuff nowadays. It's rocket science but you have a phone that has a computer many times more powerful than what sent men to the moon. Bullets are better.
Glass is OMG BETTER.
Barrels are better.
Information is unbelievably better. We used to have to BUY BOOKS! WOW! Crazy stuff. And they were not cheap. I used to go to estate sales of guys who had books. More info on LRH than all the LR books ever written.
Powders are giving us 200fps+ that we never had.
Ohhh and almost forgot..........lasers. Yeah try LR without those, it was like Black Magic back then.
Point is I aint shit. The technology and equipment IS. Take away my laser and glass and I am going back to a bow.
Sorry if I come off as a pompous asshat I just want everyone to realize the advantages available nowadays and hopefully see fewer deer walking around with body parts hanging off of them or gutshot.
Peace out and hope you draw a good tag in Nevada. Even pompous asshats generally wish other hunters well.

toddcdozer
01-13-2017, 01:39 AM
BTW I formally apologize to the OP for the preceding lunacy but still counsel OP to consider a reticle with 30MOA+ and preferably windage as well. Hope your build goes well.

XL105
01-13-2017, 05:02 AM

LongRange
01-13-2017, 09:45 AM
10K a year is a decent amount, but not really that much for someone who practices/shoots competition. When I was younger, I was on a college small bore team, and we shot a minimum of 100 rounds a day, 6 days a week. That equates out to over 30k rounds a year, maybe a hare less with holidays... those of us who lived close to campus continued practice through summer break.

i shoot competitions...i shot 3 a month most of last year...i practice at a minimum of 4 days per month and i live so close to where i shoot it takes me longer to set up my targets than it does to drive to my spot and the most ive ever shot was 6k in a year...now im not saying todd didnt shoot 10k per year but i do know that 10k per year is a LOT of shooting!
as you say you shot 30k a year but you were in school and im sure the school supplied all of the equipment so i could see that because if i had the time and the money i could easily shoot 30+k a year.

LOL I have burned 6-284 barrels to the ground in less than a week on turtles.

so right around 5600 rounds in a week? thats pretty impressive and you must be one hell of a shot with all that practice...and im not saying you havent done everything you claim but i will say i find it hard to believe because as i said above i shoot A LOT and have never come close to 10k rounds in a year through a bolt gun...or 2 bolt guns for that matter.

Lol lol lol. When a thread goes sideways it Goes!!! I'm just glad it wasn't me this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it happens when ppl post things that are hard to believe.

iflyskyhigh
01-13-2017, 11:32 AM
Jesus Christ, there are so many ****s on the internet it's almost too much. I quit every social media sight for this very reason. But the message boards are just as bad. If this was an isolated incident it would be one thing, but it seems about 8/10 posts I try and follow devolve into this. I just subscribed to this post for insight on scopes and it turns into a "my dick is bigger than yours" argument in 2 seconds flat. This stupid hillbilly redneck honor culture is what's destroying this country. Which by the way is the same stupid honor culture that's shared by blacks in the ghetto, and the Islamic jihadists, which I'm sure you hate. Kind of ironic that you share something so closely with the people you probably dislike the most. And to preempt your response about how there is no way you could be a redneck hillbilly "cause" of how much money you have, it's not about wealth. It about culture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yobuck
01-13-2017, 12:38 PM
Jesus Christ, there are so many ****s on the internet it's almost too much. I quit every social media sight for this very reason. But the message boards are just as bad. If this was an isolated incident it would be one thing, but it seems about 8/10 posts I try and follow devolve into this. I just subscribed to this post for insight on scopes and it turns into a "my dick is bigger than yours" argument in 2 seconds flat. This stupid hillbilly redneck honor culture is what's destroying this country. Which by the way is the same stupid honor culture that's shared by blacks in the ghetto, and the Islamic jihadists, which I'm sure you hate. Kind of ironic that you share something so closely with the people you probably dislike the most. And to preempt your response about how there is no way you could be a redneck hillbilly "cause" of how much money you have, it's not about wealth. It about culture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well at least on the internet bar room as opposed to a real bar room there's less real fights.
Hey bud, if your not gonna to eat any of them peanuts, how bout slidin that bowl down this way. lol

toddcdozer
01-13-2017, 01:28 PM
i shoot competitions...i shot 3 a month most of last year...i practice at a minimum of 4 days per month and i live so close to where i shoot it takes me longer to set up my targets than it does to drive to my spot and the most ive ever shot was 6k in a year...now im not saying todd didnt shoot 10k per year but i do know that 10k per year is a LOT of shooting!
as you say you shot 30k a year but you were in school and im sure the school supplied all of the equipment so i could see that because if i had the time and the money i could easily shoot 30+k a year.

so right around 5600 rounds in a week? thats pretty impressive and you must be one hell of a shot with all that practice...and im not saying you havent done everything you claim but i will say i find it hard to believe because as i said above i shoot A LOT and have never come close to 10k rounds in a year through a bolt gun...or 2 bolt guns for that matter.

it happens when ppl post things that are hard to believe.Not 6 separate 284 barrels, good lord. ONE BARREL chambered in 6-284. Not that hard to do with a 6-284 running fast on turtles, some 6-284 barrels burn in less than 700 rds lol.

Things get hard to believe because many of us live in a bubble. If its not common where we live, or who we hang with then it must be impossible.

I cant believe anything that goes on in NYC, Chicago or LA. All seems like a fairy tale or nightmare to me but hundreds of millions of Americans live like that.

If you want to comprehend shooting 10k a year, get a target rich environment such as a couple of 40 acre ponds full of turtles or a lot of prairie dogs. Prairie dog guys made me look like nothing. They would bang 10K shots in a week.

Stuff you hear on the web is often BS, If I had said I shot 10K and NEVER MISSED....uhhhh at what range sir?

Longrange I appreciate you skepticism AND not openly flipping a gasket like some of your close neighbors, but since proving or disproving how much I shot one year is 100% IMPOSSIBLE either way, I usually look at the meat of the recommendations or advice given and decide if the poster is full of crap or not. I am pretty sure that my post and opinion on the subject will be quite accurate and great advice for someone looking to get into ELR shooting.

toddcdozer
01-13-2017, 01:33 PM
If good data on the subject is still needed look at the equipment list for the King of 2 Mile shoot. Everyone there was shooting a reticle + dialing + a base. Very hard not to use all 3 and play at ELR. Good luck to the OP.

LongRange
01-13-2017, 02:33 PM
gottcha...i miss understood...and as i said im not saying you didnt or dont...i know ppl(or have talked to ppl)that have never seen a real gun in their life so anything is possible but i do know what it takes to work 10-12 hours 5-6 days a week re-load and shoot 6000 rounds a year as well as the costs involved.

again im not calling anyone a liar im just saying i shoot a lot myself and its a part time job and more so if your shoot long distances and do it accurately.

toddcdozer
01-13-2017, 04:57 PM
gottcha...i miss understood...and as i said im not saying you didnt or dont...i know ppl(or have talked to ppl)that have never seen a real gun in their life so anything is possible but i do know what it takes to work 10-12 hours 5-6 days a week re-load and shoot 6000 rounds a year as well as the costs involved.

again im not calling anyone a liar im just saying i shoot a lot myself and its a part time job and more so if your shoot long distances and do it accurately.
I have dealt with the time issue in two different ways.
Be self employed and work it into your day to day activities or even make it part of a business like I did (Write offs are nice)
OR
Work 9 months a yr and hunt/shoot 3.
I've done it both ways and am currently sitting on my butt after working 3 yrs straight. About time to hit it again as the bank acct is getting kinda thin.
Its easy to have money OR time. Its a lot harder to have BOTH.

XL105
01-13-2017, 05:32 PM