PDA

View Full Version : Savage Stealth available from today !

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

LoneWolf
06-07-2016, 09:31 AM
And if the terrible range reports about the RPR are true; 1-2 MOA from such a hyped of rifle is ridiculously unacceptable.

Something everyone has to remember is that the RPR is an entry level gun, so there are many entry level shooters picking them up and providing range reports. How many of those entry level shooters do you think are 1/2 MOA shooters? i don't know any that can shoot 1/2MOA without a rear bag, but that's what a lot of these guys do, then claim the rifle doesn't shoot. This isn't just the RPR, but pretty much all rifles. i've helped a lot of people at the range with simple stuff like this. They just simply don't know!

md7989
06-07-2016, 11:37 AM
Something everyone has to remember is that the RPR is an entry level gun, so there are many entry level shooters picking them up and providing range reports. How many of those entry level shooters do you think are 1/2 MOA shooters? i don't know any that can shoot 1/2MOA without a rear bag, but that's what a lot of these guys do, then claim the rifle doesn't shoot. This isn't just the RPR, but pretty much all rifles. i've helped a lot of people at the range with simple stuff like this. They just simply don't know!

Well stated indeed. Bunch of young, inexperience internet commando shooters posting "reviews" when they don't even have a grasp of the fundamentals of shooting.

Those who do have a firm grasp of the fundamentals by the throat and reload themselves, are regularly printing sub-0.5 MOA groups with factory RPRs in 6.5 CM. Again, I'm a savage guy through and through, but I do and will give credit where credit is due. The RPR is a shooter

SlowTrigger
06-07-2016, 01:25 PM
Then you've apparently been around plenty of novice shooters at your range haha, just kidding. Guys are printing 0.3-0.5 MOA groups at 100 with the RPRs using factory and handloads where I shoot. I'm a Savage guy through and through, but an RPR in 6.5 CM in the hands of a capable shooter will hang with our 0.5 MOA factory barrel Savages all day

Maybe so. Seems like the 6.5 owners have had better luck. I bought a .308 and it was shooting 2" groups with factory barrel. I was going to sell the rifle but instead decided to change the barrel. After the barrel change I can get .25 to .5 MOA from it and now I'm very happy with the RPR. And still think it looks much better than the Stealth, IMO.

Kingair001
06-07-2016, 01:30 PM
RPR looks better
Although I don't own one I read that the Creedmoor 6.5 version seems to be a more accurate than the 308

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Draftpick
06-07-2016, 08:11 PM
Its all personal opinion. Who cares what someone else thinks of how it looks. Can it shoot and can you shoot it to its fullest capabilities. Things like longevity, fit and finish, parts availability and such then come into play. I know this is a Savage forum but intellectual honesty is good thing.

I think that the RPR is a decent looking rifle. In fact my brother is ordering a 6.5CM this week. Personally, I like my 12LRP in an XLR Carbon chassis

http://bryngelson.net/misc_content/model12.jpg

I think the RPR is a solid option but I have not found any 6.5 RPR's less then $1200, and many on gunbroker are over $1300. I have been looking for them and signed up at most dealers to be alerted but they don't come in stock. At that price IMHO you are over the entry level price. I got my stealth for $899, and there's a $100 mail in rebate so my cost is $799 well $30 shipping and free transfer so $830 OTD. The RPR to me is not worth $4-500 more than the stealth. I remember when the RPR's first came out many poeple were finding them under $1k and I was on the fence and by the time the I started looking for one they were gone. I might spend an extra $200 for a RPR but not $4-500. I think the stealth will serve me well til Im ready to do upgrade past entry level.

Kingair001
06-07-2016, 08:13 PM
You got a good deal and a better rifle . . . normally !
Post some pics of grouping!

CBryars2
06-07-2016, 08:35 PM
Ordered the 6.5 Stealth, hopefully will arrive Friday. My wife has a RPR in 6.5 she shoots .59 - .39 groups regularly, I'm more in the .6 range (she is a better shot). Just learning, we went to Talladaga CMP range and shot 200 and 600 with RPR 6.5, 300 win mag and .338 Savage. On 200 she shot a 100 with 6x's (10 shots), I shot a 98 with 4x's. The RPR shoots well (like posted .308 guys seem to be hit or miss on accuracy. With the enhanced model my normal source has not been able to get many like before. Looked at the Savage and based on my .338 Savage, decided to give it a go. 960 bucks vs RPR in the 1400+ range. If it is as good as the few folks I have heard reports from, it should shoot as well as her RPR.

At 600 we found out how little we know, the wind was shifting back and forth a good bit. Learning to judge it will take a while. Shot a 91 10 shot group, was happy for first try past 200 using my 300 Win Mag Remington 700p.

BroadSide
06-07-2016, 08:57 PM
I think the RPR is a solid option but I have not found any 6.5 RPR's less then $1200, and many on gunbroker are over $1300. I have been looking for them and signed up at most dealers to be alerted but they don't come in stock. At that price IMHO you are over the entry level price. I got my stealth for $899, and there's a $100 mail in rebate so my cost is $799 well $30 shipping and free transfer so $830 OTD. The RPR to me is not worth $4-500 more than the stealth. I remember when the RPR's first came out many poeple were finding them under $1k and I was on the fence and by the time the I started looking for one they were gone. I might spend an extra $200 for a RPR but not $4-500. I think the stealth will serve me well til Im ready to do upgrade past entry level.

I think your definition of entry level is wrong with regards to this discussion. This is about precision/target rifles, not your normal type rifles with standard actions, fixed stocks, tapered barrels, etc. the 12LRP and RPR are both entry level into long range precision rifles.

LoneWolf
06-07-2016, 09:01 PM
Also whenever a new rifle comes out as of late they come in low, raise the price and ride the wave till it falls off. Then the price balances out once the popularity flattens out.

Some call this economics.... Ruger's RPR is at the top of its wave right now and the Savage Stealth will come in and do well, but still only have a small following in comparison. That's just the way the market is right now.

Kingair001
06-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Also whenever a new rifle comes out as of late they come in low, raise the price and ride the wave till it falls off. Then the price balances out once the popularity flattens out.

Some call this economics.... Ruger's RPR is at the top of its wave right now and the Savage Stealth will come in and do well, but still only have a small following in comparison. That's just the way the market is right now.
So just ride the wave . . . 😁

lavahunter
06-07-2016, 09:48 PM

Savage says the stealth is not eligible for the $100 rebate, per customer service.

bearcatrp
06-07-2016, 10:02 PM
I got my stealth for $899

Where? If I knew I could have purchased the stealth at this price, would not have purchased the 10T 6.5 creedmoor and waited. The actions on the stealths are trued, right?

Kingair001
06-07-2016, 10:13 PM
Where? If I knew I could have purchased the stealth at this price, would not have purchased the 10T 6.5 creedmoor and waited. The actions on the stealths are trued, right?
Trued is what Savage says

But I already asked what is 'trued' for Savage?

Draftpick
06-07-2016, 10:35 PM
Savage says the stealth is not eligible for the $100 rebate, per customer service.

Rebate is for 10BA rifles and it's a 10BA model. I will try it none the less.

Draftpick
06-07-2016, 10:45 PM
I think your definition of entry level is wrong with regards to this discussion. This is about precision/target rifles, not your normal type rifles with standard actions, fixed stocks, tapered barrels, etc. the 12LRP and RPR are both entry level into long range precision rifles.

If you feel the RPR is entry then so is the stealth. Just because savage did not make a new receiver or put a Ar rail on it does not mean it can't be a precision or target rifle. Compare the specs of the Ruger RPR to the Stealth and to me I see more precision work on the savage than the RPR. I dont see (per Drakes facebook page) blue printed actions, or squared bolt faces, precision ground recoil lugs, match chamber, match barrel, target crown etc.

Kingair001
06-07-2016, 10:50 PM
I dont see (per Drakes facebook page) blue printed actions, or squared bolt faces, precision ground recoil lugs, match chamber, match barrel, target crown etc.
I don't think that you can offer all that for this kind of money

A custom action is minimum 1000.00 dollars

A custom barrel 325.00 and up . . . so . . .

LoneWolf
06-08-2016, 12:48 AM
Pulled from the bang steel FB page.

Glen Christopherson put this killer group on our 12" steel plate located at 765 yards. Four shots overlapping with his Ruger Precision chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. The ammo was Hornady 140 grain ELD-M, running right at 2800 fps. Optic was the Vortex PST, 4 to 16 power, FFP in milrad configuration. THIS is truly some amazing shooting--and these Ruger Precision rifles continue to prove to us that they are quite aptly named. ;) #RugerPrecision #Hornady #VortexOptics

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160608/d2b8865246ab7ea048462d647b6d58f2.jpg

Kingair001
06-08-2016, 12:49 AM
Pulled from the bang steel FB page.

Glen Christopherson put this killer group on our 12" steel plate located at 765 yards. Four shots overlapping with his Ruger Precision chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. The ammo was Hornady 140 grain ELD-M, running right at 2800 fps. Optic was the Vortex PST, 4 to 16 power, FFP in milrad configuration. THIS is truly some amazing shooting--and these Ruger Precision rifles continue to prove to us that they are quite aptly named. ;) #RugerPrecision #Hornady #VortexOptics

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160608/d2b8865246ab7ea048462d647b6d58f2.jpg
Impressive !

lavahunter
06-08-2016, 08:29 AM
Draftpick; Let us know how you do. I tried to prequalify for the rebate online and my UPC# was rejected

Ryfulman
06-08-2016, 10:08 AM
I think the whole argument is pretty moot... RPR vs Stealth. I have shot the SSG3K, M24, 10P, 700 SPS and home built 110 300WM pretty regularly. With match ammo they all shoot 1/2-3/4 MOA. The RPR and Stealth are just two more quality bolt guns added to an already long list of recent production quality bolt guns. I wouldn't trade one of mine for either of them since I'm getting the same accuracy out of production rifles for same or less money. And if the terrible range reports about the RPR are true; 1-2 MOA from such a hyped of rifle is ridiculously unacceptable.

I agree.
Guy just bought a ruger precision. Here in Canada they aren't cheap. Starts posting targets that are about moa or so. He posts his 300 meter target and the guys are all blowing smoke up his ass on how great is groups are blah blah blah.
So of course being the miserable old monster I am I had to bring him down to earth a bit.
So I posted the 500 meter targets I had shot that day out of my inexpensive Thompson center dimension. Just over a 2" group.
Of course there wasn't a breath of wind and the barrel was really humming that Sunday too.
I work up a load to print a consistent 1/2 moa. I know what a rifle should be able to do on a consistent basis once you find the node.
I'm sure the rpr is a great gun,but I can get consistency out of my less costly factory rifles.
I'm sure the rpr is a capable firearm however the firearm is only part of the equation. If a guy shoots factory ammo and doesn't reload he costs himself a fair bit of consistency since a lot of tuning can be done reloading.
All guns made today should be able to print moa and most guarantee it. That being said the new 22-250 model 11 I picked up last month put the first 4 shots I took with it in the same hole pretty much. Not sure how much better a guy can really get.
First rifle I ever bought that would do that with factory ammo. It's a walking varminter model 11. My first savage too.