PDA

View Full Version : accustock issues?????

Pages : 1 2 [3]

wahoowad
08-09-2010, 01:23 PM
I don't want to wind up like duhast and others and have to keep fiddling with the accustock. I don't know if I will need to, I'm just going off this thread which makes it sound like the accustock is complicated. I want to be able to remove my stock for cleaning, etc. without worrying I have lost my zero.

82boy - Should I consider getting the accustock rifle but removing the wedge???

82boy
08-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Just bed it like any other stock.

[quote=wahoowad ]
I don't want to wind up like duhast and others and have to keep fiddling with the accustock. I don't know if I will need to, I'm just going off this thread which makes it sound like the accustock is complicated. I want to be able to remove my stock for cleaning, etc. without worrying I have lost my zero.

82boy - Should I consider getting the accustock rifle but removing the wedge???

I find that the accu-stock is a bit more complicated than the standard stock. If you do get an accu-stock I would remove the wedge I found that the one I had shot better that way. IMO any gun that is so torque sensitive that the action screw need torqued in a sequence, or at a specific torque weight has a bedding problem.

wahoowad
08-09-2010, 02:45 PM
I agree with you about the sequence. Do you still have to follow the torque sequence if you remove the wedge?

82boy
08-09-2010, 03:05 PM
I agree with you about the sequence. Do you still have to follow the torque sequence if you remove the wedge?

I have never tried the torque sequence, so I don't know if it even works or not, it is just an article that was put out on savageaccuracy.com web site claiming that it makes a difference. I found that the rifle I had shot some amazing groups with the accu-stock once I removed the accu-wedge. I just torqued the action down hand tight. The only complaint I had with it this way was every once in a while the rifle would just go wild and shoot some unexpected flyer's, then go back to shooting great. I could never figure this out. I just contributed it to the accu-stock. In closing I would say that the 10PC I had would make one heck of a hunting varmint rifle! The guns was plenty accurate, but to call it a precision paper puncher, or a tactical rifle,I would not. The biggest problem I have with the 10PC is the cost. Now if Savage would lower the cost of the gun to the price range of a 10FP, I would say that it would be equal grounds, and if someone wanted something to shoot off of a bi-pod I would recommend the 10PC over the 10FP. But if someone wanted something to modify I would recommend the 10fp, because of the stock availability.

bodywerks
08-10-2010, 12:50 AM
82boy, it is my understanding that the accuwedge is THE ESSENCE of the accustock system. In other words, in order for it to be an accustock it must have an accuwedge.

82boy
08-10-2010, 09:46 AM
82boy, it is my understanding that the accuwedge is THE ESSENCE of the accustock system. In other words, in order for it to be an accustock it must have an accuwedge.

How do you figure?

All the accu-wedge does is push the recoil lug back to its rearmost point. That is it, the only function it serves. The same thing is accomplished buy setting the rifle up on its recoil pad when tightening down the action screws. The "Accu-stock " will function properly without it. The heart of the "accu-stock" system is the aluminum u channel bedding system, the spreads apart when the action is tightened down. From what I have seen of the "accu-wedge" is that it can conflict with the bedding system. In some guns.(Not all) the accu-wedge will cause the recoil lug to bottom out, and not allow the action to fully seat down into the u channel. The accu-wedge is a serious flaw within the accu-stock system. When the accu-wedge is fully tightened down it places unneeded stress on the action, and causes the action to not sit squarely in the u channel bedding system, therefore defeating the hole purpose of even having an u channel bedding system. I have shot the rifle both ways with the accu-wedge in ans out and every time I can say that it shot better without. I have also seen the action shift and pop, when releasing the tension from the accu wedge, even at light settings.

bodywerks
08-10-2010, 12:27 PM
I do not like the accuwedge so no need to go there. I chucked the wedge on my FCP-k and bedded it and will do the same if my 110BA has the wedge.
I guess the better way to get my point across is to ask this:
Is there an Accustock that does NOT incorporate the accuwedge and the '3D bedding' system(my understanding is that the wedge is an integral part of the accustock design).
Yes,I know all accustocks incorporate an aluminum bedding, but without the wedge it is really just that - an aluminum bedding. And of course it is FAR superior to an all plastic stock. But if you toss the wedge then you just have a stock with an aluminum bed - it is no longer an accustock. My opinion, of course...or if you know of an accustock that does not incorporate the wedge then I stand corrected...

nomosendero
08-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Does the new "improved" Accustock have a different wedge?