PDA

View Full Version : 111LRH in .25-06 not happy!

Pages : [1] 2 3

rebelwolf10
03-10-2015, 11:25 AM
I have wanted a rifle in the caliber for some time and finally decided to get one. Savage was on the top of the short list because of past experience with a model 12 in .22-250. The 111LRH at 850.00 was a bit above what I wanted to pay for a hunting rifle but with numerous reviews showing consistant sub moa accuracy in several bullet weights I decided to get one.

The gun will not shoot the most commonly found weight of 117 grains in anything less than 2 inches at 100 yards and most are over three inches. The 100 grain Federal with the Nosler Ballistic Tip that Savage uses to test their guns did shoot a group a bit over 1.5 inches at 100 yards but a second try with that bullet was over 2 inches.

Called "customer service" and was sent a replacement stock since they knew there were issues with that on this rifle. No help with the accuracy.

Second call resulted in sending the gun back to Savage, it was returned with a note saying they acheived a three shot group at close to one inch with the Federal bullet.

Third call was to tell them that one group did not mean anything the rifle had been inconsistant from day one with two different stocks and two different scopes using five different types of ammo. Was told they got a one inch group and only guarantee 1.5 or less. I said that I was not happy with my purchase and the gun was not worth what it cost if it would not perform at least as well as my 350.00 Ruger American. He said if it shoots under 1.5 inches with the one brand of ammo they use then it is fine. I told him I would not buy or reccommend another Savage rifle and he really couldn't have cared less.

Buyer beware Savage does make good rifles, I know I have one. However they do make poor rifles and I have one of those too. Apparently they have so many customers they are not concerned with how many they loose.

yobuck
03-10-2015, 11:59 AM
Well you can count on me not breathing a word of this.
Hopefully you can find another sucker to unload the thing on.
By the way, my Ruger Hawkeye 223 is one of the worst shooting guns
ive ever had the displeasure of owning also.
I (might) hit a turkey if its close enough and i hold center mass.
The guy i bought it from bought a Savage with the money i paid him and thats a fact.

olddav
03-10-2015, 12:08 PM
Sell it to someone who reloads and they will make it shoot.

yobuck
03-10-2015, 12:35 PM
Shssh, i was gonna make him an offer on it lol.

keeki
03-10-2015, 01:01 PM
I will also.lol

rebelwolf10
03-10-2015, 03:09 PM
I have handloaded for 30 years. I could probably make this shoot. Should Savage rely on that when it sells a rifle?

It is for sale if anyone wants it. I will tell you that since the man from savage assured me it was worth 1000 dollars it aint going cheap.

bythebook
03-10-2015, 04:15 PM
I have a 25-06 12BVSS that I haven't touched and it will shoot less than .50 inch when I can.

stomp442
03-10-2015, 04:22 PM
If you have hand loaded for 30 years why was factory ammo even purchased to begin with? I haven't bought a box of factory ammo since I purchased my first reloading press about 15 years ago. Fact of the matter is factory ammo in factory rifles rarely perform anywhere near what I would call decent regardless of type or manufacturer. Check your barrel and your tang and ensure they are floated and reload some of your own ammo before you write the gun off as junk.

keeki
03-10-2015, 04:44 PM
I've owned 4 factory savage 2506 rigs, and they all shot lights out with factory junk. 100gr corelokts shot great in all of them. I've never shot the 117gr factory stuff though

keeki
03-10-2015, 04:47 PM
I would have to punch out some loads just to see if I could make it run like it should. At least that would rule out a few things.

keeki
03-10-2015, 04:59 PM
It doesn't show them offering the lrh in 25-06

J.Baker
03-10-2015, 06:06 PM
What have I told you guys about feeding the trolls around here?

romad97
03-10-2015, 06:42 PM
I wanted a 25-06 for a long time. I finally purchased one before this past deer season started. Although mine is a Tikka and not a savage, I had very similar problems with accuracy as what you are having. I do handload and it took me about 5 or 6 different bullets and about 3 different powders before i finally found a load that would shoot sub MOA. I know this caliber is known for its accuracy so it appears that we both were just unfortunate in the fact that we both got lemons.

J.Baker
03-10-2015, 07:56 PM
It doesn't show them offering the lrh in 25-06

25-06 was available in the LRH last year.

rebelwolf10
03-10-2015, 08:40 PM
If you have hand loaded for 30 years why was factory ammo even purchased to begin with? I haven't bought a box of factory ammo since I purchased my first reloading press about 15 years ago. Fact of the matter is factory ammo in factory rifles rarely perform anywhere near what I would call decent regardless of type or manufacturer. Check your barrel and your tang and ensure they are floated and reload some of your own ammo before you write the gun off as junk.
Was having a hard time finding brass so went with factory stuff for a little break in and to get some brass

EFBell
03-10-2015, 08:41 PM
I have a 25-06 12BVSS that I haven't touched and it will shoot less than .50 inch when I can.

So do I.... OK, I lie. I did bed it but it shot great before I did the bedding job. I epoxy bed all my rifles now and sometimes I even tuck them in at night.

rebelwolf10
03-10-2015, 08:51 PM
I have checked the stock and tang. The original accustock was not free floated and has been replaced. Have tried two scopes with different mounts and rings. This is not my first rifle. Second scope was off another Savage model 12 that is the best shooter in my safe. Yes all the screws were tight. Yes there was clearance between scope and barrel. The muzzle break rattles and that bothers me but Savage said its normal.

flylo
03-10-2015, 09:26 PM
BTW the 25-06 was developed very near where I live.

flylo
03-10-2015, 10:32 PM
I only paid $1050 foy my 338 Lapua mag in a McMillian stock new. It's possible you got a lemon as I'm sure every company has them, look at Reminton 9 recalls last I looked.

J.Baker
03-10-2015, 10:34 PM
Eh-Hem! Buying and selling outside the classifieds is strictly forbidden - even for MODERATORS.