PDA

View Full Version : accustock issues?????

Pages : [1] 2 3

mudflaps daddy
07-07-2010, 04:51 PM
I few months ago I purchased 2 weather warriors with accustocks in 7mm rem mag. I immediately removed the stocks so that I could minimize the trigger pull of the accutriggers.
I follwed the instructions for the installation of the stocks and used a calibrated torque wrench while following the prescribed torque sequence.

Neither of the rifles will shoot less than a 1 1/2" group after 3 shots, and has never shot less than an 1" for the first 3 shots. Since my marlin xs7, stevens 200 and ruger mkII and savage 110 all shoot less than 1 1/2" groups and usually less than 1" groups I had hoped for better accuracy from these rifles. I know they have the makings of accurate rifles. I have tried several hand loads in each as well as factory ammo.

I think I may have over tightened the accustuck screws and appllied too much clamping force. I follwed the torque info, but I think i screwed up by adding a drop of loc tite to each screw. This basically lubricated the screws, which meant the spec of 40 in-lbs produced greater clamping force than necessary.

I have since removed the screws and re-torqued with dry threads. I have not shot either since this adjustment.

[b]Does anyone know how the increased clamping force will affect the accuracy?

Thanks

sharpshooter
07-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Remove the accu-wedge and pitch it, it causes more problems than it will solve. install both action screws finger tight, set the gun upright on it's butt so the lug will settle against the lug reinforcement, then tighten the front screw first, then the rear.

bodywerks
07-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Agreed with Fred.
I was out at the range today with my FCP-k in .308 that, when factory and untouched, would shoot 3/4" groups @100 yards, off a bipod, no bag. Well, I later removed the action for whatever reason and reinstalled it. Today at the range I started with a 2" group AT 50 YARDS!!!!!!!! I tightened the action screws as recommended by Savage so that wasn't the problem. I ended up loosening all the screws at the range, tightened the wedged to 20in/lbs, then the other action screws to 55in/lbs, then loosened the wedge and shoot a 3/4" group at 100 yards. Then I rechecked the action screws and found that they had loosened, and I basically struggled with them the rest of the day.
Long story short, just minutes ago I filled my accustock with epoxy and stuck the action in - going back to what we all know works.

82boy
07-07-2010, 11:29 PM
I found out when I did a review of the precision carbine that removing the wedge greatly affected accuracy. I got flamed on it, and blown off, and now I am glad to read that people are starting to see the same thing I did.

range rat
07-08-2010, 10:33 AM
My BAT/S shot great when the wedge was set just right(I got lucky that time I guess). Took the stock off and could NEVER get it back shooting again. Dumped the inaccu-wedge and the problem was solved.

bodywerks
07-08-2010, 01:33 PM
First bedding job for me - ironic that it was done to an accustock, lol! Bye-bye accuwedge, hello ol'skool:
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/accuwedge/bedding1.jpg
Also note the sear pin retaining plug I installed. I had problems with it migrating and causing trigger/bolt-cocking issues:
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/accuwedge/searpinplug.jpg

kschilling
07-08-2010, 01:56 PM
bodywerks- I'm LMAO at your post and timing!!!!!!! Ya.... Ol Skool works! I just finished a project for someone who had the exact same issues. We set him up with one of my T6061 rails with a Corian stock. I'm not sure what he did with the old stock, but if Savage had any large windows in front of their building, I bet this guy is thinking about tossing it thru one....... Nice work on you bedding.... Good Luck.

Muddflaps- There are several people who are feeling your pain...... Good Luck with it.

bodywerks
07-09-2010, 02:56 PM
FWIW, the best group I ever got with this rifle prior to bedding it was about 5/8", and that was when it was new and before I took it apart. I took the gun out today, shot my usual loads of 175smk's over 43.9g Varget at 2.810". First group sucked, mostly because of a clean barrel and me, but the second group, 5 shots, was the best 100yd group this rifle ever shot:
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/accuwedge/best308group.jpg
I measure it at about 5/16"...let's just say I'm happy with that!
The rest of the groups opened up a good bit, but I mostly attribute it to the high, varying winds, and the loose nut behind the trigger, lol! They still stayed sub-MOA for the most part, though...

jeffc2x
07-09-2010, 07:52 PM
So do most people agree that it's best to remove the ACCWEDGE?I've never had mine out of the stock,but I had to send it back to Savage for some feeding issues.After getting it back,I put the scope back ont to line it up and it still shoots good ,but I think it doesn't group as good as before I sent it.Could be the weather too affecting accuracy.It's a mdl. 10 PC .223 .I'm sure they had it out of the stock working on it.
JEFF

eight_heads
07-10-2010, 01:07 AM
hmm, now i'm tempted to remove my accuwedge or whatever it's called. i recently bought a 10 FLCP-K that's shooting 5 in 3/8" at 100 yards. i have yet to remove the accustock. should i pitch the wedge when i do remove the stock?

jeffc2x
07-10-2010, 11:01 AM
hmm, now i'm tempted to remove my accuwedge or whatever it's called. i recently bought a 10 FLCP-K that's shooting 5 in 3/8" at 100 yards. i have yet to remove the accustock. should i pitch the wedge when i do remove the stock?

I've got the same question about removing the wedge. ???
Jeff

MSG Janoski
07-10-2010, 11:38 AM
So do most people agree that it's best to remove the ACCWEDGE?I've never had mine out of the stock,but I had to send it back to Savage for some feeding issues.After getting it back,I put the scope back ont to line it up and it still shoots good ,but I think it doesn't group as good as before I sent it.Could be the weather too affecting accuracy.It's a mdl. 10 PC .223 .I'm sure they had it out of the stock working on it.
JEFF

Jeff,
I don't agree at all. I've had my action/barrel out of it's AccuStock 4 times now since January for various reasons. I'm also new to Savage since late last year. I've gone by the Savage sequence for accuracy each time I've put the rifle (10 FLCP-K) back together and it consistently groups at 3/8 to 1/2 inch at 300 yards no problems. You know there have to be thousands of AccuStocks out there now and people hear a couple of problems and think the sky is falling. In my experience of firearms and users it comes down to operator error over 90% of the time.

jeffc2x
07-10-2010, 01:56 PM
JEFF

Jeff,
I don't agree at all. I've had my action/barrel out of it's AccuStock 4 times now since January for various reasons. I'm also new to Savage since late last year. I've gone by the Savage sequence for accuracy each time I've put the rifle (10 FLCP-K) back together and it consistently groups at 3/8 to 1/2 inch at 300 yards no problems. You know there have to be thousands of AccuStocks out there now and people hear a couple of problems and think the sky is falling. In my experience of firearms and users it comes down to operator error over 90% of the time.

What caliber,load,and grain bullet are you shooting?Do you find that yours shoots good or great groups depending on the temp. outside?I need to buy me a torque wrench for this rifle.
THANKS JEFF
THANKS JEFF

bodywerks
07-10-2010, 03:49 PM
I torqued mine to the specs per savage - wedge screw first to 10in/lbs, then the other two. Then increase torque by 10in/lbs and repeat until you get to 45in/lbs. Performance was still erratic.
I agree that operator error can and probably does always play a part, but the bottom line is that the accuwedge will never be better than a good bedding job. Maybe as good, under specific circumstances, but never better...

jeffc2x
07-10-2010, 09:51 PM
I shot mine some more this afternoon after it cooled off,no wind.I shot some loads that shot good before,and they didn,t shoot so good,using AA2230 .,Nosler 55 gr. Balistic tip,and some Varget with 65 gr.Sierra Gameking.Also shot some WINCHESTER white box 45 gr.HP,they shot great.When shooting do you let the barrel cool between shots,or shoot a 3 or 5 shot group then cool.I've shot some good groups with a warm or hot barrel.I'm thinking about taking the wedge out and trying some groups.Whats some of your best grouping loads?Also do you think crimping or not make a big difference?
JEFF

82boy
07-10-2010, 10:06 PM
I found that in the 10 Precision carbine I had I shot some good groups once I removed the accu-wedge. I found that the gun shot well with many different loads.
This is a group shot with 69 gr SMK's over Varget.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/82boy/IMG_0080-1.jpg
68 Hornady
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/82boy/IMG_0079.jpg
My favorite 77 SMK over 4895.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/82boy/IMG_0081-1.jpg
Another favorite 52 match bullet over N133
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/82boy/IMG_0082-1.jpg

All I know was the gun would not hold .5 groups with the accu wedge installed and tight. My thoughts are; If a guns actions screws are so torque sensitive that they need to be tightened in a specific sequence and to a specific torque it has a bad bedding problem.

range rat
07-11-2010, 09:12 AM
I'll take a pillar bedded stock over a accustock any day. Lets face it, Savage put out some of the most accurate mass produced rifles (BEFORE the sales gimmick "accu-stock") in the cheapo flimsy plastic stocks. Now that we have the accu-stock and better accuracy,Custom rifles wouldn't have a chance :D . Give it 5 years and we will all see the real deal. If you ask me, the hype/sales gimmick sure fell flat!!

MSG Janoski
07-11-2010, 09:13 AM
What caliber,load,and grain bullet are you shooting?Do you find that yours shoots good or great groups depending on the temp. outside?I need to buy me a torque wrench for this rifle.
THANKS JEFF
THANKS JEFF

Jeff,
Was it you I answered in a PM? Anyway I'm shooting just plain old Federal GM308M, of course groups can be affected by temp and rate of fire. My tightest groups are on good weather/wind days. I have some cases of M118 Ball that don't group quite as well as the Federal and that's to be expected. I have been a long distance marksman practically my whole military career so I do have years of experience that I rely on. The AccuStock torquing sequence I use that Chris Bezzina sent me is below.

There used to be the procedure in a post I supplied here but I cannot find it with the search option, but is it here;
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=146809&Number=1609675#Post1609675

jeffc2x
07-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Remove the accu-wedge and pitch it, it causes more problems than it will solve. install both action screws finger tight, set the gun upright on it's butt so the lug will settle against the lug reinforcement, then tighten the front screw first, then the rear.

I took out my Accuwedge today and have been playing wth some loads,but stiil will not shoot a consistant group except with the Win.white box(40 rds.)45 gr.factory ammo.Before I sent it to Savage it was shooting good. ???It is 98 degrees here today,don't know if that has alot to do with it or not.Seems like it was cooler weather when it shot better.Do you think Win. uses 748 powder in thier white box .223 ammo?I don't know if I should put the accuwedge back in or not. ::)Any ideas?
JEFF

bodywerks
07-11-2010, 06:17 PM
A lot of times it is just the mindset of the shooter. I am not a consistent 1/2MOA shooter, but my groups just seemed to be erratic when I had the wedge in.
I have a Savage FCP-k in .223 also. I ditched the entire stock and did a skim bed on a Choate custom Tactical for it. I m still working up an optimal load, but I do find that the gun shoots more consistently. Here is two 5-shot groups I did at 200 yards, at different times in the day and different wind conditions. The lower right-hand group was done in a fairly high quartering cross wind from the left. For the upper left-hand group, the only reason it is higher and to the left is because I dialed a minute of elevation prior to shooting it and the left-right wind had died.
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/accuwedge/2010-07-10120153.jpg