PDA

View Full Version : Comparison of the ballistic superiority of 6.5 CM

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Rob01
07-29-2016, 09:37 AM
Vortex can do reticle swaps of you wanted. Just need to talk to them.

doctnj
07-29-2016, 10:34 AM
REALLY? I think I asked that at one time and they said they couldnt. It might have been because they were all spoken for at the time I dont know but I will certainly ask again. Like today!!

Rob01
07-29-2016, 11:01 AM
Last I heard. Call and check though.

doctnj
07-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Nope they wont do it. They again said they dont have enough ebr2c reticles to go around.

Rob01
07-29-2016, 11:25 AM
That's too bad but you have the other option of selling that scope, once you make sure it's working or after getting it fixed, and then buy one with the 2C. Reticle swaps at most scope makers are usually a couple hundred bucks anyways so it would all come out pretty close in cost. Just another option of you really wanted the 2C.

doctnj
07-29-2016, 12:18 PM
Well for the time being the ebr1 is sitting on my savage CM that is on the back burner right now as I have to start a whole new load work up with that rifle. So neither is seeing much use at the moment. I originally had the 1 on my daughter's rifle but now that she is really starting to shoot pretty far, the solid cross hairs obstruct the view of smaller targets. Of course this puts her on more of a level playing field with her mother and I. Got to get used to her winning our weekend challenge shoots.

doctnj
07-29-2016, 03:05 PM
It looks like Im not going to get to go shoot till noon tomorrow. See when the rain breaks.

What BC g7 is everyone using for berger 140 hybrid? Im currently using .311

LongRange
07-29-2016, 03:40 PM
litz says .317

and go shoot in the rain...your not that sweet

doctnj
07-29-2016, 04:11 PM
since he helped design the bullet I suppose Ill take his word for it.

doctnj
07-30-2016, 02:25 PM
It was a pretty fast trip. Will have to go back tomorrow to re check. I found that her scope was 1.0 mil high at 100 yrds. I cant figure how that happened. It was no where that far off ever. The big thing that changed since last trip was I pulled that cap off the front end that was jammed between the for end and sun shade. One of the guys I spoke to at Vortex stated that he had one that fit almost the same way but didnt sound quite as tight. He said that it could be pushing up on the front of the scope. I would expect it to be low after I took it off?
Either way, I played a card out of the dumb pile and forgot my allen wrench set. I couldnt get her scope down to zero because I had shimmed it for zero stop. I measured on the target made adjustment and went ahead with the tall target test starting at 2nd hash mark. It seemed to track pretty good although out to one side of the line. We made a .3 mil correction in horizontal and I put 3 bullets through the same hole at 1 mil above the aim dot. I did a limited box test and that seemed ok as well. I only have about a half box of bullets left. So I need to make every shot count. So stopped there for today and came home and jumped the zeros and head back out and re check tomorrow.

So my questions are:
1. What caused the zero to become off so badly.
2. What do you suppose the results of having the cap forcing the front of the scope "up" would do to zero or in other words
what would you expect the results of removing it would have on the poi?

Rob01
07-30-2016, 02:34 PM
If it was bent up then it would make sense that the POI would be high if the tension was taken off. A 20 MOA base cants the scope down so that you dial down POI to give you more up elevation. So if your scope was up and you took it off then you would have a POI that was higher and need to dial down to adjust.

Some advice for the future, never have anything jamming the objective. Be able to see light between it and the barrel/rail etc.

Also put an allen in your stock pack so there is always one with the rifle. I have a couple in each of mine.

LongRange
07-30-2016, 02:40 PM
how many rounds through the barrel when you zeroed the rifle?

doctnj
07-30-2016, 03:21 PM
Today or originally?

Rob01
07-30-2016, 03:33 PM
Round count isn't going to move the POI a mil at 100 yards.

doctnj
07-30-2016, 03:49 PM
I should say I NORMALLY have a full set of Allens in my range bag but I took them out. I had a pile of loose ones that every scope and aftermarket doodad maker includes with their part but not the one I needed. Oh well I took pictures of where it needed to be to be zeroed.

doctnj
07-30-2016, 03:57 PM
I got the rifle in March and started doing a lold work up so that was easily 50 to 60. Then over the next couple hundred there was some half mil adjustmeets here and there. But the scope cap was on almost from day one.
Then I started noticing a growing difference in adjustment for long shots. Culminating in last week being off by quite a bit at 210. But 8 also noticed the cap was cranked over to one side as per earlier pic. It's off now

Rob01
07-30-2016, 04:09 PM
You shouldn't have to be adjusting zero a half mil over a couple hundred rounds. Did you have the allens tightened enough or were they slipping a slight amount when the knob was turned? Also with the zero stop spacers did you crank the knob down on them everytime you return to zero or was it set below the zero mark? Have heard of them causing issues with the knobs at times if the knob is cranked down on them.

As for the allens, use it as a learning experience. Have one with the rifle ;) I learned the lesson long ago. I carry allens in my bag as well but I also have them in my stock pack.

doctnj
07-30-2016, 04:25 PM
Lesson learned. As far as adjustments go. Half mil would be on high side. Like today, I had to bring mine down .2 and right .2 to punch out the center of the target. Some of that could be different day different conditions and different grip etc. It's like when it just seems to be favoring the right side of the target.

That type of correction more than likely didnt really need to be made unless it persisted on a couple trips. But here is also the thing. You guys with razors dont have to go through this. On the pst you have to loosen 3 allen screws, move to zero and re tighten. For me anyhow its seems a bit tricky to get that done without bumping it a little. I have to have complete concentration to be sure I didnt accidentally move anything before I tighten them back down.

And no on the shims. They are set up so that there is a mil or so of space below the actual zero. No on T's for the day tomorrow there will only be about a half mil. Ill take more out at the range if I have to change anything or wait till I get back home if I change nothing at the range.

We have lots of rain in forcast all day tomorrow so will try and run out in between storms and see what happened.

doctnj
07-31-2016, 05:27 PM
Dont have time to do a full report at the moment. Just finished carving up two brisket that Im taking to pot luck tonight. Been smoking all day. Hard to carve when they keep falling apart.

I will say this. I think we got everything dialed in. Got good tall target tests done on her rifle and I did mine as well. I did discover that my cant may have been off by a 1/4 of a bubble but since my paint job I cant remove the screws very easily so I just marked a new center on the bubble and its good.
We recorded new MV averages on both rifles and weather conditions. Im going to enter all the data and see what happens to all the dope. it will be next weekend before Ill be able to verify everything. I have put my same data into at least 3 different ballistic calulators and they had all come up with the same dope. Including the all mighty and Powerful AB. So if her rifle is tracking good, at least up to 5 mils (ran out of paper). and I put in all new conditions etc and her dope still doesnt resemble what she has to put in. I will pull my hair out. lol.

I may, may do as LR suggests and wipe the creedmoor out of the calculator all together and start over but if it gives me the same as everyone else I wont know where to go from there. we will see.

LongRange
07-31-2016, 07:03 PM
The same dope as in the same dope for the 3k fps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk