PDA

View Full Version : is the sss competition trigger really worth...

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Eric in NC
07-15-2010, 01:05 PM
I like the way the $20s feel - especially the new ones.

My price at Brownells shows up as $97.64 (discount).

And no, I have no problem with anyone charging anything they want for something (this is the USA), but then again I don't choose to call people names for spending their money where and how they want (have no issue with those that choose to waste money buying 18 packs of canned beer instead of cases of bottles or kegs).

hailstone
07-15-2010, 01:11 PM
That's fine because its called freedom. Free to do what "you" deem necessary and acceptable. Yes some may consider Brownells charges excessive. When I call they answer the phone within several rings. The order is placed and product arrives two days later. When I call SSS sometimes I get through within a few tries but other times takes days. How much money would I loose in productivity trying too save $25. While you chased all over getting the best deal, I'm already down the road and done several other jobs. The money I've saved in my time, phone charges etc. amounts too a far larger amount than the $25. Additional jobs are done which are paying for that wasted time. So the bottom line is yes you saved $25 by doing what you've done. I've made addition $$$ not worrying about that small detail but rather by utilizing my time more productively. If your so worried about that $25 then don't buy new clothing as another poster commented. Don't take the old beater in for repairs because the parts you get can be bought other places for 50% of what your paying at the repair shop.

dolomite_supafly
07-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Calling people an idiot for spending their money how they want?

I am all about saving money but claiming others are idiots for spending their money how they want to only proves who the idiot really is. Hope you enjoy your trigger because it is a good one.

Dolomite

RWO
07-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Brownells has to charge more. They have a large staff, a huge web-site loaded with good info, and a big glossy catalog that is still free IIRC. There ain't no free lunches.

RWO

J.Baker
07-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Do any of you guys even have a clue how big parts companies like Brownells, Midway, etc. work? Here's an example of their typical gestapo tactics...

1. Said company finds a product they want to start carrying.
2. Said company contacts manufacturer and says "we want 100 of these"
3. Manufacturer says "sure, they're $xx.xx each"
4. Said company comes back and says "Oh no, you have to sell them to us for $xx.xx because we need to make 45% on them if we're going to stock them.
5. The manufacturer, thinking he's doing himself a favor, sells his product to them for the price they want and kisses his own profit margin goodbye thinking he'll make it up in volume, but never does so he basically cut his own throat.

So why is the SSS trigger $20 more through Brownell's than through other sources? Pretty much because Fred told them to take their 45% profit margin and shove it...this is the dealer price, take it or leave it. They took it, but they still want their 45% profit so it's $20 more through them.

pdog06
07-15-2010, 03:28 PM
And I praise Fred for not giving in to them and selling it for less.....He should, however, sell it to Savageshooters site members at a discount ;)...Just kidding, but worth a shot ;D

The larger companies can get away with charging more cause they know they will most likely have what you need when you order, and when you order multiple items that means alot to a consumer. I dont like Cabelas prices, but somehow I still find a way to spend $100 or more everytime I go in there. This week alone I spent $300 there and never even left my hometown ::).

Eric in NC
07-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Do any of you guys even have a clue how big parts companies like Brownells, Midway, etc. work? Here's an example of their typical gestapo tactics...

1. Said company finds a product they want to start carrying.
2. Said company contacts manufacturer and says "we want 100 of these"
3. Manufacturer says "sure, they're $xx.xx each"
4. Said company comes back and says "Oh no, you have to sell them to us for $xx.xx because we need to make 45% on them if we're going to stock them.
5. The manufacturer, thinking he's doing himself a favor, sells his product to them for the price they want and kisses his own profit margin goodbye thinking he'll make it up in volume, but never does so he basically cut his own throat.

So why is the SSS trigger $20 more through Brownell's than through other sources? Pretty much because Fred told them to take their 45% profit margin and shove it...this is the dealer price, take it or leave it. They took it, but they still want their 45% profit so it's $20 more through them.

Those are more like Wal-Mart tactics aren't they? ;)

They must have wanted Fred's stuff really bad because there is usually a provision that the manufacturer can't sell the item to anyone else for less than Brownell's sells it for.

hcpyro13
07-15-2010, 03:46 PM
I finally gave in and ordered one from SSS.... it's like Christmas in summer...

-Jake

Dirk
07-15-2010, 04:01 PM
If Brownell's has it in stock and SSS doesn't or I'll have to wait until I'm too old to use it, I'll pay the extra $20. Fred has every right to sell them at his price, I don't deny him his profit (Lord knows he's earned it). We have the right to spend an extra $20 for the convenience of getting it quickly.

bodywerks
07-15-2010, 08:18 PM
You guys are missing the point. I don't care what Brownells wants to charge. And if they were the only other option I may have very well caved.
Fact of the matter is THEY WERE NOT THE ONLY OPTION!!!! tacticalworks.com sells them, too...
I chose the option that got me my trigger at a fair price and you guys reamed me a new one.
Sorry for the harsh remarks earlier, but it seemed that I was being called 'un-American' for not supporting Brownells pricepoint to help them pay for their HUGE staff, and contributing to the detriment of society for purchasing from a company with more competitive pricing. Did that light me up? You bet...
Rant over, I give up...

bobcat30
07-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Something else to consider is maybe you get thru right away to brownells. But do you or have you gotten the customer service that fred and lisa offer at sss? Doubt it!! If there is a problem it is fixed without questions! I would rather wait a lil extra time for a quality top of the line product than pay extra because u have no patience. Just my 2 cents i have had nothing but good things to say about sss. Put it this way i ordered some things from them asked questions and was offered to have those things finished my way no extra charge. Bet that doesnt and wont happen thru brownells,midway so on.

bobcat30
07-16-2010, 12:28 AM
Oh and yeah the trigger is worth every bit of what they charge

nuclabuyer
07-16-2010, 10:02 AM
It's good that you saved some money going to tactical works. They have less people to employ, dont have a huge catalog to send out. It is good that you ordered from them. You helped some people keep there jobs. But that doesnt take away that there are reasons that Brownells has reasons to mark it up a little more then tactical works. I use there catalog for looking up parts as well as midway. I order most of my stuff though midway. They arent the cheapest, but they are close to the easiest and most consistant. If they dont have it, I go to Brownells and Sinclair Int. They also stock a lot of weird stuff, when I wanted 22-243win, 260AI and 6mm Dasher dies, they were instock at Sinclair. Takes money to stock stuff that some one may never buy.

Just my .02 worth

Pete K.
07-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Question please... This trigger assembly is listed to fit the long actions and the model 10. How about the model 12 series?

Pete K. ???

drybean
07-16-2010, 06:48 PM
yep

Budweiser360
07-16-2010, 06:54 PM
I just got my Rifle basix Sav-2 on my F-class rifle, couldn't be happier and my email was answered promptly with the product shipped quickly to my door. Fantastic trigger, currently set at 5oz. with no creep, very crisp and seems to be well made. If I was going to buy from SSS again, they would need to have an online store. I don't have the time to listen to busy signals all day. They may do great work, but if I can't get a hold of them, my business goes elsewhere. That's just life, and by the sounds of it, it's not hurting them at all. Win Win IMO...

bodywerks
07-17-2010, 01:32 AM
i might get lucky and have my trigger tomorrow. I like the accutrigger concept, but I have to man instances where the sear slips past the groove on the trigger and jams against the accutrigger blade, causing basically a misfire. For target shooting at the range its no big deal, but in competition or when that ground squirrel finally presents himself, it's quite frustrating.

MikeCTX
07-17-2010, 03:23 PM
I would say YES!! Just installed one on my Model 12 (started life as a 223 but is a 20 Tactical now). For some it seems to be a drop in, though in a fairness I was sick as a dog when I installed mine. Went back and reinstalled to get things adjusted and have to say I am quite happy with it. Still tinkering with it a bit to get that right weight of pull, but that is for me not any issue with the trigger. Looked at the RB Sav-1 and 2, did not want to spend the extra $ for the 2 and the Sav-1 did not seem to offer the light weight of pull I wanted and after reading about the SSS competition trigger felt it was the one for me...now that I have it installed still think so. Only other triggers I have had the chance to 'pull' have been the Shilen trigger on one of their new actions, and a Jewel on a custom BR rifle so not fair to compare to those.

Have mine adjusted pretty low right now, just have not taken it out (in the morning) to see if it is where I want it - NOTE this rifle is not used for anything except target shooting.

bodywerks
07-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Got both triggers in today. The SSS is definitely better just by the looks of it. Gonna try to get them both installed for range time tomorrow.

Galveston22
07-17-2010, 10:59 PM
I have never seen one of these triggers for sale in the classifieds if that tells you anything about the quality.