PDA

View Full Version : What scope for $1500 to $2000

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

LongRange
01-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob01
01-09-2017, 12:36 PM
Even my 30-06 only requires 27" to get it to 1000 yards with the 165 grain bullet I use at 3100 fps out of my Sako Finnbear. It goes subsonic at about 1250 yards 1250 yards requires 41" of coarse these figures are based on published ballistics not actual range results.
The rifle I will set the scope up on is a 6.5 Creedmore which is much flatter shooting.

If you can shoot the 147 ELD-Ms and get them as fast as I am shooting them in my Creedmoor, 2825fps, then it will be 61.25 MOA to get you to 1600 yards at 60 degrees and sea level. It's 38.5 at 1250. Shooting the 140s at 2850fps you will need 69.3 MOA to 1600 and would be 41.8 MOA at 1250.

yobuck
01-09-2017, 01:01 PM
Well the OP sure has his work cut out for him dosen't he? lol
Building the gun was the easy part, choosing the proper scope is obviously more difficult.

What is ELR?
Is it as far as you can shoot? Or is it as far as you can accurately shoot?
We hear lots of talk about shooting a mile. But there are never any pics of groups shot at a mile here are there?
Id be willing to place a 4' square target at a mile where I shoot/hunt, and feel safe betting $100 a shot against hitting it on most days with most shooters.
And on some days with any shooter. I might not win every shot, but id win on far more than id lose.
Especially with cartridges of caliber 30 and smaller.
For over 25 years I used a custom actioned 30x378 with a 36" 1.350 barrel.
We use a specific rock ledge to shoot at across a deep valley with a very large stream for testing guns.
A small rock aiming point on top of the ledge is 1480 yards regardless of what rangefinder is used. If the wind is blowing hard we don't even bother shooting there. But on good days, it would take about 145 1/4 minit clicks on the scope to hit the target rock. Some days even 150 clicks.
That was with a 200 gr SMK @ 3500 FPS. Now for the serious BC followers, a 220 SMK took even more clicks, and a 240 SMK was even worse.
Proving, that velocity will in fact trump BC to some point. At 1700 yds, which of coarse is less than a mile, it took 200 clicks for the 200 SMK.
And by that time the others were within roughly the same range of clicks. Mind you now, that is with a 3500 FPS gun, not a 3000 fps gun or even less.
Beyond all that, accuracy from shot to shot could be considered poor, as for shooting at a live target the majority of the time.
Which probably explains why in over 45 years I don't personaly know anyone who has made a 1 mile kill in PA.
And for sure some have been trying.
Id say enjoy the gun for what it is, because no scope will make any of them what it isn't.

XL105
01-09-2017, 01:16 PM
Yobuck is a f in tard

XL105
01-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Yobuck is a f in tard

yobuck
01-09-2017, 02:55 PM
I'm going to start another thread for mile ranges. Please reply to it if you know of any

Well 1 mile ranges especially in the east would be a very rare thing. Fact is I haven't ever heard of one.
1000 YDS yes, there are some, including 3 within about 75 miles of our camp.
I can shoot to 2 miles from the front yard, and about any distance under that if the leaves are off the trees.
I have a friend who owns a reclaimed strip mine and currently has steel targets starting at 800 and going to a mile.
He could and will ultimately have them to 2000. He also has shooting shacks built on the property, allowing for shooting/hunting in poor weather.
I'm going to flat out tell you the opinions you have are wrong. And that will affect the goals you've set for yourself.
I don't think you have an experience issue. If you had the opportunity to shoot, you would recognize that very quickly.
You will not be shooting accurately, consistently, at the distances you desire with anything less than a 338.
And preferably one that will send a 300 gr bullet at 3000 fps, and more is even better.
And that means BY BY to a Savage action, at least for sane people.
Those aren't my rules by the way, they are simply the rules.
I would be glad to host a group at our place for a fun weekend of rock shooting.

XL105
01-09-2017, 03:08 PM
Yobuck is a f in tard

yobuck
01-09-2017, 07:31 PM
Well no matter what I look forward to trying. I like to hear others thoughts and opinions. Can't learn if you can't listen. But doesn't mean I won't try. In the end one of two things will happen. Either I achieve my goal with my 300WM or I will achieve it with my (future) 338 Lapua. It's a win win yobuck!

You will have a very good cartridge with the 300 Win Mag.
Enjoy shooting it, because it will be a good performer.
Note what I said about my 30x378. 145/150 clicks at 1480 yards.
200 clicks 220 yards further, which means the tank is empty.
The longer they are in the air, the more problems can develop, it's that simple.

bearcatrp
01-09-2017, 08:22 PM
I picked up a 338 LM after selling my 6.5 creedmoor for a one mile shoot some time in the future. Once I start hitting 1000 yards consistently, Then I will be trying the 1 mile shoot!

yobuck
01-10-2017, 09:58 AM
There used to be a place in Ohio that held 1 mile shoots. Not sure but I think they no longer do it.
Bruce Baer won that a couple of times with I think around a 9" group. Not sure but maybe Joel Russo did also.
Mark King and John Buhay are both very much into the extreme range shooting also. Any of those guys would be able to offer up good information.
Also, several members here have shot in VA at a facility called Bangsteel. It is in or very near Wytheville VA,
which is where I 77 and I 81 cross on a map.
They actually give long range classes there with shooting out to 1 mile.

XL105
01-10-2017, 10:23 AM

yobuck
01-10-2017, 11:59 AM
I have heard of bang steel. Not sure they get to mile. But I added it to my 1 mile range post in range topic

I believe they do or at least they did. You could PM Dr Thunder, as I recall him being one here who went there and took the coarse.
He did a complete review of his experience there on this site.

bowfishn
01-10-2017, 09:41 PM
If you can shoot the 147 ELD-Ms and get them as fast as I am shooting them in my Creedmoor, 2825fps, then it will be 61.25 MOA to get you to 1600 yards at 60 degrees and sea level. It's 38.5 at 1250. Shooting the 140s at 2850fps you will need 69.3 MOA to 1600 and would be 41.8 MOA at 1250.
You must be shooting with H4350.

LoneWolf
01-10-2017, 10:04 PM
I have heard of bang steel. Not sure they get to mile. But I added it to my 1 mile range post in range topic

I know the Newberry's personally. The son Forest shoots matches with me in VA. They still go to a mile.

toddcdozer
01-12-2017, 09:58 PM
1760 is a nice place to play. Much further and you have to start using the letters CT all the time.
When I lived out west I probably shot 10k a yr at LR or ELR whatever you want to call it. Now only once a month and maybe 1k a year count.
The only convenient way to play at those distances is with a scope that has a decent amount of adjustment AND a long range reticle having at least 30 MOA of hashes to play with. You can dial all the way to a mile but the tracking and hassle of it all are too much for me. Also makes it slow. With 30 MOA on the reticle you can engage from 1k to 1 mile from a 1K dial. Slam the dial back to 100 yd zero and engage from muzzle to 1.2k.
Most of my shooting was with a NF and NP-R2 or R1 from a 3x15 to a 5.5x22. Also did some work with 6x24 and 8x32 but most of the time mirage will murder you long before you need more mag at 1 mile or even clarity for that matter. At 1 mile mirage is the killer, I can figure wind and on the plains its usually reasonably consistent unless you are in canyon land. Mirage however will kill any glass if you are trying to shoot a 8" turtle off of a log.
If you try to dial shoot stuff at these extended ranges, you will find that corrections take TOO LONG and you have to come off the rifle etc. With a hashed or Christmas tree reticle I can have 2 in the air at the same time. If the wind call is scary, and you are thinking 8 MOA left, great run one at 7.75 and send another at 8.25 while the first one is getting there.
Yeah you can dial on a static piece of steel but even then the ability to instantly correct is so important. A gust or lull may only last a few seconds.
Any of the glass mentioned on this thread will play at 1 mile. If the conditions are right it doesn't take that much MAG or even CLARITY. That being said get all the clarity you can but at the price point mentioned everything is pretty clean.
My main requirements for a ELR scope would be 20+ magnification(Done it with a 15 though), Clarity and a 30 MOA reticle minimum, preferably a Christmas tree. (If a tree clutters a scope up and you cant deal with that....how are you gonna deal with a 29 air temp with a 67 surface temp, different powder temp, spindrift, Coriolis, gusting wind, 10 FPS ES, a brown target in brown grass, and 19 other things?)

Hitting out to 800 or so is one thing, 1200 another and 1760 another. That being said look how well a 338 Edge did at the King of 2 mile this year.

Best of luck to the OP, a 300WM and a 215 or 230 can play out there. Burn 4 or 5 barrels off of it and it'll get easier.

LongRange
01-12-2017, 10:27 PM
10k a year? You must not of had a job or anything else going on in your life because it equals out to about 27-28 rounds a day or right at 192 rounds per week or approximately 5.5 barrels per year if you were shooting magnums...I take that back...you had to of had a job,a huge sponsor or semi rich.

toddcdozer
01-12-2017, 11:18 PM
10k a year? You must not of had a job or anything else going on in your life because it equals out to about 27-28 rounds a day or right at 192 rounds per week or approximately 5.5 barrels per year if you were shooting magnums...I take that back...you had to of had a job,a huge sponsor or semi rich.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOwned a car lot, motel and a guide business and some other stuff. Yeah I shot a lot. Kinda easy to do when you have 2 miles behind your house to bang away and 1500 yds behind work to bang away. I smoked about 5 to 10 barrels a yr. Brass was a lot cheaper then as was powder. 300gr SMKs were actually more than now. I had loading stuff at my car lot and at home so I loaded quite a bit. I did get a good deal on stuff as I bought a lot of stuff, spend $10k+ a yr and that will happen, I wrote it off mostly as cost on guiding ops. Lots of guys in that area shoot like that. When everywhere is a rifle range and there is absolutely NOTHING TO DO....well its generally cheaper to shoot than screw or drink.
Kind of strange to me that its that uncommon to run 10k a yr. That's nothing compared to a CA or IPSC or SRBR guy. Nowadays PRS guy surely run heavier than that, lots of guys shot more than me. I knew guys who blew close to 10k a WEEK on PDs. Heck I still bang at least 100 a month, probably closer to 200 really.
With the oilfield crash I had to get a real job and move back to civilization, it sucks.

Phranque
01-12-2017, 11:18 PM

10K a year is a decent amount, but not really that much for someone who practices/shoots competition. When I was younger, I was on a college small bore team, and we shot a minimum of 100 rounds a day, 6 days a week. That equates out to over 30k rounds a year, maybe a hare less with holidays... those of us who lived close to campus continued practice through summer break.

toddcdozer
01-12-2017, 11:21 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkLOL I have burned 6-284 barrels to the ground in less than a week on turtles.

toddcdozer
01-12-2017, 11:23 PM
10K a year is a decent amount, but not really that much for someone who practices/shoots competition. When I was younger, I was on a college small bore team, and we shot a minimum of 100 rounds a day, 6 days a week. That equates out to over 30k rounds a year, maybe a hare less with holidays... those of us who lived close to campus continued practice through summer break.Its real easy to do especially if you can write it off as a business expense. I had days on turtles I would bang maybe 500+ a day and I shot rocks every day, every where.