PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a caliber

Pages : [1] 2 3

wicat3
12-28-2016, 12:11 AM
Hey everyone. I'm looking at getting a new hunting rifle for deer. I have narrowed my list down to three rifles but I can't decide what caliber I want to go with. The rifle I will choose will have a 22" barrel or shorter. I live in upstate NY near the Canadian border and hunt deer.

The three rifles I am looking at are:
- Howa 1500
- Ruger American
- Savage 11 Trophy Hunter

The calibers I have considered are; 6.5 creedmore, 7mm-08, 308, 270 and 243.

I am looking for something with light recoil but has enough power to knock down a deer. I have a rifle in 270 already. From what research I've done the 7mm-08 has less recoil compared to the 270 and 308. The 243 has the least recoil but can lack the power to take down a deer. From my reading it seemed that the 6.5 is the best choice packing a punch and light recoil compared to the 270,7mm-08, and 308. The only issue with the 6.5 is ammo availability. I would like a caliber that I can pick up anywhere and not have issues finding it. If I want to run some rounds down range during the off season I want to be able to buy ammo without having to buy some off brand because it's the only box left on the shelf.

foxx
12-28-2016, 12:29 AM
Trophy hunter 6.5 Creedmoor.

Decent scope, flat shooting, 120 grain Nosler ballistic tip bullets will knock down any deer with absolute authority from 0-400 yards. Almost no recoil, a tad more than .243 and more/better knockdown power. Personally, I prefer the .260, but same difference.

The Ruger American is not even close to the same league.

big honkin jeep
12-28-2016, 12:50 AM
Too much bad or outdated internet info is not good for the brain. After owning and shooting both the 7-08 and ..308 side by side i can tell you there isn't a hill of beans worth of difference on the shoulder in recoil when similar bullets are used. I don't think anyone blindfolded could tell a difference either, but they would have a 50% chance of guessing correctly.
The places you will notice a difference is at the store where 7-08 is more expensive by about $10 a box for the same factory stuff at wal mart, and in ammo availability where 7-08 is harder to find. .308 is everywhere and deer beg to be shot with a .30 caliber. It does the job with authority. It also comes in a dizzying array of available bullets and weights making it one of the most versatile cartridges on the planet. There is also reduced recoil ammunition available from Remington called "managed recoil" in both .308 and .270 with no more recoil than a standard .243. It can be a little tricky to find on the shelf and sells quickly but is usually available at several online retailers with a quick google search. It doesn't sound like hand loading is your thing but I hand load reduced .308 using H4895 and light bullets using published Hodgdon data for the grandkids, nieces, nephews and cousins. 7-9 year olds never flinch with these and always want to shoot till they're gone :)
You might try a box of remington reduced recoil in your .270 and see if the love comes back. But if you just want an excuse for a new gun, then have at it.

wicat3
12-28-2016, 09:25 AM
I have read about the 7mm-08 and 308 being very similar and not that big of difference in recoil. I like my 270 but it's time to upgrade to a better rifle and it never hurts to have two rifles. I have noticed the 6.5 and a few other calibers are cheaper to purchase then some of the other calibers by 20 or so dollars.

JASmith
12-28-2016, 09:51 AM
The .243 Win and 6.5 Grendel would both work very well in your area. Both have about the same recoil but the Grendel launches heavier bullets more suitable for the very largest of Northern Deer.

The folks on the Grendel forum are running a survey that shows impressive game-harvesting ability by this small cartridge. There is a neat summary chart that gets periodically updated based on new posts: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?10955-Grendel-quot-knock-down-quot-survey.&p=144490&viewfull=1#post144490

There is also a set of reloading manuals addressing much of the hunting potentisl for the cartridge.

wicat3
12-28-2016, 02:40 PM
I stopped at my local big box store that Carries ammo. After looking at the selection of ammo I've narrowed it down to 7mm-08 or 308. They had no 6.5 so that helped me eliminate that round. 7mm-08 they had enough to feel comfortable buying a rifle in that caliber and price compared to the 308 was reasonable. Now just to try and get my hands on a savage 11 or 10 and the ruger to see if one feels better then the other.

foxx
12-28-2016, 05:27 PM
Hmm... There is no doubt you will always be able to find .308 ammo. The question is, will you always be able to find the right ammo? In all likelihood there will be one brand/type of factory ammo that your rifle likes better than the others. Whether that particular box of ammo will be available when you need it is another issue altogether. My advice would be to buy the rifle in the chambering you like, and, once you find the ammo you like, buy several boxes so you don't have to worry about it.

wicat3
12-28-2016, 09:28 PM
I agree with what you are saying but I want to make sure that I can at least get a box of ammo for the rifle. I bought a rifle a while back and no one carried the ammo so I sold the rifle. I had found the ammo later on to find out it was about 50 dollars for a box of ammo. As I found out today as much as I would like the 6.5 creedmore but that's not a viable option as no one around here sells that caliber and ny has a strick laws about ordering ammo.

bc160
12-28-2016, 09:32 PM
I disagree with some of the responses here. I for one can definitely tell the difference in recoil between the 308 and 7mm-08. I have both, shoot both, and both of them are more than capable of your required task. If I was to pick one based on recoil alone it would definitely be the 7mm-08.

wicat3
12-28-2016, 10:02 PM
I disagree with some of the responses here. I for one can definitely tell the difference in recoil between the 308 and 7mm-08. I have both, shoot both, and both of them are more than capable of your required task. If I was to pick one based on recoil alone it would definitely be the 7mm-08.

If you were not just basing on recoil alone would 7mm-08 still be your choice?

bc160
12-28-2016, 10:31 PM
The simple answer is yes. So far it kills just as well as the 308 on deer. I reload so buying factory ammo is not a concern. With that said if I was looking for something I could buy ammo for almost anywhere it would be the 308.
Hows that for not really answer your question?��

wicat3
12-28-2016, 10:57 PM
That did answer my question. I was leaning towards the 7mm-08 but was worried about ammo availabity and that should not be an issue. Some of the rifles also are cheaper based on the caliber which is a plus lol. I have wanted to get into reloading but never have room or knowledge to do so.

foxx
12-28-2016, 11:05 PM
I don't know where you are getting prices from, but Savage does charge dealers and distributors any more for one chamberring than another. Perhaps a retailer might based upon supply and demand or perceived popularity, but for the most part, one is not more expensive than another.

bc160
12-29-2016, 12:09 AM
Either one of those calibers will serve you very well. My 7mm08 is generally my go to rifle when I chase deer. The difference in pricing in calibers is different as Foxx mentioned. I havent seen that around my neck of the woods

Phranque
12-29-2016, 12:20 AM
Either one of those calibers will serve you very well.

Agreed... I now have both (just finished a 7-08 build), and you would be very well served with either. Hate to throw a different opinion into the works, but... Personally, for hunting, I'd probably recommend the 308 if you're down to those 2 calibers. 308 ammo tends to have a wider variety of offerings, and the 7mm really doesn't begin to present it's b/c advantages until you get out beyond 400yds or so. And it's highly unlikely you're going to be making a kill shot out at those distances.
And, as far as recoil... you're really not going to notice much difference between the 2 unless you're sitting down at the bench for a 100+ round shoot.

mattri
12-29-2016, 04:57 PM
I'd definitely go .308 especially if you don't currently reload.

As you know every rifle is different, not all shoot a particular ammo, bullet weight etc as well as others.

Yes there is some factory loaded ammo out there in 7mm-08 but nowhere near the variety as for .308. Finding loaded ammo a 7mm-08 shoots accurately and is suitable for your type of hunting will be much more difficult, time consuming and expensive than it will be with a .308.

Also, if you do decide to get into reloading the .308 is a great place to start. It is accurate, there is tons of load data available and it is fairly forgiving.

What are the ranges you usually hunt at?

wicat3
12-29-2016, 10:54 PM
I usually hunt 1-300 yards. I'm going to go with savage. Do they make the model 10 in a hunter package and is it better than the model 11?

foxx
12-29-2016, 11:19 PM
I don't think there is a better package than that. The stock is just fine for 1-300 yards and the scope is good enough, too. Inexpensive detachable mag. If you never upgrade, it will be all you ever need. If you choose to upgrade stock, scope etc. later on, it is fun and easy to do, but not necessary. Only thing different I would recommend is replacing base and rings right away.

wicat3
12-30-2016, 08:01 AM
That is what I've come up with as well. It has the scope I was looking into as a possible choice when I purchase a rifle. I can upgrade things as I go. What recommendations on scope rings and base would you recommend?

Haiku_Rodney
12-30-2016, 04:07 PM
I vote for the 7mm-08. I have had great success with the 140 gr remington cor-lokts. Accuracy wasn't great, but out to 200 yards never had one get away. I got the 7-08 because I am recoil sensitive and find the recoil mild. The 140 gr in 7mm-08 has a slightly better sectional density than a 150 gr 308 bullet .248 vs. .226 which theoretically would give you a little better penetration.