PDA

View Full Version : is the sss competition trigger really worth...

Pages : [1] 2 3

bodywerks
07-15-2010, 12:55 AM
...all the hassle of getting one? I've used up all my cell minutes listening to a busy signal for the past three days trying to get a hold of sharpshooter supply. And given the fact that the other three orders I've placed with them have yet to be filled, I'd hate to finally get a hold of them only to find out they won't have any in stock for another month(which in SSS speak means three months). I'm all about waiting for a quality stock or action truing, but for a trigger?
I can go on midwayusa.com and add a rifle basix trigger to my cart and have it at my door by Saturday.
I've heard only good things about them both although the nod tends to go to SSS. But its going on a basically factory gun and all I'm looking for is a trigger that doesn't have the problems that the accutrigger is known for(and that I'm experiencing). I think either trigger will do the job but there's gotta be a reason why people go through the hassle with SSS - I just don't know what that reason is...

trappst
07-15-2010, 01:02 AM
In a word..........YES!

bodywerks
07-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Great. Why?

Dirk
07-15-2010, 06:30 AM
If you do not care to get it from SSS, you can also get it from Brownells...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7389/Product/SAVAGE_COMPETITION_TRIGGER

IMHO, the best trigger for a Savage rifle. Nice crisp let off. Well made, fully adjustable from 2.5# down to 12 ounces (mine is running at 10 ounces after many years of competition service). Easy to install and set up.

dolomite_supafly
07-15-2010, 06:34 AM
They are the best drop in trigger. All others are just revamped factoy designs while the SSS competition trigger is a completely different and better design. Once set and installed, which is very easy to do, mine has been very reliable. I have literally thousands of firings on my trigger and it is still as good as the day I bought it.

If you are worried or having concerns about SSS then buy from one of his distributors. It isn't like he isn't getting paid for the trigger.

Brownells has them in stock right now:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7389/Product/SAVAGE_COMPETITION_TRIGGER
And Brownells ships quicker than Midway Usa or that has been my experience. I live on the east coast and Brownells orders take about 2-3 days depending on if I order in the am or pm. Midway Usa usually takes 3-5 days.

Dolomite

McKinneyMike
07-15-2010, 06:36 AM
Great. Why?

Well for me it just felt better than the RB trigger that I had previously in the same rifle. It breaks very clean, zero creep and feels good on my finger. I am not any type of expert, but I have shot more than a few rifles in my lifetime. If you own a Savage, I have never felt a better trigger than the SSS.

bodywerks
07-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Thanks. Wish I had known about brownell's carrying them before I jumped on the riflebasix option...
No matter. I think I'm gonna put an order in with Fred to have the action trued, flute and install a shilen .260 select match barrel and his recoil lug, flute the bolt, etc. And ill just have him install the trigger at that time.
For now ill see how the RB trigger works out...then again, I do have three of these savages so I may go ahead and order one from brownells...

bodywerks
07-15-2010, 07:20 AM
WAIT A MINUTE!!! AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE????? Why is the same trigger so much more expensive at brownells?? $119+shipping vs. $97 shipped at SSS???? The convenience is definitely not worth that much - I must be missing something...

McKinneyMike
07-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Capitalism ::)

bodywerks
07-15-2010, 07:44 AM
More like robbery...if that's how brownells runs they can kiss my arse. No matter, I found another placethat doesn't price-gouge:
https://www.tacticalworks.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1&keep_https=yes
Got it for $100 shipped...$3 convenience fee is more like it.

hailstone
07-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Brownells isn't like WalMart where everything is made in Chine. They sell mostly USA made goods. That's one thing I do like about SSS they have one price for there product whether your mom and pop store or large corporation like WalMart. With my gunsmithing discount the price is comparable.

bodywerks
07-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Not sure I get what you mean. So what if brownells sells only USA-made stuff. That justifies the hideous mark-up? Ill be damned if I'm gonna fork over an extra 25% for the same product from them just because I agree with their ideals...price gouging, however, is not an ideal I agree with. Ill be dammed if I'm gonna pad their pockets with MY hard earned $$$!!

Blue Avenger
07-15-2010, 08:21 AM
better quit buying clothing 300%+ on it, so they can afford to toss what don't sell

McKinneyMike
07-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Not sure I get what you mean. So what if brownells sells only USA-made stuff. That justifies the hideous mark-up? Ill be damned if I'm gonna fork over an extra 25% for the same product from them just because I agree with their ideals...price gouging, however, is not an ideal I agree with. Ill be dammed if I'm gonna pad their pockets with MY hard earned $$$!!

And this is why the jobs are all overseas and Wal-Mart is the place to shop for so many. God help this country. There is a greed issue with both sellers and purchasers. It will likely take the coming depression to sort these things out for us once again as we do not learn from history.

nuclabuyer
07-15-2010, 08:37 AM
FWIW, I think everyone in the US has the right to make a profit. If you dont like it, dont buy it. Capitolism at it's best, but I dont think that the 119 dollars is still that bad of a price. You can look at people buying $50 per 100 bullets. They get 100 shots for there $50. So with in 200 rounds and shipping you trigger is payed for and you got thousands more rounds of life out of it. I understand shopping and getting the best deal you can. But Brownell still has to make a profit to stay open. It is employeeing alot of people and they provide a service that works well. In a pinch I would not hesitate ordering that trigger for $120 to get it here. I order alot of stuff though SSS but I think alot of people can agree that they are not the easiest to order from, just because they are alway on the phone and because they are so popular.

DGD6MM
07-15-2010, 09:04 AM
You could spend more for a lesser trigger if you wish. But by the sounds of it ,it wouldn't make you happy.

hailstone
07-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Well I guess since you used up all you cell phone minutes plus cost of your time itself that will make SSS cheaper than Brownells. Since my cell minutes cost $.45 each when there's overage and my hourly rate is over $20 per hour then it doesn't take much for me to buy where ever there's savings. If that's Brownells then so be it!

I've gone the Rifle Basx-2 trigger and in my opinion its a piece of crap!!! I've ordered SSS triggers and the same from Brownells. There's absolutely no comparison between SSS trigger and any of the pack. By far the best in my opinion.

BobT
07-15-2010, 10:02 AM
I've gone the Rifle Basx-2 trigger and in my opinion its a piece of crap!!! I've ordered SSS triggers and the same from Brownells. There's absolutely no comparison between SSS trigger and any of the pack. By far the best in my opinion.

Care to elaborate on this?

I don't have a SSS trigger but that will be the next one I buy. I do have a Rifle Basix SAV-2 trigger and it is an excellent trigger, clean, crisp and repeatable. What is the trouble with yours?

Thanks,
Bob

bodywerks
07-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Wow, You guys don't see a problem with Brownells marking up this trigger by 25% over what Sharpshooter supply and one of it's other dealers(tacticalworks.com) is charging????
Wow - that's all I can say - wow...
Sorry, but if you have a choice between getting the exact same product at market price, or 25% over market, and you choose to pay the extra 25% then, well.
Tacticalworks.com is located in Colorado - tells me it's an American company. I'm still supporting American companies, and American-made products, and am getting the product at the right price.
I'll take the $25 I saved and buy me a thousand more primers, or a couple 18-packs ;)...

tomme boy
07-15-2010, 12:43 PM
But, Brownwlls anwsers the phone when you call. That's worth something.