PDA

View Full Version : Savage Stealth available from today !

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Kingair001
05-26-2016, 07:30 PM
Just received this email from Turners Outdoor

Apparently they have the Savage Stealth Creedmoor 6.5 in stock @ 1199.00 + tax

Nice competitor for the RPR

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u484/Kingair001/Turners/Screen%20Shot%202016-05-26%20at%204.18.07%20PM_zpsihrx56xl.png (http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/Kingair001/media/Turners/Screen%20Shot%202016-05-26%20at%204.18.07%20PM_zpsihrx56xl.png.html)

SlowTrigger
05-26-2016, 10:36 PM
I bet it shoots better than the RPR. I bought one earlier this year in .308 and it was printing 1.5-2 inch groups at 100. Got tired of having it sitting in the closet so I put a new Benchmark barrel on it. That's the only mod I've made. Otherwise stock. Now I can shoot quarter inch groups with it, probaby .5 in. average at 100 yds. Big improvement. I wouldn't be surprised if the Stealth shoots lights out with the factory barrel.

Kingair001
05-26-2016, 10:39 PM
I wouldn't be surprised that the Savage shoots better but time will tell

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

FiveInADime
05-27-2016, 11:04 AM
I think the RPR blows the Stealth out of the water in the looks department. I think they will outsell the Stealth at least 10:1. But I saw Richie Rich at the range with a RPR 6.5CM/Schmidt&Bender combo shooting 4" groups at 200 yards with Hornady 140 match ammo. I would have been disappointed but he seemed thrilled.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Kingair001
05-27-2016, 11:06 AM
I think the RPR blows the Stealth out of the water in the looks department. I think they will outsell the Stealth at least 10:1. But I saw Richie Rich at the range with a RPR 6.5CM/Schmidt&Bender combo shooting 4" groups at 200 yards with Hornady 140 match ammo. I would have been disappointed but he seemed thrilled.

4" groups at 200 yards than I might cry . . .

As a rookie shooter - still a rookie shooter - my Savage 12 LRP in Creedmoor 6.5 did 0.5 MOA

Gonna mount a new scope in the next weeks

So I will try a few factory rounds to see what the stock barrel likes best now :

Hornaday A-Max & ELD Match
Prime Ammo +
Winchester Match

Kingair001
05-27-2016, 12:52 PM
Just received this email from Grab a Gun

Even a better price $ 946.87

http://grabagun.com/savage-89.html

SlowTrigger
05-27-2016, 01:43 PM

That's been my experience also watching other people shooting their RPRs at the range. Shotgun pattern groups at 100 but happy about it... WTF?? It is a cool looking rifle and I agree it beats the Stealth in the looks dept. by far, but I'd rather have an ugly looking tack driver than a really sharp looking rifle that doesn't shoot worth a ****. Not saying the Stealth is particularly ugly but it really doesn't look that great.

Kingair001
05-27-2016, 01:48 PM
The RPR looks better but probably the Stealth will shoot better

Well let's wait and see . . .

HalfTrack
05-27-2016, 04:04 PM
****, I wish I could do something like that but in NJ the adjustable stock is a Bozo NONO. It would have to be pinned and it can't have a flash hider, would have to be a compensator.
Halftrack

Kingair001
05-27-2016, 04:26 PM
****, I wish I could do something like that but in NJ the adjustable stock is a Bozo NONO. It would have to be pinned and it can't have a flash hider, would have to be a compensator.
Halftrack
So it's even worse than California . . .

psharon97
05-27-2016, 04:38 PM
The Stealth solves one of the biggest criticisms I have over the 10ba: the weight. The only advantage I see in the RPR is the greater availability of magazines. These kind of rifles, IMO, are also engineered to solve 2 different kinds of problems for consumers. The RPR, since it is marketed as a competition style rifle, fulfills that role, and as others have said, looks nicer. The Stealth, on the other hand, is designed and marketed for law enforcement. The chasis for the Stealth is a minimalist chasis for the purpose of weight savings and cost savings. There are no extra frills about this chasis and the stock they chose to add excess weight hence, doesn't look as nice. I hope, in a few years, Savage will release the Stealth for us southpaws.

Dave Hoback
05-28-2016, 07:21 PM
I would say don't look to either. I built my own, and recommend others do the same. This build looks better, and will out shoot either.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r491/davidhoback1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsp8i8e0e8.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/davidhoback1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsp8i8e0e8.jpg.html)

brfussell
05-28-2016, 07:24 PM
Dave, which action did you start with? What chassis is that?

Kingair001
05-28-2016, 09:10 PM
Dave, which action did you start with? What chassis is that?
Guess a Tac 21

Newsshooter
05-28-2016, 10:28 PM
Don't care for it, I'd rather put it in a Mcree or XLR chassis with better butt stocks.

Dave Hoback
05-29-2016, 02:16 PM
The action is from a standard model 10 short action w/ accutrigger. Yes, it is the MDT TAC21.

Yeah, that's the thing with chassis... Different opinions. I, for one, think that both the a Mcree & XLR are hideously ugly! And wouldn't be caught dead using one! And by "better" buttstock, I assume you mean "adjustable"? Because I don't know how much "better" you can get over the full billet aluminum construction of my buttstock. And when it comes to adjustable, well my intent wasn't to build an Olympic BIATHLON GUN! I built a battle oriented sniper rifle.

Digduggy
05-29-2016, 05:05 PM
Halftrack

Its a bolt action, are you sure you can't?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newsshooter
05-29-2016, 07:05 PM
The action is from a standard model 10 short action w/ accutrigger. Yes, it is the MDT TAC21.

Yeah, that's the thing with chassis... Different opinions. I, for one, think that both the a Mcree & XLR are hideously ugly! And wouldn't be caught dead using one! And by "better" buttstock, I assume you mean "adjustable"? Because I don't know how much "better" you can get over the full billet aluminum construction of my buttstock. And when it comes to adjustable, well my intent wasn't to build an Olympic BIATHLON GUN! I built a battle oriented sniper rifle.

To each his own, but I think having an adjustable cheekpiece is important, others must too or they wouldn't be so popular. While that stock might work for you it wouldn't work for me. Most snipers I've seen have adjusted their cheekpiece to get the correct alinement with their scope. Whether it is padding and tape or an adjustable piece, most have made some modifications. Also the Mcree and XLR are aluminum as well. but what would I know, I'm about to put my third barrel on my 6.5 CM. :)

SlowTrigger
05-29-2016, 09:52 PM
[QUOTE=Dave Hoback;367698]I would say don't look to either. I built my own, and recommend others do the same. This build looks better, and will out shoot either.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r491/davidhoback1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsp8i8e0e8.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/davidhoback1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsp8i8e0e8.jpg.html)[/QU

Nice rifle. What sort of groups are you getting with it?

Dave Hoback
05-30-2016, 10:54 AM
Haven't yet. Just got it put together last week. Starting on working up a load this week. I don't get a lot of range time these days. I'm disabled and can't drive myself.

Newsshooter, why are you taking a defensive position because of my reply?? I don't remember condescending your ability to replace a barrel on a Savage... I don't understand the comment "but what would I know".
In any case, I have no problem with a cheek pad. In fact, I'll be making one for my stock. I was referring to the stocks like the one on the RPR. As far as the XLR & Mcree are concerned, I apologize if what I said about them offended you, but they make for an incredibly ugly rifle! The AR15 is a very nice looking rifle. Thus, is a bolt action with that look. But, when a manufacturer makes a half AR, half competition & half alien aircraft CHASSIS, well, the result is just FUGLICIOUSLY UGLY! J/K