PDA

View Full Version : Comparison of the ballistic superiority of 6.5 CM

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

doctnj
07-25-2016, 10:06 AM
I just plugged the info back into the software on vortex website and it calculates out. So my ballistics calculator works fine.

doctnj
07-25-2016, 11:18 AM
I talked with vortex and they said I needed to do a tracking test. They also said that the pressure from the cover could take away some of the effects of the 20 moa rail but shouldn't effect tracking.

Observation: Last night we set up on portable bench. I used the range finder to measure to what would normally be our 100 yrd target. It showed we were at 210 yrds. On my daughters rifle, she had to put her 200 yrd dope on her scope. The wife CM was almost zero at that distance. i.e. .1mil was almost too high. If I change the zero on the "measured" velocity chart to a 200 yrd zero. It matches up perfectly to the drop chart of the 3046 velocity drop chart....
what could that mean?

doctnj
07-25-2016, 11:44 AM
I have probably confused the crap out of everyone. either way ill re check zero, do tracking test and if its off send it in. They said turn around time is around time is about 10 days.

LongRange
07-25-2016, 12:55 PM
Are you sure you zeroed the scope at 100yds?

also you have your zero data...powder temp at 59deg and actual temp at 85degs

doctnj
07-25-2016, 01:43 PM
I am trying to figure out where to turn off the powder temp option. Because that can throw it all off. And Yes I am going to go through re zeroing it again as well without scope cap. Then go right into tracking test. That should about cover everything I guess. But again the vortex calculator confirmed the numbers at each MV point. It could very well have been shooting high at 100 and she could have been compensating, I dont know. I will get behind it at 100 and check everything out. This has been very perplexing to say the least. I want to run back out tonight but its date night and first night with out children since forever. So that aint happening. lol

doctnj
07-25-2016, 02:35 PM
I found where to change the powder temp. it didnt effect anything really. Not that a great extent that it would make the measured speed work. Im leaning toward a bad tracking scope or poorly zeroed.

LongRange
07-25-2016, 05:23 PM
yeah i was just pointing out that some data is incorrect...its has to be the scope outta whack or someone sand baggin LOL!!

doctnj
07-26-2016, 09:12 AM
I have everything ready to run to the range and test. I dont see it happening till Sat though. Not a good enough reason to skip the gym..

doctnj
07-26-2016, 11:29 AM
Just a side note. If you look at the pic of the 4 rifles. We ended the range time with shooting the 338 at 12" steel at 550. I dont think my 2x4 stand could or will take very many more impacts of that huge round hitting that steal. Man it almost knocked the whole thing to the ground. Just about destroyed my toy. lol. I was just amazed there wasnt even a scratch on the metal. That just blows my mind. Between T. and I we hit it 5 out of 5 times with the lapua and I am going to have to re think the stand if I am going to keep shooting that cannon at it.

upSLIDEdown
07-26-2016, 01:31 PM
this is "trued" mv and drop info. This was what was put in to make the scope adjustments work
.http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w435/doctnj/Mobile%20Uploads/20160725_071056.jpg

So you're only using 4.6 mils to get to 800 yards? My dope for 800 is around 6-6.2 mils depending on weather/altitude conditions.

My Creed runs a little slower than most at 2710fps with a 140 hybrid. 2850 is cooking in a Creed with a 140. 3000+ is impossible.

Recheck zero at 100 yards. Make SURE it's a solid zero. Tall target test will tell the story if something is wrong with the scope. I assume you've got that straight by now, if not, just a tall piece of cardboard with a dot at the bottom, and a PLUMB line going straight up. I like to fire 2-3 shot groups when doing these tests to make sure you've got a good point of reference. Shoot a couple at the bottom dot. Dial up 10 mils, and shoot a couple more, still aiming at the same bottom dot. If you want you can put a tenth or two of windage in it so you don't shoot out your point of aim.

I'm honestly more concerned with a solid zero than the tall target test. I don't see how a PST could be off by that much, but I guess it's possible. Interested to see results.

doctnj
07-26-2016, 04:09 PM
Yeah me too!! T is bummed that her scope might be defective. I am not the one who zeroed it. I let her do that since she is the one shooting it. But I will take over this Sat. I have my Tall Target test all ready to go. I made two just in case I need to re do it or want to do two to verify its right. I made a hashline every 1mil up from reference dot. 3.6 inches.

LongRange
07-26-2016, 05:49 PM
id take a box test target too...i seen a scope this year that tracked close enough with elevation but once you moved the windage it was all over the place.

and FYI...im about 4.89mils at 850yds with the 6mm CM at 3056fps.

doctnj
07-27-2016, 09:21 AM
Em's 243 I just worked up for her, at 850 is at 6.0. But it is 107 gr smk with a middle of the road light load. 39.3 gr of IMR 4350. I am graduating her up slowly to a little better flying bullet. Little by little she is not noticing the ever so slight recoil increases and doesnt have the flinch factor with the "knowledge" that its a bigger load. I think my eventual target load for that rifle will more than likely be fairly close to your dope on your 6mm if I can find one that stays together. Right now at 100 they are all touching and she hit 12" steel every shot she took last Sunday so we are staying there for a while. But dang, now I have a box and a half of light weight 70 gr. I guess Ill order a 6mm puller collet, that will be a boring evening. Pulling will save on barrel life, save powder etc, but I hate it.

Im already pulling bullets from my savage Cm because the load I had worked up before it was torn appart doesnt work at all!!!!!! If I had shot the lat 15 rounds it would have just been a total waste of materials. I can not believe the rifle is that far different from where it was from before.

doctnj
07-27-2016, 09:46 AM
I will say this about EM. She was watching us shoot the 338 and she said that she wanted to shoot it. I was like, "I dont know" she is pretty small. I told her in another year or two she could handle it, no problem. So for now she chose to wait.

LongRange
07-27-2016, 07:28 PM
Try your 6.5mm collet...you just need to run it tight.

EM will be out shooting you and mom pretty soon lol.

doctnj
07-27-2016, 07:46 PM
Now, with that said LR, we gave her an extra 15 seconds and she beat us both. She no longer gets extra time!!!

LongRange
07-27-2016, 08:53 PM
Lol...pretty soon you'll be finding ways to handy cap her so she don't spank you...smaller targets...tighter times ect...

doctnj
07-27-2016, 10:39 PM
That is too funny because we were just talking about doing that. We already took away the extra time and kept her from beating us this last sunday. We were talking about making her have to switch distances under a timer. Gotta keep her down!!! She already can switch her dope just never put a timer on her. This will be fun.

doctnj
07-29-2016, 07:34 AM
Seriously though, one more day to find out whats going on with the scope. Man I am really just hoping it just needs a better zero and that all the tracking is on the money. At least I found out that Vortex said it was only a 10 day turn around to have it fixed and back to us. I wonder if I can send an ebr 1 scope and tell them that all the other numbers fell off under recoil and could they put a new ebr2c reticle back in. :)

yobuck
07-29-2016, 09:29 AM
Seriously though, one more day to find out whats going on with the scope. Man I am really just hoping it just needs a better zero and that all the tracking is on the money. At least I found out that Vortex said it was only a 10 day turn around to have it fixed and back to us. I wonder if I can send an ebr 1 scope and tell them that all the other numbers fell off under recoil and could they put a new ebr2c reticle back in. :)

Well if it was a Leupold you could do that without fibbing about the labels. lol
But id be asking them anyway.