PDA

View Full Version : is the sss competition trigger really worth...

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Pete K.
07-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Why does my "Malewarebytes" anti virus software warn and then stop tacticalworks.com from loading??. It does this also on their Tac-ops link. Malewarebytes must be detecting a tracking cookie or something it deems unsafe. Bottom line is that I can't open either of their web pages.
Got any ideas???

Pete K.

Dirk
07-18-2010, 08:07 AM
There is nothing nefarious on their site. Temporarily disable Malwarebytes. It's being 'overly' protective.

bodywerks
07-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Got my SSS trigger installed, but it was by NO MEANS a drop in fit in my FCP-k:
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,34406.0.html

hailstone
07-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Web sites that use Activ-X type of software causes my computer too dump anything from them into the Junk E-Mail folder. My server also has anti-virus software too protect itself and its customers. It will also quarantine downloads from sites using the same software.

Dirk
07-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Too much protection, makes your computer almost unuseable to you.

Wahooo03
07-20-2010, 01:08 AM
Just ordered from Tactical Works. Thanks for the link.

MEC

bodywerks
07-20-2010, 07:14 AM
I'm about to order another myself, as soon as I find out if rifle basix will let me return their trigger to them...I was unimpressed with it compared to the SSS, to say the least.

bpratl
07-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Last Tuesday I ordered a Competition Trigger from SSS and received and installed it today, Thursday. It is everything plus a lot more. I was always impressed with the Savage Accu-trigger and was able to modify it and get it down to 1.5 lbs. but it was very inconsistent with a +/- .4 oz. The SSS trigger is very crisp and very consistent. I am now ready to upgrade my other Savages.

bodywerks
07-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Agreed. Returned my riflebasix POS and ordered a second SSS trigger. I have the first one breaking crisp @ about 14.5 ounces - have cycled and slammed the bolt shut numerous times and the SSS never slipped - real confidence builder. The riflebasix would not hold a pull weight setting and would slam-fire if you cycled the bolt too fast.

~Ace~
07-25-2010, 02:07 AM
I don't waste my time trying to deal with SSS.... I have 4 of the Competition triggers all from www.tacticalworks.com, the first 2 are great, the last 2 both have issues, if you adjust the overtravel to a decent level, the sear cam gets hung up and will not reset. SSS needs to tighten up on their QC. Tactical works is Great to deal with, Fair prices and fast shipping. Even with the issues, the SSS trigger is still the best on the market.

hailstone
07-25-2010, 06:10 AM
Are you sure that's the problem Ace. I've had several that worked until the action was put back in the stock when things became erratic. Finally found the cam was touching the trigger guard. Clamped it in mill vise and milled a slight taper on front upper surface to eliminate the problem.

Dealing with SSS for your triggers you would be down to $80 per unit. By the time you hit 10-12 units I believe the price gets down to $50 per unit. Use you head and its not hard getting through to SSS on the phone.

BillPa
07-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Actually, it more a problem with the sear, trigger housing and actions. The sear and trigger housings are stamped parts, variations can and do exist. Something as simple as how high or low the housing rests on the rear tang or the position and fit of the sear-housing pin can make a big difference how a trigger fits, works and adjusts. Even something like the cocking piece pin to cocking piece fit (slop) can come into play.

In another post someone mentioned the hole for the trigger hinge pin(screw) was off on their SSS trigger. The trigger was probably just fine, the housing not so. With another housing it may have been OK. There are a lot of parts that have to fit and work together, its why one trigger may work just perfect and the next one needs some parts tweaked to get right. Even Jewell triggers on custom actions aren't always 100%, one reason for adjustable trigger hangers.

What needs be done I dunno. It could be as simple a filing off the flash on the edges from stamping, new fitted pins or a bunch of other tweaks, just which and what I can't say. They're all a little different.

Bill

Savage_Jake
07-25-2010, 08:45 PM
I don't waste my time trying to deal with SSS.... I have 4 of the Competition triggers all from www.tacticalworks.com, the first 2 are great, the last 2 both have issues, if you adjust the overtravel to a decent level, the sear cam gets hung up and will not reset. SSS needs to tighten up on their QC. Tactical works is Great to deal with, Fair prices and fast shipping. Even with the issues, the SSS trigger is still the best on the market.

I have the same exact problem with mine. I have to leave about an 1/8" of over travel in order for the bolt release to work. It's really aggravating. My factory Remington trigger breaks more crisp and clean the the SSS Comp trigger. I'm rather disappointed with it.

Wahooo03
07-25-2010, 09:36 PM
I have the same exact problem with mine. I have to leave about an 1/8" of over travel in order for the bolt release to work. It's really aggravating. My factory Remington trigger breaks more crisp and clean the the SSS Comp trigger. I'm rather disappointed with it.

My new SSS has the same issue. Although it is still night and day compared to the factory trigger, it did throw me for a loop during the install and is disappointing.

MEC

hailstone
07-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Believe BillPa it would be quite easy to find out whats causing the problem. Would take two rifles -- one that is okay and one that has a problem. It then becomes a matter of taking one part at a time from one rifle and put into the second rifle. When the problem follows then that piece is the problem. At this point you would have to compare and measure one part to the other too find the differences. There may be more than one part as you speculate. Would take some time but believe you would eventually get the answers you sought.

~Ace~
07-25-2010, 11:29 PM
This is a SSS TRIGGER Issue, not the rifles, I have moved the ones that work to the rifles I need the best triggers in, and the culls to others. I repeat, this is Out Of Spec TRIGGERS. NOT The Rifles. If you adjust them to below .090 - .110 over travel they Fail, Miserably. The earlier ones adjust down to Almost None... in any rifle I put them in. They still work, they are still better than other options, but they are Not what they used to be. I hope a more viable option hits the market, with better QC.