PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a caliber

Pages : 1 [2] 3

foxx
12-30-2016, 11:30 PM
That is what I've come up with as well. It has the scope I was looking into as a possible choice when I purchase a rifle. I can upgrade things as I go. What recommendations on scope rings and base would you recommend?

I like DNZ Game Reaper one peice mount/ring como. Light, strong, idiot-proof mounting.

earl39
12-31-2016, 01:32 PM
I have wanted to get into reloading but never have room or knowledge to do so.

Room is something you make and knowledge is something you learn not something you are born with. You just have to have the want to in order to make room and learn.

wicat3
12-31-2016, 06:35 PM
Room is something you make and knowledge is something you learn not something you are born with. You just have to have the want to in order to make room and learn.

I agree but as the old saying goes when you have the room you never have the time and vice versa. I had a shotgun press, really cheap. I had a book that I read on reloading shotshell and wanted the press but once getting it I was so confused on what I needed for materials and how to set up the press with all the extra pieces I ended up returning it and life got in the way.

mattri
12-31-2016, 08:10 PM
That's 100% valid and if that is where you're at the .308 is for you.

Find a bullet/ammo combo that works for you, not a lot of recoil but lethal to the ranges you hunt, accurate in your rifle.

wicat3
12-31-2016, 10:37 PM
Now to figure out model 10 or 11 lol

foxx
12-31-2016, 11:28 PM
What 10 and what 11 are you considerring?

In and of itself, "Model 10" and "Model 11" in .308 are not distinguishable.

bc160
12-31-2016, 11:55 PM
The model 10 is a great gun. Another option would be the axis. I have a factory 22-250 that shoots pretty well in stock configuration. I also have an axis that has aftermarket most everything in 6.5 creed and it shoots incredibly well

wicat3
01-01-2017, 07:52 AM
I have an axis and if I go with the savage it's going to be a 10 or 11. I've found a lot of trophy hunter xp for both 10 and 11. I saw a used 110e for a great price with a scope,Simmons I believe. I have been told the 10 is older model and more sportster. Where as the 11 is the newer updated version of the 10 with a magazine and not a hinged floor plate, the 11 has the accutriger but not the 10.

foxx
01-01-2017, 10:50 AM
^^^^Well, you might find a Model 10 or 11 or 12 with any of those features, or not. Ignore "10", "11", "12" designations and just know they are considered short actions.

For example, Cabela's Savage 10T has all metal detachable box mag...
Model 11 Hog Hunter is blind mag, Model 11 Trophy Hunter is dbm

Model 12 LRP has detachable Mag...
Model 12FV does not.

All of the above have Accutrigger.

Not trying to confound you, or "show you up", just explain that there's almost no rhyme or reason to the Model 10/11/12 designation. Keep that in mind when researching your options.

wicat3
01-01-2017, 04:23 PM
I have noticed that because some will say yes the numbers mean this and others say that they mean something else or have no meaning at all. Is a laminate or wood stock better over the plastic stock? It appears the stock is a big downfall so I was wondering if there was a good stock option available to get more out of the rifle. Im sure the stock wont make that much of a big deal when it come to shooting but if I can get a deal on a better stocked rifle then the plastic stock for the same price I would like to do that, even if it means a used rifle over a new package

foxx
01-01-2017, 06:15 PM
Right, The numbers mean, essentially, nothing. Laminate or wood is better than plastic, but, unless you use a bipod or rest the rifle only on its most forward part of the forearm, it does not matter that it is flexible and "cheap". Inside of 300 yards it will be just as accurate, in practical, large game hunting situations as a wood stock. A wood stock will feel better in your hands and absorb more recoil, but that does not mean it (the plastic factory stock) is, in any discernable way, "bad". If it were me, and budget was an issue, I would rather spend money on a better scope than a better stock in your situation. Boyds, however, does offer decent, low cost stocks that can make the rifle shoot better and more fun to shoot. There is a cost, though, so there is no way to get a wood stock for the same price as cheap plastic stock, even if you go used. In fact, I believe most used Savages are over priced when you compare the features and benefits of the newer models available today for pretty low price, such as Trophy Hunter XP models available online for a few dollars above "dealer pricing" offered to small time dealers by their distributors. Or the Mode 12 fv and 10t available thru Cabela's.

Evlshnngns
01-03-2017, 02:58 PM
.243 works well on deer, ammo is EVERYWHERE, less recoil, less overlap on your 270's capabilities.

toddcdozer
01-03-2017, 03:36 PM
Right, The numbers mean, essentially, nothing. Laminate or wood is better than plastic, but, unless you use a bipod or rest the rifle only on its most forward part of the forearm, it does not matter that it is flexible and "cheap". Inside of 300 yards it will be just as accurate, in practical, large game hunting situations as a wood stock. A wood stock will feel better in your hands and absorb more recoil, but that does not mean it (the plastic factory stock) is, in any discernable way, "bad". If it were me, and budget was an issue, I would rather spend money on a better scope than a better stock in your situation. Boyds, however, does offer decent, low cost stocks that can make the rifle shoot better and more fun to shoot. There is a cost, though, so there is no way to get a wood stock for the same price as cheap plastic stock, even if you go used. In fact, I believe most used Savages are over priced when you compare the features and benefits of the newer models available today for pretty low price, such as Trophy Hunter XP models available online for a few dollars above "dealer pricing" offered to small time dealers by their distributors. Or the Mode 12 fv and 10t available thru Cabela's.
The 10T and 12FV Cabelas models are a ton of gun for the $$$. The FV barrel twists SUCK except in 308 but other than that they are a lot of value.

wicat3
01-03-2017, 05:55 PM
I keep seeing a lot of 110e models. I also see a lot of good used in 30-06. I couldn't find what the E stands for, anyone know what it means?

mbohuntr
01-09-2017, 09:18 AM
I own the 10 fcp in .308 and can tell you that it is way more accurate than I am capable of. Had a 110 270 and hated it, got tired of a flinch, and a hot barrel. The .308 kicks much less, but that is because of the weight.
I'm not young anymore, and won't be climbing the hills like I used to, so a heavy rifle that can reach out there at the range and sits in a stand works well for me.
My first run of ammo through it was under 1/2 Moa with factory 150 gr. Interlocks. Luck had a part of it, but can that rifle shoot!

schott
01-09-2017, 01:09 PM
go with the 6.5 creedmoor the 7mm-08 is great but the 6.5 kicks less I'm a lefty so I bought a savage model 11 trophy hunter in 6.5 its very accurate with cheap hornady American whitetail ammo. and no kick at all ammo will become easier to find since every gun manufacturer is making a gun in that caliber. I think the howa is alittle better built especially the stock I would have bought one but they don't make a left handed rifle take a look at weatherby vanguard synthetic if you want to be able to get ammo at Walmart get a 243 or 308 but if you want a great caliber with lite recoil get the 6.5

wicat3
01-10-2017, 01:41 AM
I can't get 6.5 creedmore ammo so that's not an option I am looking at 308's and leaning towards that over a 270 but also strongly considering a 30-06 because the used market has a lot of good priced rifles

Pajasonc
01-19-2017, 09:12 PM
Too much bad or outdated internet info is not good for the brain. After owning and shooting both the 7-08 and ..308 side by side i can tell you there isn't a hill of beans worth of difference on the shoulder in recoil when similar bullets are used. I don't think anyone blindfolded could tell a difference either, but they would have a 50% chance of guessing correctly.
The places you will notice a difference is at the store where 7-08 is more expensive by about $10 a box for the same factory stuff at wal mart, and in ammo availability where 7-08 is harder to find. .308 is everywhere and deer beg to be shot with a .30 caliber. It does the job with authority. It also comes in a dizzying array of available bullets and weights making it one of the most versatile cartridges on the planet. There is also reduced recoil ammunition available from Remington called "managed recoil" in both .308 and .270 with no more recoil than a standard .243. It can be a little tricky to find on the shelf and sells quickly but is usually available at several online retailers with a quick google search. It doesn't sound like hand loading is your thing but I hand load reduced .308 using H4895 and light bullets using published Hodgdon data for the grandkids, nieces, nephews and cousins. 7-9 year olds never flinch with these and always want to shoot till they're gone :)
You might try a box of remington reduced recoil in your .270 and see if the love comes back. But if you just want an excuse for a new gun, then have at it.

This has been my experience as well. Had a 7mm08 with 140 grain bullets recoil was not noticeably different than 150 grain 308. Ammo was 30 instead of 20 and you were normally limited to 1 maybe 2 choices(no one in central pa stocks anything but 140 grain 7mm08) 308 was everywhere cheaper and available in many offerings. Traded the 7mm08 even though it shot well. 260 remington/6.5 creedmor is a really good cartridge its gaining some traction but your not likely going to find it at walmart. 243 is available pretty much everywhere for same price as 308 and its a decent white tail cartridge if you use premium bullets.

Pajasonc
01-19-2017, 09:23 PM
Personally like the 16 series with the stainless best. For bad weather its nice to have and a wood stock can have trouble with lots of water.

wicat3
01-20-2017, 10:50 PM
308 seems to be the way i go new. possibly 30-06 used but we will see