PDA

View Full Version : Savage Stealth available from today !

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

300whisper
05-30-2016, 10:55 AM
The savage stealth is an awesome looking rifle. I may get one. Do they offer it in .260???

Kingair001
05-30-2016, 11:07 AM
The savage stealth is an awesome looking rifle. I may get one. Do they offer it in .260???
I think the RPR looks way better but still I prefer the Stealth above the RPR

Just one thing I don't like and that is bothering me somewhat is the 24" barrel

Why didn't they install a 26" from the factory ?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Newsshooter
05-30-2016, 11:18 AM
I think the RPR has a better action than the Savage, and I have three LRP actions. I don't like the stealth chassis, I shoot with my thumb on top, not wrapped around the pistol grip on my bolt rifles. I don't see a good place for my thumb on the stealth.

Kingair001
05-30-2016, 11:22 AM
I think the RPR has a better action than the Savage, and I have three LRP actions. I don't like the stealth chassis, I shoot with my thumb on top, not wrapped around the pistol grip on my bolt rifles. I don't see a good place for my thumb on the stealth.
Got no clue how good or bad but I don't see myself buying a Stealth . . .

Dave Hoback
05-30-2016, 11:39 AM
The RPR definitely looks better, and being that Ruger has copied both the Ar15's easy barrel change, & the Savage Accutrigger, I believe it to be the better of the two. But the stock is hideous, and as stated, only a 24" barrel, I think it overpriced. But I think any Savage, Ar15, AK47 or 1911 I didn't build myself, is overpriced.

Pet-Rock
05-30-2016, 11:41 PM
To each his own. Personally, I like the stealth more than the RPR in the looks department. All the bells and whistles are great in the RPR, but "KISS" 😉. Can't wait to see a range report on one!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Kingair001
05-30-2016, 11:42 PM
To each his own. Personally, I like the stealth more than the RPR in the looks department. All the bells and whistles are great in the RPR, but "KISS" 😉. Can't wait to see a range report on one!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
So do I !

bearcatrp
05-31-2016, 07:13 AM
Wait for the ashberry if you don't like the stealth looks. Looks almost identical to the RPR. But the price tag I heard is around $1700. Ruger built the RPR from the ground up. Savage seems to just slap there 10 series action and barrel into a chassis system. Anyone can do that. I did it to my 10T 6.5cm with a cadex chassis. Not sure but did savage true the stealth rifles?
Dave, that rifles looks sweet. Care to give us a rundown on specs?

Dave Hoback
05-31-2016, 10:20 AM
Wait for the ashberry if you don't like the stealth looks. Looks almost identical to the RPR. But the price tag I heard is around $1700. Ruger built the RPR from the ground up. Savage seems to just slap there 10 series action and barrel into a chassis system. Anyone can do that. I did it to my 10T 6.5cm with a cadex chassis. Not sure but did savage true the stealth rifles?
Dave, that rifles looks sweet. Care to give us a rundown on specs?

Thank you sir, and sure I can. It's a Model 10 short action. Shilen 26" Varmint contour barrel with recessed target crown, in 260 Remington. PTG barrel nut and recoil lug. MDT TAC21 chassis. Firebird Precision bench rest stock. Glades Armory nitride Tactical bolt handle. American Defense AD Recon scope mount. SWFA SS 16x42 scope.

bearcatrp
05-31-2016, 06:39 PM
You did a fine job of building that sweet rifle. Congrats. Don't want to know what it cost but my guess is over 2 grand. Like the optics too. Have a SWFA SS 20x on my 6.5 for now. Came from my 50BMG I used to own. Saving the pennies for the optics I want. But the SWFA is doing fine for now. Helps with the old eyes. The ashberry is supposed to be released in the fall.

Russmerle
05-31-2016, 08:34 PM
I think the whole argument is pretty moot... RPR vs Stealth. I have shot the SSG3K, M24, 10P, 700 SPS and home built 110 300WM pretty regularly. With match ammo they all shoot 1/2-3/4 MOA. The RPR and Stealth are just two more quality bolt guns added to an already long list of recent production quality bolt guns. I wouldn't trade one of mine for either of them since I'm getting the same accuracy out of production rifles for same or less money. And if the terrible range reports about the RPR are true; 1-2 MOA from such a hyped of rifle is ridiculously unacceptable.

Kingair001
05-31-2016, 08:44 PM
I think that a nice rifle should shoot at least 0.5 MOA
If not something is wrong - for me at least - even being a rookie 😉
My Savage 12 LRP shot - 0.5 MOA out of the box
Still doing 194-6X in F-Class so that should be ok for a stock 'out of the box' rifle
I am waiting on my new scope delivery and than I will zero it again
Gonna use a few factory ammo rounds and see how it does after 600+ rounds

Dave Hoback
06-01-2016, 11:53 AM
You did a fine job of building that sweet rifle. Congrats. Don't want to know what it cost but my guess is over 2 grand. Like the optics too. Have a SWFA SS 20x on my 6.5 for now. Came from my 50BMG I used to own. Saving the pennies for the optics I want. But the SWFA is doing fine for now. Helps with the old eyes. The ashberry is supposed to be released in the fall.

Thank you friend. Really cool thing is I built it with only 1 hand Nah, not $2k. But close. Including the scope and base, I'm in it for about $1880. Figure a lot of people have much more than that in optics alone! I will say, that if you just order the same parts from the normal places, it's well over $2k. I'm incredibly patient when making purchases. I researched prices for 3 weeks, before ordering anything.

I hear ya about optics though. I have one on my wish list(I would never spend $2k on a scope though!).

bearcatrp
06-01-2016, 12:08 PM
Been on the hunt for a Burris XTR II 4-20x50 or 5-25x50 SCR MOA but all sold out. Everyone is waiting for Burris to fill orders again. Always said I would never spend more than 500 bucks until I saw the XTR. Nice scope for the money. Want this for my 6.5 creedmoor.

Russmerle
06-01-2016, 02:41 PM
I built a Savage 300WM and put her in a MDT chassis, side folding stock adapter, and some other stuff... I can second that price tag man. It claimed pretty quick! Yours is looking good however and probably worth every penny. Especially doing it yourself; it's just part of the appeal.

Thank you friend. Really cool thing is I built it with only 1 hand Nah, not $2k. But close. Including the scope and base, I'm in it for about $1880. Figure a lot of people have much more than that in optics alone! I will say, that if you just order the same parts from the normal places, it's well over $2k. I'm incredibly patient when making purchases. I researched prices for 3 weeks, before ordering anything.

I hear ya about optics though. I have one on my wish list(I would never spend $2k on a scope though!).

jamesburke
06-01-2016, 04:04 PM
I built me a savage 111 30-06 with a LLS Chassis System used a Magpul PRS Precision-Adjustable Stock also put a oversized Tactical Bolt handle did not find a 30-06 mag so had to use MTD 300wm just bent the flaps down a little toss in a trigger from Timney and Marty from Rio Salado Gunsmithing my he RIP before he passed away made a Muzzle Brake out of the barrel work great put a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42SF MBDC on the top shoots great 1/2 MOA at 300 yards with winchester silvertip 30-06 ballistic 168-grain I have about with all the other things I have on it $2000.00 or a little over.

snowgetter1
06-01-2016, 04:28 PM
I have had and still have several Savage rifles. I sold a target action set up to fund my RPR in 243. It is an awesome rifle. The highlights to me are the AR style safety, the trigger is great, the stock is very adjustable, barrel can be easily changed, and it uses cheap Magpul magazines. The action is very smooth and there is positive ejection too. Mine has shot various loads from 1/2"-1" at 100. I have not even tried any load development yet, but interesting enough the most accurate load was an old Striker load with 55gr vmax over 8208 xbr. I have not tried 105gr in it yet.

That being said I would have to be able to get the stealth very cheap to even consider it.

BroadSide
06-07-2016, 01:54 AM
Its all personal opinion. Who cares what someone else thinks of how it looks. Can it shoot and can you shoot it to its fullest capabilities. Things like longevity, fit and finish, parts availability and such then come into play. I know this is a Savage forum but intellectual honesty is good thing.

I think that the RPR is a decent looking rifle. In fact my brother is ordering a 6.5CM this week. Personally, I like my 12LRP in an XLR Carbon chassis

http://bryngelson.net/misc_content/model12.jpg

md7989
06-07-2016, 07:20 AM
That's been my experience also watching other people shooting their RPRs at the range. Shotgun pattern groups at 100 but happy about it... WTF?? It is a cool looking rifle and I agree it beats the Stealth in the looks dept. by far, but I'd rather have an ugly looking tack driver than a really sharp looking rifle that doesn't shoot worth a ****. Not saying the Stealth is particularly ugly but it really doesn't look that great.

Then you've apparently been around plenty of novice shooters at your range haha, just kidding. Guys are printing 0.3-0.5 MOA groups at 100 with the RPRs using factory and handloads where I shoot. I'm a Savage guy through and through, but an RPR in 6.5 CM in the hands of a capable shooter will hang with our 0.5 MOA factory barrel Savages all day

lavahunter
06-07-2016, 08:34 AM
I sold my RPR mainly because it was a tank compared to the Stealth. That's great if your bench shooting but I want to pack a rifle. And my Stealth shoots every bit as good as the RPR, I am sure it will even be better once broken in.
I will say you get more features with the RPR for your money, but I like the feel of the Stealth better.